3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Contributor

При работе с вокселями если делаешь слой невидимым, автоматически выбирается другой слой. Это очень неудобно, потому что часто бывает нужно помигать выделенным слоем чтобы узнать что на нем. Было бы здорово убрать это нововведение.

When working with voxels if you hide layer that automatically selects the other layer. It is very inconvenient, because it is often necessary to blink with selected layer to see what is on it. It would be nice to remove this innovation.

Edit:

особенно неудобно из нескольких неактивных идущих подряд слоев найти и удалить ненужный. Было бы здорово вернуть возможность выделять скрытые слои.

when multiple hidden layers is a row, it is inconvenient to remove one of them, to determine exactly what to delete. It would be nice to return the opportunity to highlight the hidden layers.

По моему скромному мнению, императивно вмешиваться в действия пользователя - не лучшая идея для удобного интерфейса. Как и ужасно доставшие всплывающие окна, кстати.

In my humble opinion, force to change the user's actions - not the best idea for a user-friendly interface. As awful popups question windows, incidentally.

А в остальном все круто! :) Особенно шифт-снап вьюпорта и коннектор к майке. :yahoo:

• Contributor

It was done to avoid modifying an hidden layer if I understood correctly, but I understand what you mean, I don't know if we can have the two at the same time, so I'm with you as I can relate to been annoyed in other software with that behaviour :)

Also, Andrew, the bug I mentionned here, is partialy gone on my side. The substract part was "fixed" after switching to zbrush navigation back to my custom navigation. I don't understand why it did that but if somebody has it, here's the info. Now I can use the incremental render, and it's even smoother, really really smooth (I would say almost as fast as mudbox, which is "buttersmooth"), this gave me even more motivation to finish my current projects :yahoo:

Andrew, I have a question, is the new brush engine on voxel completely cuda optimized now ? Or can we expect some more awesome moments ?

• Advanced Member

hi

i would like to try 3dcoat on my windows7-64bits partition of my macbookpro wich has a nvidea 330 card.

should i download with CUDA or without?

do i need aditional downloads from nvidea for setting this up?

thanks(i own a mac licence i just want to have a look and compare)

Hi guys.

Sorry to use this forum for this kind of help.

I have 3dc 3.05b for Windows7 64bit, and love to test it on linux ( opensuse 11.3 - 64B) how to i install it?? :(:blink:

Where in the forums can i get help?

thank you.

Correction, version of 3DC is 3.5.05B

• Contributor

Попробовал воксельный скульпт в новой версии. А в чем заключается улучшение работы кистей? Как-то стало все странно и непривычно. Еще появился странный лаг где-то в пол секунды после завершения штриха, на вобщем-то довольно легкой модельке. Я некоторое время не обновлял коат, но вроде бы раньше не было такого лага.

Tried voxel sculpt in the new version. What is the improvement? Everything just was somewhat strange and different. And appeared strange lag somewhere in half a second after the stroke, on the model not very heavy. I have not updated for a while, but seemingly had no such lag.

• Reputable Contributor

I don't know that you would see any added benefit from CUDA on an NVidia laptop, as your model only has 48 processing cores (a desktop 470 has 448 in comparison). The manual states that CUDA usually doesn't provide any improvement over a quad core CPU if it has less than 64 GPU cores. But on a laptop, it just might...won't hurt to try it. I would install the CUDA version anyway. If you have to, you can turn CUDA off under the Voxel Menu.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gt_330m_us.html

As for installing Linux, I've considered that myself, but I didn't pay the extra $40 for dual OS license (Win/Linux)

• Reputable Contributor

Попробовал воксельный скульпт в новой версии. А в чем заключается улучшение работы кистей? Как-то стало все странно и непривычно. Еще появился странный лаг где-то в пол секунды после завершения штриха, на вобщем-то довольно легкой модельке. Я некоторое время не обновлял коат, но вроде бы раньше не было такого лага.

Tried voxel sculpt in the new version. What is the improvement? Everything just was somewhat strange and different. And appeared strange lag somewhere in half a second after the stroke, on the model not very heavy. I have not updated for a while, but seemingly had no such lag.

That's strange, cause it seems very fast for me...granted, some tools seem faster than others (Clay and build is faster than Grow)....but overall, enough to giggle like a kid on Christmas morning.

• Reputable Contributor

thanks Ranger

so i can use Cuda version and turn it off on voxel menu when i want,and dont have to install any nvidea stuff too?

Andrew has stated that the Cuda Toolkit installs with 3DC, so you don't have to install it yourself...but I am not clear if we still have to install the CUDA driver. I installed the latest CUDA driver and then the driver for the graphic card. But, again...I am not really clear on what is required. Also, be aware...something I learned recently...is that you may be required to update your card drivers through the Laptop manufacturer...as they sometimes have extra features that they have to incorporate into those drivers.

Hi,

very nice improvements. I recognize one thing

in the brush mode. If i select "draw with lines"

and the "draw" function, i was able to sculpt a

line on a round surface like a sphere. This works

fine with the old simp32_3.3 version.

post-2463-12903828973966_thumb.jpg

But now if i try to do the same,in vers. simp32_3.505b,

"draw with lines" isn´t able to take the whole projected

surface. It makes only points...

post-2463-12903829848663_thumb.jpg

I hope it isn´t a new feature, or am i doing something wrong?!? <_<

Everybody can test it out, if you take the standard sphere

biggest size in vox-mode and try to draw a square on the sphere.

So does anybody find it out and can confirm this?

Thanks & best

designamyte

Ps. it doesn´t matter if you are in vox-mode or surface-mode

Ah,

ok. Thank you for your testing -Tser- .

