3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Advanced Member

1. 2D paint, some random position for points

2. Load curve or make new one

3. Left click

4. ????

5. Profit! :)

P.S. Move points on some object surface, hide it and then use clear layer

Tinker, can you imagine the level of hard surfacing control we could get with planes defined by 6 or 8 points? Its like having swept NURBS guides.. Really Sweet..

• Contributor

Really need more control over the reference surface (ideal - with imported mesh or nurbs surface).

I can not imagine if this is possible to implement.

But if such control will be implemented - it will be a really new stage in hard-surface modeling.

post-1407-0-42027000-1299272966_thumb.pn

Javis, this PPP displacement can be generated from a new depth painted layer only! It doesn't contain any disp information from voxels room . We have to make this clear.

Yes sir, you are correct on this. I should have pointed that out.

Tinker, can you imagine the level of hard surfacing control we could get with planes defined by 6 or 8 points? Its like having swept NURBS guides.. Really Sweet..

Yes indeed. :) I really like having this kind of construction plane. Glad it's finally been implemented. It was on my list since last year's GDC.

The only thing I don't like, is how cumbersome it is to place and move the control points of the plane. I really think there is an easier way. (See this post and a few others below it: http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4372&view=findpost&p=59288 )

I know i need help sometimes. Some tutorials would be greeaaat. Especially if made by Tinker lol :brush:

Yeah that would be great!

Any plans on some tutorial vids Tinker?

• Advanced Member

Yes indeed. :) I really like having this kind of construction plane. Glad it's finally been implemented. It was on my list since last year's GDC.

The only thing I don't like, is how cumbersome it is to place and move the control points of the plane. I really think there is an easier way. (See this post and a few others below it: http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4372&view=findpost&p=59288 )

After using the plane tool for a while I actually found the controls to be well thought out and easy to use.. I do agree that the initiation of multi-point planes could be done in fewer clicks but I think manipulating the points works pretty well the way Andrew designed it..

There is a conversation about plane development here

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7789

• Advanced Member
Yes sir, you are correct on this. I should have pointed that out.

LOL, so, what about a possible depth map (DOF) output from render room?

Imagine, to project it as depth layer in painting room... what about this? I tested it with great success. I had to use zbrush to just produce this map (from dense quads) . Just testing. It works.

I asked Andrew for this but seems that its not so easy (as explained).

Of course we can translate a mesh as depth brush mask but I'm talking for real heavy meshes here.

I have been reading through this thread trying to get some info on whats going on with 3.5 and which beta to grab. but I see some serious forum RAGE with some of you 'contributors' with a heavy post count. maybe you guys should take a breather... 3dCoat is a commercial product and a business. nothing more then that. if you have a problem with your official 3.5.05 install then contact support with your problem. this thread should not even be open to comments. you all are extremely lucky to get a preview of what is "in development". posting bugs is helpful but posting demands for features and whining shows you should probably not post at all and take a break. unfortunately this sort of thing is almost inevitable because software bugs can be extremely frustrating. and new cool beta software can be addictive. that is why most developers do not have an open beta policy and forum like this. it is to distracting and demanding on the devs. reading through some of theses posts I would suggest that the 3dCoat team think about going to a closed beta. or locking there beta threads. these threads will inevitably turn nasty when people get angry over bugs.

to the devs: you are probably doing yourself more harm then good with open beta at this point. closed betas are much more productive and allow you to focus on your plan with out getting distracted by thousands of requests and features. having a small number of testers who work in games, film, give you focused feedback on what is really important in those industries will give you a far more accurate picture of the weakness in 3dCoat and which issues are important in the industry in general.

• Advanced Member

Great Andrew, I can't wait to get my hands on that Linux version, sounds like those memory leaks may have been the root of many of the problems I was experiencing.

T.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for taking the time to investigate the memory issues, Andrew. I sent you an e-mail with one problem still. It seems largely centered around the OpenGL version. OpenGL seemed slower to me before, but after further inspection, it's very apparent. The DirectX version is definitely the one to use at this point.

Thanks for taking the time to investigate the memory issues, Andrew. I sent you an e-mail with one problem still. It seems largely centered around the OpenGL version. OpenGL seemed slower to me before, but after further inspection, it's very apparent. The DirectX version is definitely the one to use at this point.

