3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Advanced Member

I guess sick kids are enough of a diversion for Andrew right now.

Family first, Andrew. I hope your children get well soon.

Bob

Amen to that.

First things first. I know this program will continue to improve over time...I can be patient.

• Advanced Member

I guess sick kids are enough of a diversion for Andrew right now.

Family first, Andrew. I hope your children get well soon.

Bob

Very true Bob, that goes without saying. Children 1st definitely..

Andrew

BUG with Regards to: - Image picker will respect usual navigation rules to navigate image.

It does not work if the Colour picker panel is docked.

Thanks

• Advanced Member

Btw, MeshMixer has one thing [not it's main purpose] that is really need in 3DC - details eliminator or hypersmooth.

It is even better than multiresolution, believe me :)

Anyway we have Raul for so bold experiments :)

I agree, this Mesh-Based Defeaturing is also very useful for Cleaning Up Scans

from undesired elements. Patching holes with respect to underlying curvature is great too.

This s an example of Geomagic Studio, at High-End (Scan)Mesh-Eding-Program for Product

development - it costs a fortune - how awesome when 3DC could do the same!

• Advanced Member

Btw, MeshMixer has one thing [not it's main purpose] that is really need in 3DC - details eliminator or hypersmooth.

It is even better than multiresolution, believe me :)

Anyway we have Raul for so bold experiments :)

Actually one thing I did notice from that vid was how intuitive the manipulator looks to use.

A bad manipulator is one of the main barriers between you and your sculpt. It's really important to get this right.

• Advanced Member
Dude.. Your a freaking jerk.. Read your post. Who are you anyway? Insulting and downplaying.. I'm turning you off.. You should apologize.

You should apologized... what are you saying now, what expressions are these...

I'm with Abnranger on this. Of course I can understand Andrew when he needs to have some fun, but lot of bugs in front and many more are coming. I still can't understand the workflow that Andrew suggests. Its me anyway, probably another 'jerk-contributor'

BTW this 'turn off ' is the most disgusting feature of these 'democratic' forums. ha ha , I'm sure that there're more decent ways to communicate. :drinks:

• Advanced Member

You should apologized... what are you saying now, what expressions are these...

I'm with Abnranger on this. Of course I can understand Andrew when he needs to have some fun, but lot of bugs in front and many more are coming. I still can't understand the workflow that Andrew suggests. Its me anyway, probably another 'jerk-contributor'

Aren't you guys using the stable releases for your work?

I'm in two minds; I love how open Andrew is with what he does and it's an amazing opportunity to see such a transparent development of a product I use every day at work. but... maybe Andrew shouldn't be so generous with what he is up to every day especially with the 'fun' stuff. Why should he be having fun when there are so many bugs. Maybe it shouldn't be any of our business.

I stopped posting here for a while because of the occasionally aggressive and antagonistic nature of this forum. It's not so bad but sometimes it gets too much.

• Reputable Contributor

This is a father to father post...

Andrew, I'm sorry to hear about your children being sick, I had five and went through the sick routine a number of times over. Children are precious as I just about lost one grown son due to him falling over 30 feet. He survived but still is in the ICU unit at the hospital going on almost a month now. He will recover and should be soon in a regular hospital room. So in all this I'm just saying please do not feel bad about taking care of your kids...

• Advanced Member

This is a joke right?

If I wont test the mac build now and start complaining to Andrew, who will? Just 2-3 more mac users here, I suppose so.

Instability of a beta 3dc isn't what Abnranger complaining for.

When I'm saying testing, I mean some serious work of art and not just some strokes here and there. A real workflow, because, ONLY then you can see the real problems.

I believe in a world of facts, not things ( after Wittgenstein). And most of all, I don't believe in fireworks, I'm not easily impressed. (but easily impressed from art, too easy I could say)

ghib, why don't you try to describe a possible 3dcoat workflow? Featuring all these new goodies, like live clay, great performances and how on earth you will save your great detailed sculpture trying to retopo and bake, trying to paint instead of sculpting...

@ digman, I'll call you later, I hope things are getting better.

• Advanced Member

I'm in two minds; I love how open Andrew is with what he does and it's an amazing opportunity to see such a transparent development of a product I use every day at work. but... maybe Andrew shouldn't be so generous with what he is up to every day especially with the 'fun' stuff. Why should he be having fun when there are so many bugs. Maybe it shouldn't be any of our business.

I stopped posting here for a while because of the occasionally aggressive and antagonistic nature of this forum. It's not so bad but sometimes it gets too much.

I agree with this! I think People who expect release quality betas should be using the last release and quit complaining about beta releases in the forums. There is valuable creative and innovative development to be done here + its a hindrance to the creative process and the complaining probably scares away potential customers. . It takes a lot of trial and error with good ideas to find one great idea. I humbly vote for less stable, more innovative betas leaving the finer details to be ironed out for releases.. I can only imagine what 3dc would become if Andrew was free to deliver half baked ideas to a welcoming audience that understood the value of play time. A 3dc utopia.

