3DCoat Forums

Gbball's sketchbook

gbball

• Advanced Member

@Pix Jigsaw

Thanks a lot!  I have a very long way to go though...my goal is to make stuff that you'd see on zbrush central but using 3d coat entirely.

@Garagape

Thanks man, he's a character I'm going to use for a basketball animation.  Also, I had to look up the navigator from Dune, but now I see what you mean;)  (Love your work by the way...wish I had your patience and commitment to the process)

• Advanced Member

Can you try LiveClay on the hair/fro, maybe using the Sponge brush alpha? I've used it for Beer foam and such, and it might work a treat in this situation.

I'll try it out, right now it looks like some kind of weird spagetti or something.  Hands need some love too.  Any tips on doing hands would be helpful, I always find them challenging to sculpt without a ton of reworking.

• Reputable Contributor

I'll try it out, right now it looks like some kind of weird spagetti or something.  Hands need some love too.  Any tips on doing hands would be helpful, I always find them challenging to sculpt without a ton of reworking.

Yeah, hands always suck. Maybe use the generic hand from the models pallet (I think there is a Body Parts directory with a head, ear, hand and foot), or the hand from the Mannequin model. It has stored pivot points at the joints and the fingers are parented, so you can just rotate the first segment to spread the fingers out a bit. That way they aren't so close together as to make it hard to work on, when sculpting on them, retopo and even skinning/rigging them in your main 3D app. There is a little bit of info on that in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THcJ1C4zpi0&list=PL0614F2A03AD725CD&index=8

Otherwise, the pose tool using the FFD lattice on each finger would work best to spread them apart and tweak their proportions. Attached are some Brush Alphas for finger nails and knuckes.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks mucho for the finger alphas. Maybe you can clear up some confusion I have as to which folders they go in, Documents or the app folder?

You can add them with the "+" icon in the brushes panel. I think it puts them into the Documents/3D Coat V4/Textures folder

• Advanced Member

Awesome,

Thanks a lot AbnRanger, I think I will try creating just a hand...maybe, each finger, then palm seperately and using them as merging objects that I can use going forward.  I appreciate the tips...

Actually, I've also found that centering the pivot on the area I'm working on while zoomed in makes a HUGE difference...It makes it so that I don't have to fight the camera anymore.

-G

• Reputable Contributor

Awesome,

Thanks a lot AbnRanger, I think I will try creating just a hand...maybe, each finger, then palm seperately and using them as merging objects that I can use going forward.  I appreciate the tips...

Actually, I've also found that centering the pivot on the area I'm working on while zoomed in makes a HUGE difference...It makes it so that I don't have to fight the camera anymore.

-G

One little down and dirty trick you could pull, is to retopo the base part of the hand > turn off Autosnaping > hide the voxel object > close the end with polygons as a base to build some fingers with > use the FreeExtrude tool to extrude/build your fingers (spaced out to make it easier to work on throughout the whole process...even when skinning the character) > make sure the hand mesh is moved to it's own layer > name it > drag and drop the hand into the the models pallet (may have to bring it into the Retopo room via the Windows > Popups Menu and dock it where you want it to stay) > go to the voxel room > click on the thumbnail of the hand model/mesh you just created > click SUBDIVIDE in the tool options panel, until it looks as smooth as you want it > click APPLY or the ENTER key.

Now, you not only have a better base hand to sculpt, but you also have your retopo mesh for it done in the retopo room. You also have just created both a Voxel hand model preset, but also a Retop hand preset, for future usage on other models. Basically hitting about 3-4 birds with one stone. :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

@AbnRanger, Thanks, I want to finish off the details on him and do a retopo and texture paint...Then if I continue on it will likely be some rigging and maybe animation in Blender.

@Thanks Taros! This is in Surface mode...I had it up to 20+ million poly's but then I decimated it (85%)  and got it down to 2.7 million triangles.  Then I started doing some more sculpting with Rapid 2 (remove stretching turned on) and Crease clay mostly.  It's been giving me as much detail as I need.

• Advanced Member

Only indirectly...I've found that the rapid 2 brush with remove stretching turned on will give me as much tessellation as I require...Also, I used Crease Clay quite a bit which is technically a liveclay brush.  So I did us it indirectly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

More progress...

Still need to work on the feet (shoes) and the back and the shorts and body.

I wanted to get a sense of what the face would look like with a bit of colour though!

-G

post-3280-0-61268200-1379916243_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Yeah, hands always suck. Maybe use the generic hand from the models pallet (I think there is a Body Parts directory with a head, ear, hand and foot), or the hand from the Mannequin model. It has stored pivot points at the joints and the fingers are parented, so you can just rotate the first segment to spread the fingers out a bit. That way they aren't so close together as to make it hard to work on, when sculpting on them, retopo and even skinning/rigging them in your main 3D app. There is a little bit of info on that in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THcJ1C4zpi0&list=PL0614F2A03AD725CD&index=8

Otherwise, the pose tool using the FFD lattice on each finger would work best to spread them apart and tweak their proportions. Attached are some Brush Alphas for finger nails and knuckes.

thank you

• Advanced Member

@TimmyZ -  Thanks a lot man, it's just poly paint so far, but it definitely makes a difference, you're right!

@Garagarape - ShaderShiny.3dcpack <---this is the shader I used...(I think so at least!)

@ABN - Thanks a lot!  I did tweak the biceps and arms a little bit from an earlier post. 

• 5 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Turtle-Alien.jpg

Hey folks, it's been a while, but I've got a lot more free time now and I want to start sharing some work again!  This is a speedsculpt I did in 3D Coat, took about an hour and 15 minutes or so.  I recorded the process also, you can see it here.

• Like 3

• Contributor

Nice sculpting!

At about 45 seconds into your video it looks like you are having a few issues with moving the forearms of your character with the Transform tool. I recommend temporarily splitting off the forearms onto a separate layer in the vox tree and then use the Pose Tool with "whole volume" (I'm not at my computer now to check the exact wording, but I think that is what it is called, or something similar) selected in the Tool options panel. Your entire forearm will turn completely red (no gradient) and then when you move it, it will respect symmetry. This is a very useful technique that I learned from Artman.

Just a friendly tip, I hope you find it useful!

Thanks for sharing your work! It looks great!

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the tip TimmyZ, I tried that and it works great!

@Aleksey Thanks man, I think I was using the sphere tool with very low resolution on the mesh.  In conjunction with smooth all, which I mapped to CTRL+Shift+S it's great block in tool!

Edited by gbball

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

For anyone interested, I made video overview on some of the cool things I like about 3D Coat.  It's intended for people coming from the 2D world looking for something to work with in 3D.  So I'm preaching to the choir a little bit here.  But I thought some of you might find it helpful or maybe will be able to pass it along to someone who is curious about 3D Coat.

Thanks friends!

-G

• Like 2

• Contributor

Yeah man! When you said the part about how you were jumping up and down because you finally found the software you were looking for, that was exactly how I felt when I found 3D-Coat! :) Thanks for sharing!