This issue with GL is related to latest drivers problems. I already written to NVidia...

It does not happens with previous drivers (It stared to happen after I updated drivers today but was not hapening on the same version before drivers update).

• Advanced Member

@brook There is an branch of people called free Artists that use this program and this industrious lot appreciates the openness of this forum very much. It's a beautiful anarchy that is not based in Hollywood only but everywhere on the planet. ;)

• Advanced Member

I must say painting speed in 3DC in since last 10-20 builds has been improved.Good job.

some minor things :

- more/less in cavity sometimes doesn't work well despite chaning cavity scale don't know why - anyway - could we get a slider ? for cavity scale and other scale next to the numeric value ?

- the 'Conditions' windows doesn't work well for me , I mean I can't clearly see what will be affected, is this feature working ok ??

- layer blend effect scroll up/down with mouse scroll like in Photoshop

- I wait for good AO bake inside 3D Coat

• Advanced Member

- more/less in cavity sometimes doesn't work well despite chaning cavity scale don't know why - anyway - could we get a slider ? for cavity scale and other scale next to the numeric value ?

At one point, very briefly, there was an extra slider for Cavity Falloff. Though it might have been a dream, but it would be nice.

I also agree about the Painting speed/smoothness, it's so much better that I do about 90% of my texture work for model assets in 3DC now.

So far the new release seems a lot more stable using my ATI card. I use to frequently crash every 10-30 minutes, while today I sculpted for a good two hours and still no crash. The mirror is still not perfect but prob 99% there. I exported my model from 3DC to silo and there were two verts that were not welded along the mirror plane. Simple fix of welding them, but just letting you know.

• Advanced Member

linuxicon.pngLinux build 3.5.14A uploaded. It is possible that you will need to enter srial number againg due to fixing some problems in licensing.

I may have missed some information regarding the Mac version but I had a look and its not been updated to .14a or does it already have these fixes in .14. My time has been taken up elsewhere recently so I have not had a chance to keep up on the latest news etc.

Cheers

Mike R

• Reputable Contributor

@ mykyl, are you experiencing any memory leaks on the current mac build?

Hey Michalis, when you import a mesh into the Retopo room, is yours off-center? Why is the Transform Gizmo not centered on the object from the start? There is no way to change it either (I don't see an options panel to adjust the gizmo, like you can in Voxels). Seems like this problem has been in 3D Coat for a long time and never got addressed, along with Transform gizmos not centering on the object/selected layer (by default) in the Voxel Room.

• Advanced Member

I'm not sure what you're asking. There's an issue when 3dcoat is trying to center a non symmetrical mesh after importing as reference. The solution is this trick: Import it for PPP etc. I think that Andrew fixed it in last build.

But this gizmo issue, I haven't notice this on mac build.

Hey Michalis, when you import a mesh into the Retopo room, is yours off-center? Why is the Transform Gizmo not centered on the object from the start? There is no way to change it either (I don't see an options panel to adjust the gizmo, like you can in Voxels). Seems like this problem has been in 3D Coat for a long time and never got addressed, along with Transform gizmos not centering on the object/selected layer (by default) in the Voxel Room.

I don't understand this problem. Initial object placement in retopo room depends on how model in voxel room was produced. Now centering is made in so way that if you merged model in voxels and then import it in retopo room then they will be in same place. I never seen that it is not working.

So please describe what is wrong.

• Advanced Member

@ mykyl, are you experiencing any memory leaks on the current mac build?

The main issues I have seen and stopped me using 3dCoat temporarily was the resize window causing a hang of osx. Waiting for either Apple to sort out the driver issues that I believe are the main cause of this problem or the build of 3dcoat that is based on some experimental thing posted recently to the forums. That worked fine.

Cheers

Mike R

• Advanced Member

Andrew, I still got a hole when "AUTO with mv paint", just 1 hole compared to many holes before, not too hard to fix by hand. My main problem is with the "_ more in cavity" painting, the result is not smooth, its like as if I was charcoal rubbing on paper over a mesh, I really hope you can improve this as its very important to be able to paint in cavities. The "_ less on heights" is nice and smooth, but you need to be on the depth layer for it to work which is very inconvenient.

3.5.14A (CUDA)(GL64) Linux.

T.