3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

Three hours now, testing everything.

It's a great build. Thank you.

Exporting decimated meshes under voxels palette is really great. Such "humble improvements" make my day.

Just minor problems with clone tool in MV mode.

The usual "a little blurred hi poly export" though (MV mode) - displacement maps.

Though LC works fine, I can't do anything serious, tools are needed... tools like sculptris tools, zb tools.

I prefer to work in voxels mode, these simple tools work better for me. But this is only my opinion I guess.

Excellent work Andrew and Sergyi!

Thank you! It makes my day :)

• Applink Developer

Three hours now, testing everything.

It's a great build. Thank you.

Exporting decimated meshes under voxels palette is really great. Such "humble improvements" make my day.

I agree 100% I have exported LC sculpts into blender/v-ray and results are stunning :) No holes or spikes.

• Advanced Member

Really liking LC. Pens do a fantastic job sculpting, especially using discreet dot option, its like merging objects to the surface only faster.

I have noticed when using other pen options that the result most of the time, is like having strips on, yet I don't have it activated. I have tried varying the "refine steps" option but still the same. Am I missing something?

Great work and Thank you Andrew & Sergyi.

Hello Creator! 3D-Coat has been built against CUDA Toolkit 3.0. Please pay attention, that there are multiple packages of CUDA Toolkit for different Linux distributions on the official NVIDIA site. And the libraries in each package have different size. So it is risky to include libraries from one of those CUDA Toolkit packages within 3D-Coat package. This is not like in Windows, where there is only one CUDA Toolkit package. According to the NVIDIA manuals this is typical way of deploying CUDA compatible applications under Linux: CUDA Toolkit should be installed separately. If you have application which requires CUDA Toolkit 4.0, it is possible to install it side-by-side with CUDA Toolkit 3.0.

Thanks for clarification. Sometimes all that linuxs drivers stuff is confusing.

About new simplification during export - it works perfect :) I was working on a vehicle for Warhammer 40k, and prepared parts for 3d printing/prototyping. For example from 3 million poly/tri part I reduced to 30 000 tris and shape is really nice preserved. Good work!!

I agree, 3.5.23C is a pretty stable build for having such a new feature in it (LC). I'm calling this one a stable build! Thanks Andrew, Raul and Sergyi for your hard work and efforts! It is super appreciated. If you guys were nearby, I'd get you a drink or a sundae! (I know you Andrew, you'd go for the sundae, lol.) :drinks:

• Advanced Member

With the Linux version I still have issues switching from Paint room to Voxel room, the UI doesn't update properly, you have to click into another room and then back for it to update properly, apart from that its pretty stable.

Since I'm painting a lot lately there one old silly bug that's been bothering me. The Render room will only render if the brush tool is selected in the Paint room. Pick any other painting tool and it won't render. No big crashes though, I agree that this build is pretty stable.

• Advanced Member

Live clay has a major problem. Sometimes it results to more than 24 edges on vertices. This is fatal error. The file won't open on other apps or try to reduce or add geometry or even smooth it in 3dcoat and have some nice holes. Easy to reproduce it using stamp on a low density base. For instance: Ask for extreme resolution on a specific area of a 10k mesh.

Edit: sculptris has a very smooth way to add geometry in specific areas. It does lot of calculations and this is the reason for a rather slow performance sometimes. In fact closing dynamic tessellation makes it very very fast even on dense meshes. When 3dcoat will manage to calculate all what is needed... we'll see how fast it will be. Don't expect cuda to save time in this case. It's a cpu based calculation.

BTW It's hard to keep pressing W all the time. LOL

post-2454-0-42555700-1313667681_thumb.jp

Andrew, the Crashes with Stamp are still there here.When I download I still get the August 7 version of Win 64 Cuda...maybe an oversight?

I can confirm this - LC still crashing when using stamps.

• Advanced Member

Andrew, I have noticed that the slowdown when working sculpting voxels is back, I also noticed it the other day when painting in the paint room, after you have been working for a while, either painting or sculpting, there appears a time delay after each brush stroke. The only way to cure the problem and get back to normal painting or sculpting is to toggle proxy mode on, then off. This seems to reset something which removes the delay after each stroke. Toggling the proxy mode even works if you are only painting in the paint room and have no voxel sculpt. Is there any way of fixing this annoying behaviour?

