3DCoat Forums

Videos from the NewTek booth

• Advanced Member

William Shatner always a character. Who's the other funny guy?

The realtime renderer is cpu based but will be gpu supported in the future. Its slightly faster than the modo previewer but doesn't support all features in lightwave yet. I've tested it on volumetrics, particles but doesn't work. For the price I paid for lw 10, 495US, the previewer alone is worth it since fprime costs almost the same. And I get to upgrade at the same price 495US for the next 5 version of lw. Newtek is really generous.

William Shatner always a character. Who's the other funny guy?

I hope that's a joke but just in case, Dick van Dyke is one of the most well known comedians of all time. Best known for films like

Mary Poppins:

And course his own show, The Dick van Dyke Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajOV5VYdLXk

• Contributor

I hope that's a joke but just in case, Dick van Dyke is one of the most well known comedians of all time. Best known for films like

Mary Poppins:

Wow, Phil! Your either an old timer or an entertainment scholar. I'll bet that most members of this forum were not born when those shows were made. :rolleyes:

I wasn't born when those shows were made either, but they were on TV in reruns when I was a kid.

Likewise! Wish I could have gone over to see both of them, especially Dick Van Dyke. I didn't know they were at the NT booth until they had left. Oh well...

Dick Van Dyke does 3D modelling? I'd like to see some of his work.

They show a little the first time he was at Siggraph in 2004. This is Part 1 with his stuff, if you watch part 2 you'll see me. :p:

(skip to 6:20 or so)

• Advanced Member

Mary Poppins:

Nope don't know him.

Do you know this guy? He is also very famous. :D

picmz.jpg

Wow, Phil! Your either an old timer or an entertainment scholar. I'll bet that most members of this forum were not born when those shows were made. :rolleyes:

I for one was born while those shows were being made, so that's at least one of us. I find it hard to believe that even someone who was born this century hasn't at least heard of Mary Poppins or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo. He is fairly well known in Lightwave circles to be a Lightwaver.

• Advanced Member

Nope don't know him. Don't know Mary Poppins or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. How old are you guys. :p:Lol

Would it be safe to say that everybody know dragonballz? Its world famous but still I'm pretty sure some people don't know it. Hehe.

I'm only 33. I know how god-awful dbz is. Worst animation acting, writing, everything, I've ever seen. Even though Mary Poppins is older and intended for a younger audience you should see it, it's funny, well acted, and has won many awards including 5 Oscars. Surely you've heard of the Walt Disney company who made it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058331/

Trailer: http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1221919513/

• Reputable Contributor

Looks like they are making some decent progress. I noticed there was a SpacePilot Pro box beneath the camera, when watching Rob's presentation...then looked at the LW page and it appears to be supported in Layout and CORE, but not modeler. Strange. I think it's smart to upgrade the legacy (from 9.6 to 10) sufficiently so that people aren't having to wait for CORE to be completed, to get some of those features (inside the main application). I also think it's about time they did away with the funky default UI colors. Sure you could change them in the past, but the default is the face new users and outsiders see. I think bringing in Rob Powers to run the show was the best move Newtek could have made.

I'm curious how updated Modeler is (for v10). I might go ahead and buy a seat again (sold my previous copy) soon.

Bundling 3D Coat with it could help sell some seats (like the Vue 5 bundle did a few years ago). Don't know if that's in the works or not, but the blend between a LW and Photoshop style UI would go over big with past and present LW users. I personally think they should license a copy of 3D Coat with each seat, but put their own stamp on it...maybe rename it, tweak the UI to match LW 10's, as well as let their developers make any integration modifications they need.

It would be the first time a major 3D application had that much power to sculpt and paint right out of the box. We'll see how it shakes out.

• Advanced Member

I'm only 33. I know how god-awful dbz is. Worst animation acting, writing, everything, I've ever seen. Even though Mary Poppins is older and intended for a younger audience you should see it, it's funny, well acted, and has won many awards including 5 Oscars. Surely you've heard of the Walt Disney company who made it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058331/

Trailer: http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1221919513/

I agree. In general japanese animation is stiff and not focused on animation but more on story telling. That's why people like to read black and white comics and read a lot of books. Compared to animation from disney and pixar, its horrible and lifeless animation. But Marry Poppins, it looks old and cheesy I don't think I can watch it. :p:

• Advanced Member

Looks like they are making some decent progress. I noticed there was a SpacePilot Pro box beneath the camera, when watching Rob's presentation...then looked at the LW page and it appears to be supported in Layout and CORE, but not modeler. Strange. I think it's smart to upgrade the legacy (from 9.6 to 10) sufficiently so that people aren't having to wait for CORE to be completed, to get some of those features (inside the main application). I also think it's about time they did away with the funky default UI colors. Sure you could change them in the past, but the default is the face new users and outsiders see. I think bringing in Rob Powers to run the show was the best move Newtek could have made.

I'm curious how updated Modeler is (for v10). I might go ahead and buy a seat again (sold my previous copy) soon.

Bundling 3D Coat with it could help sell some seats (like the Vue 5 bundle did a few years ago). Don't know if that's in the works or not, but the blend between a LW and Photoshop style UI would go over big with past and present LW users. I personally think they should license a copy of 3D Coat with each seat, but put their own stamp on it...maybe rename it, tweak the UI to match LW 10's, as well as let their developers make any integration modifications they need.

It would be the first time a major 3D application had that much power to sculpt and paint right out of the box. We'll see how it shakes out.

The GUI has been in debate in the HC forum for some time. A lot of old time lwvers don't like it. I like it personally it fits with all the applications I use, 3dcoat, Adobe, 3dmax, octanerender.

Though the Siggraph event for Newtek was very good. Its good for newtek people. I asked some colleagues what they thought about lw10 and they were not impressed. These are ex lwvers we are talking about. I don't want to post in newtek forums about it because it needs the positive vibe.

There's still no rendermanagement in lw10(they should buy janus or passport), no CA tools that are added(maestro,messiah),etc.

The best that lw offers is the price as usual. Its affordable enough that pirate users will buy a seat. For the next 5 version the price will be less than 500US to upgrade if you buy before Q4. So that means when core 5.0 will arrive people will only have paid 2500US and hopefully core 5.0 will be the best of lw, the power of houdini, scriptability of maya, high tech as xsi, one button push make it beautiful max. :good: