3DCoat Forums

3D Brush for 3D Terrain

jaf

• Advanced Member

Hi -- I was wondering how 3D-Brush would work for generating terrain, so I tried making a few to be rendered in Bryce. I didn't spend much time -- probably 5 minutes on each, and each was made from a cube. Just experimented with different brushes and sculpting. I textured these in Bryce, using procedural (textures.)

One of the harder things to accomplish in most dedicated terrain generators is overhangs. I found this is easy to do with 3D-Brush.

post-438-1199491741_thumb.jpg

post-438-1199492058_thumb.jpg

post-438-1199492586_thumb.jpg

post-438-1199492916_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Thanks! I think I'll try to make something better for Vue when I get some time. These were just quick little experiments. I need to make some "terrain" brushes.

I plan on introducing this use of 3D-Brush on the Bryce and Vue forums -- maybe I can make a tutorial (work-flow). :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I spent a little more time trying different terrain/rock shapes. In this scene, everything except the sky and plants was done by importing simple cube or disk objects into 3D Brush and sculpting there. The final texturing and rendering was done in Bryce.

I'm real happy with 3D Brush and the ease of making unusual rock shapes quickly.

post-438-1201218407_thumb.jpg

Good! It seems sky needs some additional adjustment to get better result.

The new version coming soon where you will be able to use greater resulution of basic wireframe You will be able to choose resolution of mid-poly mesh during import. Now you are able to set resolution only for high - poly mesh. I think this addition will be very important for landscape modeling.