T.

• Advanced Member

BeatKitano

Please check the behavior of these tools when in lock to zoom mode. A very useful (ZB like) behavior, especially under LC. But it works with an unpredictable way. The surface of the mesh seems to affect it.

• Reputable Contributor

Andrew,could Copy tool works with E-panel please??? ...using brush is cool but in some cases splines are needed,

especially when making shells for clothes or armors.

It already works...via the clone tool. I was using it just the other day. Very same functionality. You just couldn't use the brushes. Now you can...but it seems Andrew put that capability in the Copy tool. They should be joined into one tool, in my opinion. Way too similar and thus more confusing for new users.

Updated to 3.5.24 [beta] (Win now, Mac+Linux expected today or tomorrow)

- Updated LiveClay brushes.

- Copy tool got rich improvement - respects alphas, makes optional extrusion, may copy just surface - http://t.co/U0acUZY . It may copy just surface if need - super cool to create clothes, stamp logos, shells - http://t.co/gjcmrwL . In general it allows you to paint over voxel model with different colors/shaders, of course without blending - http://t.co/WcbU470

- Looks like I achieved some good success in seamlessness in PPP - see - http://t.co/oHzUTzO . Baking voxels->ppp got even better seamlessness.

- I made Import->Import geometry in paint room. In so way you will be able to change geometry/topology in external editor preserving layers. Imported geometry may have changed topology but UV confoguration should be preserved at least approximately. It will work only for ppp.

- You will be able to replace geometry in scene using AppLinks - http://bit.ly/mZqW11 . AppLinks will not require modification.

- VoxTree->RMB->Extrude will correcty work with freeze in surface mode. It is important go get accurate shells, also for dental modeling.

- LiveClay will work correctly in stamp modes.

- Voxel export with simplification improved again to avoid non-manifolds.

- Deleting instance issue resolved - http://www.3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=330

- Export curve profile problem resolved - http://bit.ly/qYXBlm

- The problem of darkening while smoothing in Win 64 build resolved - http://t.co/kH6Jzgl

- Projection painting in Photoshop improved a bit - now yo may edit projection being inside of object (example - skybox).

- Fixed painting over UV problem - if island is off 0..1 painting/picking in uv/texture window will work correctly.

- Fixed cylinder unwrap issue or OSX 64 bit.

- Text/Picture/Curve tool node deleting bug fixed - http://bit.ly/o2lHbG

• Contributor

Congratulation Raul, TubeClay brush feels very good.Really a Five star brush.(even better than Sculptris Clay mode) :good:

I think Wrinkle should be renamed "LC Pinch"...

it does not do wrinkle really,to get wrinkle effect you need to mix the pinching effect with "draw brush" in/out behavior.

SnakeClay is excellent too,very smooth and very predictable!

(...but they all just missing "invert tool action" checkbox)

I think as far as naming goes just a LC prefix would be better than just adding the word Clay which can lead to confusion.

just suggestions :) :

LC Pinch (Wrinkleclay)

LC Clay(tubeclay)

LC Snake (SnakeClay)

Nice work guys! :brush:

• Advanced Member

+1 artman. For renaming LC tools.

- I made Import->Import geometry in paint room. In so way you will be able to change geometry/topology in external editor preserving layers. Imported geometry may have changed topology but UV confoguration should be preserved at least approximately. It will work only for ppp.

Looks like a miracle. How is this possible?

• Applink Developer

Great update. REally nice new LC tools to play with. Only thing is when you paint LC in the low mesh density area. breakes the mesh.

But even then LC stroke looks really clean and nice. So LC shaping up to be something really great for sure :)

• Advanced Member
Only thing is when you paint LC in the low mesh density area. breakes the mesh.

Repeating myself, a smoother and wider dynamic tessellation is needed. Don't try to make performance of the tool faster than it can be. Now, some huge stars around details are creating. This isn't good.