3DCoat Forums

Venus faun and a fish

michalis

• Advanced Member

Cool Rank Xerox!

I always wonder if Otomo was inspired by Liberatore.

There's a mutant in an episode (Lady Miyako's temple under attack)

that just look like Rank: round glasses, torn t-shirt and veins

about to explode on the neck.

Anyway cool character.

• Advanced Member

Never heard about this. Any link?

I'm not really a fun of modern marvel style comics. So few I know about manga. Just a copy of miyasaki's 'nausicaa...'. The films, I know them, much better.

Thanks garagarape, and its Ranxerox! you know the story?

I tried this just testing the shader, thats all.

One more version of the shader. This uses more blurred texture so its better for higher detailed sculpture and doesn't produce this annoying artifact when navigating. It also shows the right amount of details. You can tweak it with the libera one in the end.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gei873jaqe7xhrg/lib_bmax.zip

• Reputable Contributor

I maybe finish this,who knows. :)

I would hang this work on my office wall, as a way of saying to myself "Hey, make something interesting yourself today David" B)

The flat color shader's mask, nice going...

• Advanced Member

OK starting Ranks girl friend_Lubna.

Just showing how I understand sculpture and probably why I love voxels. Merging cube and spheres, grow, pinch, smooth tools. Move tool next. Drawing a curved face and watching same time how it reacts with a straight line. Dynamics, I call them. :drinks:

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for sharing one of your ways, Once I have a basic shape I have been trying out the paste tool to pile on "clay" and then forming those additions with the scrape tool. So far I'm liking the results. I have studied 2d art but not sculpture in the real world.

Sculpey clay would be a good clay for me in studing sculpture as it holds detail very well. We have a few real sculptures around our area, so I will be off to look at them again soon...

• Advanced Member

Hey digman, thanks. I never use clay in voxel mode. Just the build and buld + shift. Broad strokes, heavy engraving with build, then pinch. Relaxed clean strokes. Thats what I'm doing all the time.

Here, testing the new 3dc build export (there was an issue with mac build, fixed now). So a fast 30 min zbrush sketch for Lubna. I couldn't resist. lol

Of course I'll continue in voxels, adding volumes and decent retopo of course. This was an autopo export (MV) of the previous basic mesh. Similar technique, similar tools in zb.

• Advanced Member

Elegant? It looks like, unfortunately lubna shouldn't be like this. I have to give it a childish look, she supposed to look like a 12 years old girl, my god, full of drugs and... you know the story? I'm not sure if I like to make her so. It was a crit of the authors against a society of '80s, with some dark humor, I suppose so. :)

I'm experiencing difficulties to work on 3dc now (painting). In a multi-objects multi UVs model. It seems impossible for the app, any suggestions?

• Reputable Contributor

Clean lines on the work,michalis, I been trying out the pinch tool as a deformer as you suggested. It does make nice clean lines and has a wide range of usage. In fact, I've taken alot of tools and played with them to see how I can get the tools "to do what I want them to do" :blink:

• Advanced Member

Two fast one hour studies, a drapery and a portrait.

nice start!

I'd suggest trying to realize the jaw cheeks area with many more brush strokes. try covering the region with the "scratches" ( aka the "rake" at the workshop ) tool and then using a circular motion, buildup and remove until the volume of the jaw feels like's it's lying just beneath the surface of a damp cloth. in classical sculpting terms what you see beneath the cloth is the "volume". when you're ready, smooth it out (lightly) and add the final details.

same as you would in real life but without the hassle of gravity and symmetry.

• Advanced Member

Thanks digman, spiraloid

About jaw cheeks area and scratches. Well I made it in less than one hour. Its a 1M voxel and more than enough details for retopology. I just export it as soon as possible and do all these and other details in zbrush.

As a mac user and a 32 bits 3dc, the practical limits of voxels are <4-5 M. Or 1-2 M I could say. I need an excellent performance to work.

But still trying to solve real sculpting problems on this portrait. I'm not really interesting in pores and scratches now. ZB is much better on these tricks anyway. When I have an interesting shape of jaws (I'm not sure how it should look) then I'll have a comfortable topology for more sculpting.

I never acted as a real sculptor, when I'm in front of a side view portrait I never knew how the other side looks like. Or how the front side looks like. It is always a surprise for me, even in real life.

Unfortunately I worked with symmetry on, this is ridiculous in art but useful for topology.

We use to claim that its easier to model monsters than human portraits. We can freely do anything we like there, likeness doesn't exist.?

But my nightmares don't have monsters, are full of humans and stupidity though. A human portrait can be treated like a monster, the best way for likeness. IMHO

• Advanced Member

I maybe am completely blind or not the right place here... OK three questions:

1. what is the best solution for capturing video on OSX? I could do a timelapse tutorial.

2. how can I define profiles for curve tool?

3. How can I construct shaders with cavity effect?

My answer for question no 2:

When you activate "curves", then a splines window appears. Hold on one of the profile icons. A tooltip say you the path for the objects.

The default folder is ..\VoxStamps\Splines\*.*

Look into this folder, it should be selfexplaining. You can create your own folders.