3DCoat Forums

Venus faun and a fish

michalis

• Advanced Member

@ artman, thanks

Possibilities indeed, let me figure out the whole scene first. It seems that some archi friends impressed with this. Architecture needs a tool for sketching and figuring out the concept of a building. Measurement isn't important on this stage. Who knows.

@greg thanks man

@Garagarape, thank you, its Ps, just exported the alpha png and combined it with a photo from my window. Some pp for shadows color and a light overlay texture for fake GI like. What do you want to know about PP tricks exactly? Its all about noise, distortion-lens effects, vignette, a little bloom, overlays. I could write a small tutorial as we have a small nice renderer here why not? I worked a lot on archi presentations anyway, lot of Ps there.

Here I have a wish, Andrew, it could be nice to be able to export a depth map from renderer. Not really important but it can improve presentations dramatically. Not as dof (yes Ps can handle this better) but for fog or quasi volumetric effects as well.

• Advanced Member

Thank you Michalis.

As I don't know much about arranging pictures in Photoshop,

I can't ask precisely about something.

I usually use blur and sharpen on different layers to increase

the perspective effect, or slightly move blue, green or red channel

to make the picture more... I'd say impressive.

Probably have to work more on my own before asking advices.

Anyway, thank you for the "alpha png export" trick. I'll have a try

when my horse is done.

Looking forward to seing your next work.

• Advanced Member

thanks moska

unity walkthrough?
What does this mean?

@Garagarape

thanks, the most important about Ps is to understand that its better to multiply, screen, overlay a layer than become another "victim" of undoes. You'll find it more handy than just levels and filters. There're lot of tutorials on this.

• Advanced Member

This project is stopping now. I cant retopo, well I'll find a way, I hope so. 3DC is crashing and once again I'm cold. I started to believe, I should stay with my know workflow. Just a few basic volumes, retopo and go for zbrush as soon as possible. I wasted my time once more. Sorry. This app doesn't make my life easier. A mac user.

• Advanced Member

hi

this model should be hard to retopo anyhow!

by the way,how is retopo in Z?

theres also TopoGun,guive it a shot!

i wonder how you build such chapitel,radial simetry?

what about unity as the final step for sculptures and works we make here?

• Advanced Member

A first test render in blender, another thriller today. I experienced 40 crashes in three hours. Just when asking 3DC to export the baked mesh. Or when using masks for depth painting. Or trying to move an island. Or any time it likes.

I spend lot of time for just a simple export. Not funny at all. Completely unstable. UVs in blender or zbrush I used this last one just for this, can you imagine?

The most important is to have fun. :angry:

• Advanced Member

Just testing the new build. But I think I like what came up. Nice to work without any plant sometimes.

New mac build looks great but its to early to say. :)

Here a 3dc on the right and a blender render on the left. (some sss) A 3k model, autopo worked great this time, I think I begun to understand how to handle this.

• Advanced Member

Nice bust,love the textures,very natural looking.

I've just been looking through this thread at all your stuff,very impressive.

You have a good feel for the classical style.

• Advanced Member

Ha ha thanks. Nice to hear this.

If you like objects like these I can post you lot of good reference photos (all sides) from archeological Athens museum. Masterpieces. we're too small in front of these. But we can learn more about scupture than trying for hours from nude photos and anatomy books. I have deep reasons to say this.

Do I have to install unity player as well? Please, post a capture, please.

Update: OK installed it, how it works? But what I see is great. Well done. This venus has some wrong areas, you know already. Fingers on hands and feet are difficult to understand, especially the right foot. :drinks:

How do you find 3DC? The last build I mean. I'm impressed.

Update: OK installed it, how it works? But what I see is great. Well done. This venus has some wrong areas, you know already. Fingers on hands and feet are difficult to understand, especially the right foot. :drinks:

How do you find 3DC? The last build I mean. I'm impressed.

I lost some details when decimating her and baking out the normal map. Although even before decimating her she was a little lacking in detail around the finger nails and eyes. I couldn't add any more detail because that would've meant increasing her resolution to something like 64 million polygons. eek!.