Anyhow, that's my last political statement here.. Back to the arts!

IC

• Advanced Member
I can only imagine what 3dc would become if Andrew was free to deliver half baked ideas to a welcoming audience that understood the value of play time. A 3dc utopia.

Thats really funny. Hey I may be pessimist but I can also realize that this exactly is what's happening. Abnranger's 'statement' was exactly this if I understood correctly. 'Half baked Ideas"

• Advanced Member

Thats really funny. Hey I may be pessimist but I can also realize that this exactly is what's happening. Abnranger's 'statement' was exactly this if I understood correctly. 'Half baked Ideas"

Did you miss this part?

to a welcoming audience that understood the value of play time

• Advanced Member

Michalis you take yourself a little too seriously mate. I'd be tempted to say lighten up and don't be so aggressive.

We are all 3DC users here (otherwise why would we be here) whether that be professional or amateur it's all the same; we want a stable app that can get the job done. 3DC seems to me to be one of the most flexible apps out there in terms of work flow.

I too am not easily impressed, I became a little disillusioned about 3DC when the whole Voxel thing kicked off and I saw that the Paint Room side of things was being seriously neglected (which is what I purchased this app for). We still don't have coloured Spec or Gloss channels for goodness sake. I have had to wait a long time for the Paint room to see any attention. I persevered with it despite it's drawbacks and problems and even managed to incorporate it into my personal work flow in several different ways. 3DC has helped me create some assets that would've been a lot more tedious and in a fraction of the time. As far as voxels go, they feature very very little in my professional practice. Why? Because I didn't find them stable/reliable enough for what I need. So I got on with using 3DC in ways that did work and for the reasons that I bought it.

I'll admit that I've been caught out by the regular beta release Trap. In the past I've downloaded and used an unstable release at work which has tripped me up. I've learnt my lesson the hard way and test new releases at home 1st within the work flow constraints from my day job. At work I use a release that I know will work.

There are many bugs to fix (now show me a good app out there that doesn't) and there are many innovations still to be made (which is, I presume, what these beta releases are for). The beta's offer us a glimpse into what will be possible which you don't get with many of the bigger names out there so I'm really grateful to Andrew for this but it's a double edged sword.

Andrew is a brilliant innovator and I'd hate to see that change.

I've found over time that it is predominantly the 'loudest' members of this forum that get their way and the quieter members fade to the background.

Noone is doubting that Andrew appreciates the feedback from the likes of AbnRanger or yourself but perhaps more of that negative energy could be focussed on Mantis.

This app is amazing for what it can do.. no fireworks.

Could it be better? yes

Does it have bugs? yes

Should I shut up, right about now? yes

• Reputable Contributor

Andrew and Digman: I too hope your kids are all happy and healthy soon.

+1. I was not pushing for Andrew to work harder, as I've stated many times that he's one of the hardest working people I know. I was actually advocating for him to slow down a bit, and just handle one task at a time, instead of trying to handle a multitude of feature requests and bugfixes simultaneously, all the time. That can wear him down quickly.

I agree with this! I think People who expect release quality betas should be using the last release and quit complaining about beta releases in the forums. There is valuable creative and innovative development to be done here + its a hindrance to the creative process and the complaining probably scares away potential customers. . It takes a lot of trial and error with good ideas to find one great idea. I humbly vote for less stable, more innovative betas leaving the finer details to be ironed out for releases.. I can only imagine what 3dc would become if Andrew was free to deliver half baked ideas to a welcoming audience that understood the value of play time. A 3dc utopia.

Anyhow, that's my last political statement here.. Back to the arts!

IC

Michalis you take yourself a little too seriously mate. I'd be tempted to say lighten up and don't be so aggressive.

We are all 3DC users here (otherwise why would we be here) whether that be professional or amateur it's all the same; we want a stable app that can get the job done. 3DC seems to me to be one of the most flexible apps out there in terms of work flow.

I'll admit that I've been caught out by the regular beta release Trap. In the past I've downloaded and used an unstable release at work which has tripped me up. I've learnt my lesson the hard way and test new releases at home 1st within the work flow constraints from my day job. At work I use a release that I know will work.

There are many bugs to fix (now show me a good app out there that doesn't) and there are many innovations still to be made (which is, I presume, what these beta releases are for). The beta's offer us a glimpse into what will be possible which you don't get with many of the bigger names out there so I'm really grateful to Andrew for this but it's a double edged sword.

Andrew is a brilliant innovator and I'd hate to see that change.

I've found over time that it is predominantly the 'loudest' members of this forum that get their way and the quieter members fade to the background.

