3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Contributor

When 3.5.21 64bits is out, just try the liveclay brush in surface mode with detail turned 0 and paly with refinesteps, it's just awsome how you can refine your mesh without changing much in the polycount, iterate that with merge to voxel to add support to your changes, and you've got zbrush quality definition on an ever changing mesh. Perfect combination, when a simplification control is added we have the ultimate weapon in sculpting !

• Reputable Contributor

One little annoyance I just noticed. I've meant to raise this before. Whenever you have a Voxel model and a retopo mesh, merging other 3b.files will wipe the current Retopo layers out and and replace them. Any way to prevent this, Andrew? It would be nice if any merged .3b file would simply add it's retopo layers and UV sets to the current one, instead of replacing them.

• Contributor

Hopefully it won't be long till we discover how far it goes :)

(I've never been so impatient for a build, reminds me of the unbearable wait before a new zbrush version).

(I was thinking about when andrew first psoted a tech demo of marching cubes for volumetric sculpting and how the software evolved, that's very impressive, I'm happy to witness that)

Yeah that's a cool video Raul, thanks a bunch for that. I hope that this is a global function, maybe put into the symmetry options? It would be cool if it was also able to support multiple axis symmetry so that we could sculpt/paint across a plane WITH radial symmetry.

Anywho, yep... Looking forward to the next build so we can try out this new feature and the update to LC. Thanks Andrew and Raul. Keep it coming! :clapping:

(PS - Do you think it might be possible to have the both of you do some bug squashing for a bit once LC is complete? I'm hitting a ton of bugs lately! Having both you gents on the bug hunt would be very beneficial methinks.)

• Like 1

i agree with geothefaust - i am a new user and its difficult to know what is bug and what is limitation sometimes as i dont really know if something used to work better.

great news that i have noticed cavity painting has finally been fixed. that one was a big one for me. hopefully that one is included in the next update.

• Like 1

i agree with geothefaust - i am a new user and its difficult to know what is bug and what is limitation sometimes as i dont really know if something used to work better.

great news that i have noticed cavity painting has finally been fixed. that one was a big one for me. hopefully that one is included in the next update.

In my past beta testing experience before 3DC the idea was "If it doesn't work the way you expect it to, it;'s a bug"

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

While I'm really digging the LiveClay developments and such, it really doesn't help a great deal if there are baking issues. You HAVE to be able to get your work out of the application, therefore 3D Coat needs to have SOLID and reliable baking. This should be 3D Coat's bread and butter. All the advanced sculpting features don't mean a thing if you can't get a decent finished result. It has and continues to be so fickle and rather unpredictable. Is the voxel model in Surface mode or volume? Is auto-smoothing enabled? Is Weld Vertices enabled? So many darn variables that can make the baking result hit or miss.

I also feel it's far more critical (than enhanced Sculpting capabilities) to get true ambient occlusion baking, whether merging to or baking from, the Paint room. This has been requested for a long time. The occlusion baking from the Retopo Room leaves a lot to be desired, and has almost no options whatsoever. The painting toolset is top notch and needs real ambient occlusion to make it (more) complete.

So after the LiveClay variant, Subcells in Voxel Volume (dynamic Voxel resolution) is implemented and working right, I hope Andrew can visit the baking side of things.

yes i agree on this also - i recently spent a day trying to bake my voxel details as a displacement map to the paint room, PP cant bake displacement - i wonder why ? can that be solved ? because that would be huge.

MV can but i could not get a working model out. It crashed alot and nothing usable was in my hands after a day. Sure I am first to admit i am a new user , the cavity map was of course a bug, but my baking problems i cant be sure if that was user error or not but PP seems the stronger paint method and i just wish it could bake displacement.

• Advanced Member

I usually just dump the raw mesh over to a 3d app to do AO bakes. Sux because it's the one reason I need to leave the app. Live clay has created some instability in exporting for this process - 3dc was crashing when trying to export a 4.5 million tri mesh. Hopefully the bug gets ironed out. Someday it would be nice to do full AO bakes in 3dc though.