As for her body shape, I agree, it's far from perfect. Although I must say the original sculpture isn't perfect either and so some parts I deliberately made them different to the original. For example her legs in the original model are a little strange. Interestingly the toes in the original sculpture are slightly squarish and so I decided to reproduce that. For some reason I thought her square toes looked stylish. They remind me of some of those old Russian sculptures with the deliberately angular forms. :)

• Advanced Member

Oh so sorry, I was talking about the original sculpture. Something is wrong there. But these are roman or greek copies of a masterpiece probably. Lot of aphrodite sculpts around the museums. I also used the hermitage version as reference.

You did a fine work here, please post a single nice frame. please?

• Advanced Member

It could be interesting if you could write a small tut like text, how you made it in 3DC? The body is excellent. Hands and feet are as problematic as the original LOL. But in my case, I started this in 3dc but soon realized that I had to do the base mesh in blender (I wanted to avoid retopology) to make separated groups and go for zbrush. The head was from voxels (I separated it in 3dc - topology) and joined it to the body (blender)) lol. I had to quickly hide parts.

So how you managed this complicated pose in 3DC?

• Advanced Member

Good modeling there! well well done!

Try to post some renders from your work. Start a thread maybe. Very interesting indeed!!! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

@Garagarape

Wow, thanks 3dc crew. I missed this. Honored. This is a 3dc only project actually. Rendered in blender.

• Advanced Member

@visitor

nice work!

so you can take the model into unity,but you loose detail on fingers and such cause of retopo?

i think its good to think in retopo for animation!

that way you can even animate walks,and even facial expressions with bones(no morphs yet)

anyway for *bas-relief* on temple fachades you better use normal maps in flat plane

@visitor

nice work!

so you can take the model into unity,but you loose detail on fingers and such cause of retopo?

i think its good to think in retopo for animation!

that way you can even animate walks,and even facial expressions with bones(no morphs yet)

anyway for *bas-relief* on temple fachades you better use normal maps in flat plane

Part of the reason why I lost so much detail is because I didn't retopo it. I just decimated the model and baked a normal map for the low poly mesh. It was just too difficult trying to retopo a posed model in 3D Coat last year. Well for me anyway :)

• Advanced Member

@visitor

this new one is the type of thing that i wold like to do myself,

first the use or light(and shadow)

then the bump texturing on floor(maybe a bigger map),pilars and surfaces!

and mostly the shader for the mummie ( paralax spec?)

althoug relief shaders are the most cool for better details,what you think?

@michalis

this was what i was talking about!

terrains,buildings and animated characters with nice shading and lighting without renders!the future of Khinema?

:drinks:

@visitor

this new one is the type of thing that i wold like to do myself,

first the use or light(and shadow)

then the bump texturing on floor(maybe a bigger map),pilars and surfaces!

and mostly the shader for the mummie ( paralax spec?)

althoug relief shaders are the most cool for better details,what you think?

hey, sounds good!. :good:

• Advanced Member

OK this one for stl export so carved on wood. Lot of limitations due to the machine, I had to sculpt in 'turntable mode', no under cuts. Not dense meshes. And to have a column like female figure. So here what came so far. The voxels model at 2M, the retopo preview at 3k and a ~100k zbrush after reprojecting the vox tri output. The stl was exported from blender using the 100k retopo zb mesh. (clean export)

The direct stl export from 3dc wasn't as good as expected. (lot of holes and a problem with scaling, Andrew have a look there) In any case I prefer a high density retopo mesh.

I used zbrush for this combination only and some fine touches here and there. (second image).

• Contributor

OK this one for stl export so carved on wood. Lot of limitations due to the machine, I had to sculpt in 'turntable mode', no under cuts. Not dense meshes. And to have a column like female figure. So here what came so far. The voxels model at 2M, the retopo preview at 3k and a ~100k zbrush after reprojecting the vox tri output. The stl was exported from blender using the 100k retopo zb mesh. (clean export)

The direct stl export from 3dc wasn't as good as expected. (lot of holes and a problem with scaling, Andrew have a look there) In any case I prefer a high density retopo mesh.

I used zbrush for this combination only and some fine touches here and there. (second image).

I'm not familiar with stl - will it be turned into a 'real' model?

No matter, this is really beautiful work.

Greg

• Advanced Member
will it be turned into a 'real' model?

Thanks greg.

Exactly so. I like to subdivide and work on the face but I'm not familiar with stl either. I'm not sure if details will work. I tried to keep a stylistic look, for this reason. These are columns in a furniture . Its still a WIP.