Noone is doubting that Andrew appreciates the feedback from the likes of AbnRanger or yourself but perhaps more of that negative energy could be focussed on Mantis.

This app is amazing for what it can do.. no fireworks.

Could it be better? yes

Does it have bugs? yes...

The problem here Ghib, is that THERE IS NO STABLE RELEASE TO FALL BACK TO. I asked Andrew recently which one he considered the last STABLE build, and he said 3.5.13 was. All I'm saying here is...let's fix that. And for what it's worth, Ghib, I have sent as many bug reports to Andrew by e-mail or on Mantis as anyone else here. That's part of the frustration...that I have had to spend about as much time creating screen captures, uploading work files (which takes a lot of time with slow upload speeds), and then filing out reports on Mantis...as I have doing actual work.

• Reputable Contributor

AbnRanger, my post was a father to father post no more, no less.

I do agree with a you on stability, that is a +1 and agree also that Andrew is the hardest working software developer that I met...

I might sometime in the future create a teamspeak server for 3DCoat users where we can come and talk about creative ideas, ways of using the tools, things we would like to see in 3DCoat etc. Typing forum post is so limited and words are so often misunderstood. The medical problems of my grown children and schedule prevent me from doing it now...

P.S. Teamspeak is my favorite Voip as I used to fly online combat aircraft simulators and it was very reliable. Ah, those were the days of much fun. I was a proud member of the AKA_WARDOGS, my handle, Flyboy...

• Advanced Member

i like Andrews hands on approach, to be fair, its just Andrews way doing things. He feels good the way he does it and this is very important. I think we can support Andrew when we just keep on giving regular feedback and also reporting the new bugs that are introduced with all the changes.

• Advanced Member

I'm using the V35-14 build GL64 on Win7 64 bit (but also tried the DX64) with an NVidia GTX-285.

I'm following the 3DC3-2_VoxSurface-Draw.mp4 tutorial, and in the Surface->Draw mode, when I follow the exact steps to draw on the surface of a cube using the alpha pen on the far top right, I get a series of ridges drawn, not the smooth shapes in the video. My pen settings seem identical.

When I use the 'speckled' pen, what I see is identical to the video.

Am I making some obvious mistake? I killed my options.xml after installing.

• Reputable Contributor

I'm using the V35-14 build GL64 on Win7 64 bit (but also tried the DX64) with an NVidia GTX-285.

I'm following the 3DC3-2_VoxSurface-Draw.mp4 tutorial, and in the Surface->Draw mode, when I follow the exact steps to draw on the surface of a cube using the alpha pen on the far top right, I get a series of ridges drawn, not the smooth shapes in the video. My pen settings seem identical.

There were some brush behavior changes in Surface Mode since then, as Andrew rebuilt the brush engine from the ground up late last year. You may have to play with some of the settings in the options panel.

• Contributor

Try checking the use Old style in brushes "options" tab, it works for some brushes and somehow revert them to ancient behavior.

But unfortunately it does not works for all brushes (ex:Clay).Personally Im using an older build for sculpting as I cannot work with this it gives me too much ugly results.

• Advanced Member

There were some brush behavior changes in Surface Mode since then, as Andrew rebuilt the brush engine from the ground up late last year. You may have to play with some of the settings in the options panel.

'Draw by spots' seems to come closest, but is still far from the smooth stroke in the tutorial.

I saw your earlier comments on bugs, etc., and I'm in total agreement with you. If I were on a 30 day trial coming from ZBrush, and the program didn't match the tutorial, that might be more frustration that I'd want to deal with, and a crash might end my desire to learn 3D Coat.

I'm not at a skill level to see any real bugs or crashes yet, but I do see little things (like changing the density in VoxTree to 2x, 4x, etc. not showing up as being labeled 2x or 4x until much later).

There are many menus that are not visible unless you are in a certain mode. Might be nice to have them visible, but disabled and have a flyover saying that you must be in a certain mode to use them and how to get into that mode (as a feature specific tutorial may assume you know how to get int that mode, and will show menus that don't exist).

I believe there are lots of very small issues that could make it easier for a sophisticated or neophyte user to transition to 3D Coat, and that these changes could not help but increase sales. Greater sales means more top programmers working on 3D Coat and more free time for Andrew to dream up fun new features to work on.

Stability, consistency and ease-of-use, and tutorials that match - are higher on my priority list than new features (of course, I only say that as 3D Coat already has so many great features!).

Try checking the use Old style in brushes "options" tab, it works for some brushes and somehow revert them to ancient behavior.

But unfortunately it does not works for all brushes (ex:Clay).Personally Im using an older build for sculpting as I cannot work with this it gives me too much ugly results.

I see a 'Sharp shape (old style)', but it doesn't seem to have any effect for the top far right pen. If you are forced to use an earlier version, maybe there should be a few more brush options that will totally restore the behavior you are expecting?