While I'm really digging the LiveClay developments and such, it really doesn't help a great deal if there are baking issues. You HAVE to be able to get your work out of the application, therefore 3D Coat needs to have SOLID and reliable baking. This should be 3D Coat's bread and butter. All the advanced sculpting features don't mean a thing if you can't get a decent finished result. It has and continues to be so fickle and rather unpredictable. Is the voxel model in Surface mode or volume? Is auto-smoothing enabled? Is Weld Vertices enabled? So many darn variables that can make the baking result hit or miss.

I also feel it's far more critical (than enhanced Sculpting capabilities) to get true ambient occlusion baking, whether merging to or baking from, the Paint room. This has been requested for a long time. The occlusion baking from the Retopo Room leaves a lot to be desired, and has almost no options whatsoever. The painting toolset is top notch and needs real ambient occlusion to make it (more) complete.

So after the LiveClay variant, Subcells in Voxel Volume (dynamic Voxel resolution) is implemented and working right, I hope Andrew can visit the baking side of things.

This! Thats the only thing i have against voxels, you can't just brute force extract your work from 3D-coat, like you would do with Sculptris/ZB/MeshMixer and bake the maps somewhere else.

Also a way to bake the Lightning to the model (meaning the lightning you get in the Render Tab, would be a win!

Looking forward to try 3.5.21 tomorrow

This! Thats the only thing i have against voxels, you can't just brute force extract your work from 3D-coat, like you would do with Sculptris/ZB/MeshMixer and bake the maps somewhere else.

Sure you can, just go to File > Export Model

Updated to 3.5.21 [beta] Win version uploaded, Mac and Linux expecetd soon.

- Important step forward! I made Boolean cutting the surface with E panel rectangle/lasso/ellipse/… I finally achieved very good stability and speed in boolean cut with very many sequential booleans - http://bit.ly/llo2IB

- Auto Scale in UV room will work correctly with multiple UV islands that cover each other.

- Longstanding & longwaited cavity painting problem resolved - http://bit.ly/jQws8X

- Displacement export issue fixed - http://bit.ly/kFnQ3G

- Fixed non-quad maps padding problem for PSD export - http://bit.ly/jezxLQ

- Objects/Matrials panels problem resolved - http://bit.ly/lxpFgv

- Transform gizmo in retopo tool got "To local space" button to orient gizmo according to main axis of selected elements. It orients gizmo really smartly according to selected elements.

- Image along spline problem solved - http://bit.ly/jsbl9X

- Palette window problem solved - http://bit.ly/jFKQAI

- Resolved hide issue - http://bit.ly/li2vmX

- Solved problem of possible incompatibility of 3B files between platforms when voxel curves are used.

!!! LiveClay updated only a bit, triangulation quality improved, but all very last changes are not included, they are too raw.

• Advanced Member

When LMB on LiveClay under Voxels panel then trying to brush on a standard voxel sphere 3d-Coat-V35-21-CUDA64 crashes.

This appears to happen in Voxel mode , Surface mode seems to work ok.

post-536-0-16727900-1309253671_thumb.jpg

• Applink Developer

When LMB on LiveClay under Voxels panel then trying to brush on a standard voxel sphere 3d-Coat-V35-21-CUDA64 crashes.

Confirmed. Works in CUDA32 but not in CUDA64bit.

I can see that baking into micro-verts is a lot better now. Thanks Andrew and Raul.

• Contributor

That's what I call an alpha ;)

It's completely broken. I'll try a quick resume of my journey in a few minutes:

First try: medium spehre from startup menu, voxel grow : grow01.jpg

Second start:

Medium sphere from startup menu, click: secondstartltl.jpg

Third start:

Medium sphere from startup^menu, click:thirdstartltl.jpg

That last message also happens when loading a 3b file.

So I guess I must use 32 bits (which doesn't have those bugs but others) for now... (I've not downloaded the latest x32 though, It's the one that was on the server last week, maybe the problem is there in the newest version)