3DCoat Forums

Great model semi confusing video, I didn't even realize until the end that the right side was running backwards.

BTW I'm moving this to the finished art area.

Yeah, I agree with Phil. Great model but confusing video. I spent too much time trying to figure out the split video instead of watching the modeling methods used. :)

so cool! i'm loving your experiments/videos.

was the propeller made beforehand or in another program? seemed like it just appeared out of nowhere.

more videos! great stuff.

Yeah, I agree with Phil. Great model but confusing video. I spent too much time trying to figure out the split video instead of watching the modeling methods used. :)

I agree, it's so great to see Bay Raitt blowing our tiny little minds :D

Great stuff.

Guest Polygoon

Awesome! I really like it. Are you going to put the pilot in? Not that it matters, its still very good.

I got version 11 to work finally. had to go with the non cuda version because it crashed out trying to display a voxel. tried opengl and dx. non cuda seems to work.

I tried the quadrangulate on a cube and it looks like the new hard topology stuff isn't in yet?

here's the results on the sub.

128161094615.jpg

I was playing around with the shaders too. it sure would be great to use the cavity shader to help auto create edgeloop guides on the quadrangulated mesh....

128161087758.jpg

really looking forward to seeing the coarsify and hard edged stuff coming in.

I was playing around with the shaders too. it sure would be great to use the cavity shader to help auto create edgeloop guides on the quadrangulated mesh....

Why the shader and not just the cavity?

What will happen then on a portrait or a nude?

Anyway this is a great model, thanks for posting.

I got version 11 to work finally. had to go with the non cuda version because it crashed out trying to display a voxel. tried opengl and dx. non cuda seems to work.

I tried the quadrangulate on a cube and it looks like the new hard topology stuff isn't in yet?

here's the results on the sub.

128161094615.jpg

really looking forward to seeing the coarsify and hard edged stuff coming in.

Bay, what build are you using? This is the old auto-quadrangulation...not the new one. Your build should be 3.3.10...and I've had 2 nvidia cards (250 and 275) and never had a problem with CUDA. Supposedly, you don't have to install CUDA yourself. Andrew included the CUDA toolkit in each build now. So, maybe re-install the latest NVidia driver and re-install the latest 3DC build, and see if that doesn't help.

You can get the latest build on this page:

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5789&st=0

By the way, there was a huge advancement in Voxel Sculpting as of 3.3.08. Andrew went in a tore the guts out of the engine and replaced it with a multi-threaded one, and it has made a major difference....especially on a 64bit version. The MAC version isn't there yet, but should be shortly.

Thats' a very clever idea about using the cavity map to generate edgeflow. Perhaps you could e-mail Andrew with that idea. I'm sure he'd be glad to hear it.

Bay, what build are you using? This is the old auto-quadrangulation...not the new one. Your build should be 3.3.10...and I've had 2 nvidia cards (250 and 275) and never had a problem with CUDA. Supposedly, you don't have to install CUDA yourself. Andrew included the CUDA toolkit in each build now. So, maybe re-install the latest NVidia driver and re-install the latest 3DC build, and see if that doesn't help.

You can get the latest build on this page:

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5789&st=0

hey, thank for responding. so I downloaded the latest "with CUDA 64 bit" and install. 3.2.11 I can make a sphere but if I use the sphere tool or any voxel tools and I get this:

128193711008.jpg

I quit, install the latest drivers from Nvidia. restart.

now when I try and draw a primitive I crash out and an error about virtual memory not being big enough. I'm on a new machine. I'm making a default cube scene. I double the VM size just in case. no luck. something is wrong.

I've installed the CUDA toolkit just in case. weird since it was working for 3.2.8

hey, thank for responding. so I downloaded the latest "with CUDA 64 bit" and install. 3.2.11 I can make a sphere but if I use the sphere tool or any voxel tools and I get this:

128193711008.jpg

I quit, install the latest drivers from Nvidia. restart.

now when I try and draw a primitive I crash out and an error about virtual memory not being big enough. I'm on a new machine. I'm making a default cube scene. I double the VM size just in case. no luck. something is wrong.

I've installed the CUDA toolkit just in case. weird since it was working for 3.2.8

anyone seen issues like this?

Can you try to uncheck "Use Cuda" from the Voxel menu and see if that isn't the culprit? I have a GTX 275 and am using the Win 64 wCUDA and haven't had any problems. Maybe uninstalling CUDA and then re-install the latest 3DC (CUDA toolkit is included in the 3DC toolkit). Seems like it has to be something with the drivers causing problems, cause I've been using this latest build in each room for the past few hours, without any problems.

Once when I was having problems with 3D-Coat someone suggested deleting the Options file. 3D-Coat will rebuild it when started. It did fix the problem I was having, so may be worth a try. The Options file is located (in Windows 7) under Documents > 3D-CoatV3. You could just move the file if you're cautious, and then give it a try.

Greg

Ok. I deleted the 3dc folder and reinstalled and everything works. I'm trying to find the new topology tools that work, is it a change to the quadrangulate button? i'm seeing different menus that what i'm seeing in this screencast. I can't find any other menus... any pointers?

http://www.screencast.com/users/AndrewShpagin/folders/Jing/media/2efb7067-3cb9-417a-87b9-423823dedaa1

-b

Ok. I deleted the 3dc folder and reinstalled and everything works. I'm trying to find the new topology tools that work, is it a change to the quadrangulate button? i'm seeing different menus that what i'm seeing in this screencast. I can't find any other menus... any pointers?

http://www.screencast.com/users/AndrewShpagin/folders/Jing/media/2efb7067-3cb9-417a-87b9-423823dedaa1

-b

The quadrangulate function and menus have changed since that video was taken. But yes, the new quadrangulate function has replaced the old one and so you just select Quadrangulate from the voxel menu and follow the instructions. Andrew has added a wizard that instructs you what to do.

Note: The steps in the wizard are optional and you're free to just skip them all.