I liked the old draw function, because it was

very fast to draw / sculpt qick lines on

surfaces.

But now, it seems it doesn´t work anymore in

the new release. Too bad. Hope it can get fixed.

The advantage of the method was the speed. I know

there are other methods to sculpt / draw lines (freeze)

but they are tedious, imho.

greetings

designamyte

Hi,

very nice improvements. I recognize one thing

in the brush mode. If i select "draw with lines"

and the "draw" function, i was able to sculpt a

line on a round surface like a sphere. This works

fine with the old simp32_3.3 version.

post-2463-12903828973966_thumb.jpg

But now if i try to do the same,in vers. simp32_3.505b,

"draw with lines" isn´t able to take the whole projected

surface. It makes only points...

post-2463-12903829848663_thumb.jpg

I hope it isn´t a new feature, or am i doing something wrong?!? <_<

Everybody can test it out, if you take the standard sphere

biggest size in vox-mode and try to draw a square on the sphere.

So does anybody find it out and can confirm this?

Thanks & best

designamyte

Ps. it doesn´t matter if you are in vox-mode or surface-mode

Avoiding of diving into surface will be done in next builds.

• Contributor

Хорошая новость: странный лаг, который у меня был - пропал. Если снова появится, попробую разобраться откуда он, может в результате продолжительной работы.

Наконец попробовал "Zbrush - style" интерфейс. Есть пара моментов которые делают его очень неудобным.

- В Zbrush, когда делаешь pan (alt+ левая кнопка) pan прекращается если отпустить левую кнопку, даже если все еще держишь alt. В Коате, если альт все еще зажат, пан продолжает работать, даже если отпустить левую кнопку. Это просто ну очень неудобно на мой взгляд, особенно если между брашем и коатом переключаешься, просто разрывает мозг :)

- При переключении в Збраш-стайл, технология ротейта меняется с обычного ротейта на трекболл (ну как в модо типа). В збраше используется обычный ротейт, не трекбол! Трекболл ротейт - совершенно неудобно с планшетом. (Почему неудобно: трекболл "берется" обычно за центр, тоесть над моделью, что противоречит концепции интерфейса Збраша полностью, где для ротейта надо кликать за моделью).

В общем в том виде в котором сейчас есть, пользоваться невозможно, а хотелось бы :) Нельзя поправить эти моменты, пожалуйста? Было бы супер!

И еще хотел спросить, а реально вообще сделать так, чтобы мышь и планшет опознавались, и для них применялся разный интерфейс: для мышки обычный, а для планшета збрашевский. Это было бы очень удобно.

Спасибо!

Good news: weird lag that I had - was gone. Maybe the result of long use.

I tried "Zbrush - style" interface. There are a couple of moments that make it very uncomfortable.

- In Zbrush when doing pan (alt + left mouse button) pan stops when you release the left mouse button, even if you still hold alt. In the 3D-Coat, if the alt key is still down, the pan continues to work even when you release the left mouse button. It's just a mega inconvenient in my opinion, especially when switching between Zbrush and 3D-Coat. Its simply tears my brain apart :)

- When you switch to Zbrash-style, rotating style changes from normal to trackball (well, as in Modo, you know). In Zbrush there usual rotate (as in 3D-Coat by default), not Trackball! This is very uncomfortable with the tablet. (why uncomfortable - trackball cool for grabbing on center, and that center is over model, so its cant be used as Zbrush interface, designed to rotate when cursor not over model)

In general, in the form in which now is impossible to use. But i would like to :) So, could you, please, fix these issues? It would be super!

Also wanted to ask, is it possible to distinguish what is using now: mouse or tablet, and use regular style with mouse and Zbrush style with tablet? Such option would be very handy.

Thank you!

• Contributor

Actually default ZBrush rotation is a combination of Trackball and Axis rotation, you can rotate your model on all angles without the roll. Maybe that better describes it. Also Andrew you mentioned a check box for Hiding cursor so as not to use the capslock key.

- В Zbrush, когда делаешь pan (alt+ левая кнопка) pan прекращается если отпустить левую кнопку, даже если все еще держишь alt. В Коате, если альт все еще зажат, пан продолжает работать, даже если отпустить левую кнопку. Это просто ну очень неудобно на мой взгляд,

да создается впечатление какойто липкой фигни.

• Contributor

Actually default ZBrush rotation is a combination of Trackball and Axis rotation, you can rotate your model on all angles without the roll. Maybe that better describes it. Also Andrew you mentioned a check box for Hiding cursor so as not to use the capslock key.

Indeed, but there's a y axis lock option to do what tinker describes, just like there's in the options of 3dc regular navigation settings (rotate around y axis), but it's ignored in zbrush style navigation...

• Advanced Member

hi there,

i have a small question: Could you make GUI interaction independent of radius size without much problems? I usually drop to 0.2 FPS with my usual radius size. It feels sooo slow. Ideally the radius size should not have an impact on GUI interaction speed.

keep up the good work.

E.

• Contributor

hi there,

i have a small question: Could you make GUI interaction independent of radius size without much problems? I usually drop to 0.2 FPS with my usual radius size. It feels sooo slow. Ideally the radius size should not have an impact on GUI interaction speed.

keep up the good work.

E.

Do you mean Navigation? Having a Large cursor does effect scene navigation. i.e. Rotation, Dollying, Panning interaction.

• Contributor

eh eh eh, Well for those of us that do notice a diffference it would be interesting to see if this could be addressed, certainley brush size (Area of influence) has effected navigation performance for me and im sure others for a LONG time, Drop the size and the hitching goes away. I wonder if Andrew coud eliminate this by making the Influence only come into effect when the tool is in actual use.