3DCoat Forums

Aya - Female character

philnolan3d

But face needs a LOT of love.Guess n' Try until you get concept art's grin ok.

Face work will be really subtle and boring stuff to do to get right feeling.

Also,I dont think you are making any "wrinkly" details too soon.

Much of the finer details will be added later. The head in particular is waiting until the clothing around the neck and shoulder's is in place since I intend to move the head to it's own layer before increasing the res. Other details would be a waste of time to sculpt them all in only to have them covered up by clothing so I'm want to be sure of all of the clothing placement first.

• Advanced Member

coming along well phil but theres still alot of work to do to make her appealing as a character, you need to not only know anatomy and follow reference but also exaggerate reference and anatomy very subtly when needed for example her eye lids are very thin, make them slighly thicker to create a little shadow above her eye, also add a little shape to to tip of her nose and some slight edges to the pout on her lips and people will most like accept the character as a woman. Ive done you a little paintover, Ive morphed her and painted her to make her more like what I think you are trying to create, hopefully you can see all the differences eg my paintover has a much smaller less pronounced forehead and less bags under the eyes and softer larger cheek bones etc. You dont have to follow my paintover, take it or leave it thats fine with me.

post-1189-1282087769927_thumb.jpg

I find it absolutely amazing that Phil is reacting this way even on his 3d-coat stomping grounds. Your anatomy is messed up, man....

You cant add hair, or clothing, or armor until your base structure is correct! You keep coming back with these snarky comments and excuses but it doesnt change the fact that the end result is full amatuer-hour.

I'm sorry you think the world is harsh but its BEYOND frustrating to see you post WIP threads all over the place, farming for comments yet shooting the messengers. I like how you only respond favorably to the people who say you did a good job.

I enjoy helping people, I like providing feedback and I like receiving feedback. I grow as an artist because of this, and you would too if you just dropped your ego and stopped pretending for a second that you shit gold which doesnt need refinement.

You always get good feedback on CGTalk, and it seems like you get really good feedback here but all you're capable of doing is puking excuse after excuse about why we're wrong and you're right. Don't you want to improve? Or maybe you enjoy living in your delusional reality there in Philly?

If you dont want crits, why do you post for them? Just show people your stuff and say "Im not interested in feedback, just wanted to show off my work so far" then maybe the receptions wouldnt be so harsh.

By the way, fix the hands on your model they look like this:

americanwerewolf2-1024.jpg

I honestly hope that some day soon you have an epiphany about the true nature of why we all react this way to you. I dont know why everyone even cares so much to be honest, including me -- giving you comments is like giving comments to a brick wall.

I don't delete comments in my own threads whether I like then or not, I would be a pretty poor administrator if I did so. I was however concerned that the post might start further trouble when this thread was going so nicely.

I don't delete comments in my own threads whether I like then or not, I would be a pretty poor administrator if I did so. I was however concerned that the post might start further trouble when this thread was going so nicely.

Phil, I hate to tell you in such a public way. But it's been going on for a while now, and you censoring a post is the last straw. I feel I must comment on it.

You don't take critique well, at all. People just want to help you out. Always having a rebuttal to someone's helpful critique is a serious slap in the face, it's insulting and frankly down right ***holish. Take it with stride, use what people say to improve and thank them for it. I used to get kicked in the junk by a fellow named Rod Seffen. I certainly called him what he was (a jerk), but I'll be damned if I wasn't going to take what he said to heart. He was spot on, even if I didn't like how he presented his comments.

Further trouble? The only trouble I see is you censoring a post that isn't doing anything wrong, except giving you a harsh critique. Like it or not - The post is only trying to help. "Trouble" in your little world, is insignificant. It isn't a big deal unless you make it one.

Please, Phil, let's see you take some of these exquisitely detailed constructive critiques and apply them to your work! You will only improve.

Thank you.

I know it seems negative, and Im glad you understand. All I want to do is help this guy

It is my pleasure. Please, continue on. :) And, welcome to the forum! :good:

I was hasty and I apologize. Suggesting I could improve the shape of the hands is of course fine, the photo is, IMO, not helpful. I personally would never suggest someone's "beautiful woman" character looks like a monster. I am happy to accept any critique offered, some of those earlier in this thread were very useful and I got a lot out of them as well as applying many of the suggestions. Please if you have more thoughts I'd be happy to hear them.

• Contributor

This is all good Phil. it may not appear it now but all this advice is true, as to the Wearwolf post, I have to say that is what good crit is all about. Grow as an artist. I can see you want to improve on the Organics and character stuff so listen. Crit can appear harsh but believe me in 2 years when you look back at your work and cringe, then you will be very thankful. There is nothing like looking back at your work and cringing, believe me it much worse than taking the crit and getting down to it (Am I right???).

• Contributor

I have re-allowed the post. There is nothing wrong in that post, attacking or otherwise. Maybe a slightly negative tone - But, understandable.

Really Javis, it looks like flames to me. It purports to speak for all but certainly does not represent my perception of Phil Nolan (who has made contributions to this forum too numerous to count). I found the tone sneering and unhelpful and I hope in future that members show a decent regard for the feelings of others.

I completely understand where you're coming from Tony.

There is a lot stuff that occurred that led to this situation and that post. I hate to say it, but it's relevant even if with a negative side.

• Contributor

It's a kicking, it may be a bit excessive in the choice of words, but a kicking is a good thing. It means people actually care about your work. If you wnat to progress, you take it, you diggest and you surpass your limits. It's paintful to hear sometime, but like LJB said, it's much more easy to take than being reminded of an awful work you've done years ago because you didn't want to hear crits.

I agree with you though Tony Nemo, it's A kicking. It doesn't mean it should be something that comes too much.

In the end, if you hear, you make things you wouldn't have though you could do, and it's much more satisfactory than any "wow awesome" comment :)

I will probably try a quick paintover for you Phil, if you wish though, it may help a bit (but like i said earlier, i'm no master, i've a lot of kickings to get myself).

• Contributor

in other worlds - Better bitter truth, than sweet lie.

Sad to say, you are right. I usually (and, I admit, unhelpfully) pass on without comment. I find I am forced to comment only on stuff I really like. Presumably, I would make a lousy teacher. :(

• Contributor

Here's a quick paintover of the thing I would change, there's still lot of room for improvement, but I think it should help to begin.

Paintover here (gifs aren't allowed on the board, it's a shame)

On a side note, I insist: don't follow the concept pose for the arms, they're a pose a normal human wouldn't sustain, and it show muscles in a way that you don't often see, use the standard t-pose, palms down it's way easier, and the rythms in side view will become obvious to you... You can't sculpt properly like that if you don't have a very istrong anatomical background (I couldn't sculpt with that pose).

As for the hands, i can't make suggestion, the angles and resolution don't allow it.

The backplates (i think it's alled like that ?), I understand you want her to be fit, but they looked like an anorexic woman, that would be "ok" with me if the rest f her body was that way too.

keep going !

Thank you. There are a few things like the belly button and cleavage that I said before I'm not including. I'll look at the other stuff.

I'm not following the concept for the pose I'm following my reference from the Freedom of Teach anatomy models.

Nice Progress here :good: but I agree with Beat especially regarding the facial features ,the back and the biceps.

Its really clear with an animated paintover like this.

Thank you, I hadn't even touched the face yet, that's still to come. BTW I don't know what that weird lump was on the shoulder blades, I fixed that right after making the renders.