3DCoat Forums

Venus faun and a fish

michalis

• Advanced Member

WIP, studies on roman portraits, in a way I call studies. More from memory than from a reference. More painting like, they start in 3dc and autotopo and continuing in zbrush. Background painted in zb too. PP in Ps.

• Advanced Member

I don't like this method moska. The problem with rocks is that I treat them as abstract sculpture. I really enjoy to cut hard surfaces and have a nice composition, clear large surfaces. Textures and noise patterns are welcome then.

For rocks, 3DC rocks. :)

BTW Using bump on shaders properties results to a bumpy normal map actually. For displacements I use other methods. ;)

Hey Michalis!

I LOVE your rocks! They rock! :) I read how you did it, an I have to say, that I only understodd half of it :D But if by any chance you have time for an illustrated, or maybe video tutorial...that would be awesome!

you rock! :)

cheers,

Adam

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Another wip, corinthian order.

This is part of a much larger scene, no need for more details. But sometimes 3DC is glorious. This didn't take much time. I sculpted this in 3DC, exported the tri mesh directly from voxel room to zbrush, decimator and UV master. Reimported the 8k UVmesh as retopo mesh and baked- painted the voxel as usual. No need for quads on this model. And a fast blender render.

• Advanced Member

Michalis,

That is very impressive. Can I ask (and Im not fanboying 3DC here) but what stopped you from getting to a 8k baked version straight from 3DC, instead of having to use all the other programs you stated above.

Cheers,

Ricky.

• Advanced Member

Thanks rich_art, wave of light.

First, its clear that there isn't one only way. I could use only 3DC for this. But I own zb too and I really like decimator and UVmaster. Its faster in this case because as a tri model is hard to click click for seams in 3DC. In zb I cut groups and these become UV islands. Not a big deal. The point is that almost everything is done in 3DC. The use of a decimated tri mesh as a topo mesh (as described in post #26 here) works fine for static models. The auto-retopo is out of the question. It ended in a complete mess, four times. Lot of empty faces which I couldn't close (who knows why). A manual retopo is pointless for a static model and a waste of time.

• Contributor

Thanks rich_art, wave of light.

First, its clear that there isn't one only way. I could use only 3DC for this. But I own zb too and I really like decimator and UVmaster. Its faster in this case because as a tri model is hard to click click for seams in 3DC. In zb I cut groups and these become UV islands. Not a big deal. The point is that almost everything is done in 3DC. The use of a decimated tri mesh as a topo mesh (as described in post #26 here) works fine for static models. The auto-retopo is out of the question. It ended in a complete mess, four times. Lot of empty faces which I couldn't close (who knows why). A manual retopo is pointless for a static model and a waste of time.

That sounds like an excellent work flow - I'm going to have to try it out. Thanks for sharing-

Greg

thanks greg

My attempt on hard surface modeling, but you already know me, no fantasy. I'm impressed with the performance of 3DC.

Was everything done in 3DC?! WOW and more WOW! Really impressed by this. This definitely has to hit the official gallery asap.

thanks greg

My attempt on hard surface modeling, but you already know me, no fantasy. I'm impressed with the performance of 3DC.

Was everything done in 3DC?! WOW and more WOW! Really impressed by this. This definitely has to hit the official gallery asap.

EDIT: How would you say the work speed compare to doing the hard-surface modeling in a conventional package such as 3ds max with the eventual detailing in Zbrush?

• Advanced Member

Thank you, all of you

-Lion heads don't indicate greek or roman, hellenistic architecture used them a lot, especially on corinthian order. But the reference here is indeed from roman temples.

-About hard surfaces and 3DC. Some ornaments imported from blender (now I see that only the one olive two pennies is in blender and base mesh of capital), but this is the trick. Some cuts, booleans, sculpture, (I may have ruins in mind), uvs and painting etc.

Its simple, everything here is modular, some of ornaments can be used as they are, some other will retopoed, its clear to me. I have blender and 3DC in parallel mode.

I have all the modules I need now as objs or and voxels. I can build any temple I like. A Tinker's like library. I could share this if you're interested. "Build your own temple" :)

The real power of 3DC IMO, is how easily you materialize the concept. I could use it just like this, even I couldn't export anything. Its of great importance for me.

Zbrush became more independent of topology these days. Is this true? Just try to construct this temple then. In half an hour I mean. Do the boolean operations. Do retopo. :drinks:

• Advanced Member

Hey, thanks.

Why not starting an open project here?

This could be great and useful for many reasons. A temple is basically a modular construction. We could build a shared library for merging, we could learn something and maybe help Andrew as well.

It could help stopping fights and some behavior... mine first of all.

Lot of fun of course as we need a kind of story. Just saying :drinks:

• Advanced Member

@Tony Nemo

Its complicated. It was the need to have a column and capital for interior use. Classical greek architecture came to what Parthenon is. The best intelligent extrovert building that world had seen. After that, interior became more important. A dorian or ionian order column was too "heavy" for interior use. So "extrovert" as expression of individual personalities and "democracy" turned to this "introvert" as expression of fewer yet individuals, leading to the emperor himself. As my favorite writer (P.Dick) says "empire never ended". So corinthian order leads to thoughts like these. Interior. For the few not for all. Not for anarchists LOL. I'm stopping here, I have to. Not "baroque" though because corinthian is much more elegant. And these "is the ... of ..." mmm greek economy is the barogue of european one. :drinks: I hope my english make sense. sorry friends. Cheers.

• Advanced Member

Thanks rich_art, to model buildings is a little boring for me. I had enough, as a member of SCF (sketchUp community) and some works for money. I just did it to learn 3DC-hard surfaces.

These buildings from the link use mostly procedural textures, you don't even need UVs for this. But not so convincing, only real textures work.

A question: what's the method 3DC uses to texture voxels? When using shaders with tex I mean.

• Contributor

just for fun.

Very cool! :)

You should put in finished section,it would really be cool in gallery even if its not a complete building.

It shows possibilities. :brush:

A question: what's the method 3DC uses to texture voxels? When using shaders with tex I mean.

Its called Blended Box mapping.

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/blended_box_mapping/blended_box_mapping.htm