3DCoat Forums
michalis

Venus faun and a fish

Thanks hervé.

Here's a kind of tutorial on rocks and 3DC.

I was playing, I used copy tool, I constructed some obj for merge, you know it was fun and great. But when coming to re-topology? Its hard.

But quads don't really help rocks modeling, these are static objects not for animation.

1. I used a 4x proxy of the rock first.

2. Exported a decimated version from voxels palette (always export scene) ~22k

3. I imported it re-topo room as a topo objected and snapped it to reference voxel model. I already had return to the original voxel not the proxy!

4. I did some UVs and baked it. I checked first for snapping related problems on difficult parts, I found just one mess and edited it a bit.

Why not? Finished hi detailed rocks (~ 22k). What do you think? Please some comments. I may be wrong?

I just have to complain to Andrew about the materials in voxels. Why they come so lighter when baked? Even with 0 contrast. Without specularity.

The first from the left is the ~6M voxel, the second is the 22k.

Just because I had nothing else to do this evening, a fast study on a Egyptian head. A hard surface like approach in one hour.

Nice Study here! :good: Hope you do more of those. :)

Egyptian sculpts are surely a completely thing to study,probably very different maths behind than Mayan or Greek sculpture.

Thanks Rich_Art, artman,

Egyptian sculpts are surely a completely thing to study,probably very different maths behind than Mayan or Greek sculpture.

Egyptian sculpts is a great study, first of all we learn that anatomy is definitely not the key for serious sculpture. As for maths, Egypt is Euclides, athenian sculptors - Feidias - are rather elliptical or even fractal. Mayan... who knows... 2012 is coming. :drinks: What is exiting for me is that these Egyptian sculpts are so old... 3500 -5000 years ago. They stand on earth, greek look rather flying. There is a lot of people that believes that a sculpt of Michelangelo is superior. Just imagine one of his masterpieces aside an Egyptian one. I bet you wont even seen it. I mean, after some time it will start disappearing. Magic? or just Art?

But there is this dancer girl of Degas, this is so close to ancient sculpture, weird ... the time machine. Giacometti...

We're trying to develop our skills and technics here... I'm wondering, maybe we should try the opposite.

WIP, studies on roman portraits, in a way I call studies. More from memory than from a reference. More painting like, they start in 3dc and autotopo and continuing in zbrush. Background painted in zb too. PP in Ps.

about rocks,if you generate a procedural b/W voronoi for a rounded cube (or else) and then use it as displace ,then you have nice base to start sculpting.others may not sculpt at all and proced procedurally!

I don't like this method moska. The problem with rocks is that I treat them as abstract sculpture. I really enjoy to cut hard surfaces and have a nice composition, clear large surfaces. Textures and noise patterns are welcome then.

For rocks, 3DC rocks. :)

BTW Using bump on shaders properties results to a bumpy normal map actually. For displacements I use other methods. ;)

Hey Michalis!

I LOVE your rocks! They rock! :) I read how you did it, an I have to say, that I only understodd half of it :D But if by any chance you have time for an illustrated, or maybe video tutorial...that would be awesome!

you rock! :)

cheers,

Adam

The more complex and detailed you'll sculpt it the more soft it'll look as a low poly export. Simple clean cuts and lot of custom shaders using seamless rock textures.

Another wip, corinthian order.

This is part of a much larger scene, no need for more details. But sometimes 3DC is glorious. This didn't take much time. I sculpted this in 3DC, exported the tri mesh directly from voxel room to zbrush, decimator and UV master. Reimported the 8k UVmesh as retopo mesh and baked- painted the voxel as usual. No need for quads on this model. And a fast blender render.

Michalis,

That is very impressive. Can I ask (and Im not fanboying 3DC here) but what stopped you from getting to a 8k baked version straight from 3DC, instead of having to use all the other programs you stated above.

Cheers,

Ricky.

Thanks rich_art, wave of light.

First, its clear that there isn't one only way. I could use only 3DC for this. But I own zb too and I really like decimator and UVmaster. Its faster in this case because as a tri model is hard to click click for seams in 3DC. In zb I cut groups and these become UV islands. Not a big deal. The point is that almost everything is done in 3DC. The use of a decimated tri mesh as a topo mesh (as described in post #26 here) works fine for static models. The auto-retopo is out of the question. It ended in a complete mess, four times. Lot of empty faces which I couldn't close (who knows why). A manual retopo is pointless for a static model and a waste of time.

Thanks rich_art, wave of light.

First, its clear that there isn't one only way. I could use only 3DC for this. But I own zb too and I really like decimator and UVmaster. Its faster in this case because as a tri model is hard to click click for seams in 3DC. In zb I cut groups and these become UV islands. Not a big deal. The point is that almost everything is done in 3DC. The use of a decimated tri mesh as a topo mesh (as described in post #26 here) works fine for static models. The auto-retopo is out of the question. It ended in a complete mess, four times. Lot of empty faces which I couldn't close (who knows why). A manual retopo is pointless for a static model and a waste of time.

That sounds like an excellent work flow - I'm going to have to try it out. Thanks for sharing-

Greg

thanks greg

My attempt on hard surface modeling, but you already know me, no fantasy. I'm impressed with the performance of 3DC.

Wow! That's very impressive!

I wonder how you managed to make the ornaments so regular.

Did you use tweaked primitives for the little details?

That's a very cool Greek temple. I'm kind of... jalous :)

thanks greg

My attempt on hard surface modeling, but you already know me, no fantasy. I'm impressed with the performance of 3DC.

Was everything done in 3DC?! WOW and more WOW! Really impressed by this. This definitely has to hit the official gallery asap.

thanks greg

Was everything done in 3DC?! WOW and more WOW! Really impressed by this. This definitely has to hit the official gallery asap.

EDIT: How would you say the work speed compare to doing the hard-surface modeling in a conventional package such as 3ds max with the eventual detailing in Zbrush?

Thank you, all of you

-Lion heads don't indicate greek or roman, hellenistic architecture used them a lot, especially on corinthian order. But the reference here is indeed from roman temples.

-About hard surfaces and 3DC. Some ornaments imported from blender (now I see that only the one olive two pennies is in blender and base mesh of capital), but this is the trick. Some cuts, booleans, sculpture, (I may have ruins in mind), uvs and painting etc.

Its simple, everything here is modular, some of ornaments can be used as they are, some other will retopoed, its clear to me. I have blender and 3DC in parallel mode.

I have all the modules I need now as objs or and voxels. I can build any temple I like. A Tinker's like library. I could share this if you're interested. "Build your own temple" :)

The real power of 3DC IMO, is how easily you materialize the concept. I could use it just like this, even I couldn't export anything. Its of great importance for me.

Zbrush became more independent of topology these days. Is this true? Just try to construct this temple then. In half an hour I mean. Do the boolean operations. Do retopo. :drinks: