3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

Hi guys!

There's no need to start a flame wars on what paradigm is better: polygons or voxels, both have advantages and disadvantages over each other and I think the solution is not to drop one branch for the sake of the other, loosing FLEXIBILITY with this action, instead we should strive to always get better in both fronts, at the end artists will be the real winners, since freedom of choice and workflow flexibility if very important. Of course, in time there will be artist that may prefer one approach or another and will get specialized on that but it doesn't mean THAT is the only way... there will be always users that want full control of tools and there will be the same mount that would like more simplicity on tools, that we need to improve GUI, Tools, etc? yes, we know that and we thanks the community for telling us your needs, and most important, we are working toward that :) I like 3DCoat for the huge margin of grow it still have and the potential, just as I like Blender. Desired changes will happen, though certainly not overnight, remember we as a developers should never loose the joy, curiosity, freedom and experimentation to make incredible tools, programming is also a creation process as someone shape an incredible complex and beatiful model over weeks.

Cheers

• Contributor

remember we as a developers should never loose the joy, curiosity, freedom and experimentation to make incredible tools, programming is also a creation process as someone shape an incredible complex and beatiful model over weeks.

People tend to forget that a lot when addressing developers.

• Reputable Contributor

That's not correct.Voxels were used for nearly 20 years in commercial 3D Applications before they were implemented in 3DCoat.

Andrew was the first to make Voxels available in an affordable program though and he took significant steps to develop them further.

:rolleyes: Good grief...why did I have a slight hunch you, and only you, would take the statement out of context (Voxels vs LiveClay) just for the sake of arguing. We all know about the several thousand dollar Claytools, but in this market segment, Voxels and Andrew's implementation of it, is unique. He invested a ton of brain equity into it, and therefore it isn't going to allow it to become obsolete, with or without LiveClay.

http://www.sensable.com/products-claytools-system.htm

I know I've mentioned Sensable's (Voxels) toolset years ago, in past posts. We are all also quite aware that Voxels are commonly used in VFX tools (Lightwaves "HyperVOXELS" as well as most Fluid/Smoke/Fire systems). I can see now that I have to waste valuable time elaborating on and qualify everything I say now, just to prevent you from twisting my words.

I say that ZBrush and Mudbox has icons for their brushes/tools with visually descriptive representations, and for some reason you feel the need to correct that. :rolleyes:

• Advanced Member

:rolleyes: Why did I have a slight hunch you, and only you, would take the statement out of context (Voxels vs LiveClay) just for the sake of arguing. We all know about the several thousand dollar Claytools, but in this market segment, Voxels and Andrew's implementation of it, is unique. He invested a lot of brain equity into it, and therefore it isn't going to be obsolete, with or without LiveClay.

I can refrain from commenting on even very questionable thesis - at least most of the time.

But posting objectively wrong statements on technical achievements doesn't do the Pioneers work justice.

Like it or not - this needs correction.

Furher Andrew's Implementation of Voxels is not fundamentally different from Sensables - it however in many Tools

is more refined, inside other Tools again Sensable has more sophisticated Solutions to offer.

• Reputable Contributor

I can refrain from commenting on even very questionable thesis - at least most of the time.

But posting objectively wrong statements on technical achievements doesn't do the Pioneers work justice.

Like it or not - this needs correction.

Furher Andrew's Implementation of Voxels is not fundamentally different from Sensables - it however in many Tools

is more refined, inside other Tools again Sensable has more sophisticated Solutions to offer.

If I say "Volume Mode," only you would feel the need to say "there is no volume mode in the toolset" :rolleyes: Most everyone knows what is being implied...except you. I mention that LiveClay could adopt ICONS with visually descriptive representations of the brush function...like ZBrush's Brushes pallet/panel or Mudbox's...and guess who HAS to try and correct that? You...and only you. Please, just put me on your ignore list, so we don't have to keep going through this.

Edited. Let's keep hings friendly.

• Advanced Member
but (for now) you CAN just leave all your high frequency detail work to the end of your work stage and do all of that with LiveClay. Then just bake your maps from Surface mode.

Agreed, this is the case. To just paint hi frequencies in paint room (MV) isn't for me. Except some pores probably.

Just reminding you that exported baked displacements don't look sharp for the moment. These are blurring even a 10M voxel.

On a 10M voxel, LC mode, just having ~twice only density in particular places. Can you imagine the equivalent of this? ~40M probably.

• Advanced Member

That's correct, and that is what is happening at this moment, and has been happening for sometime to accommodate LC and previously for some other things. Eventually it is going to be complete, and as Andrew said the goal is to have a user customizable brush engine. It just seems to be happening sooner rather than later.

That is good to know, with a decent presets system also this will be a great update i think.

From what i have seen with LiveClay recently i think that anyone that was doubting 3dc for it's sculpting before will soon be changing their minds. :)

• Advanced Member
From what i have seen with LiveClay recently i think that anyone that was doubting 3dc for it's sculpting before will soon be changing their minds.

What makes you say this? Doubting for 3dc sculpting faculties is depending on its tools behavior, never on the fantastic, out of the usual technical limits, approach.

And the lack of an after topology multi resolution sculpt room of course.

• Advanced Member

I am talking about other on other forums, some people don't think 3dc is competition to programs like ZB or mudbox.

That is not my opinion of course, i wouldn't have purchased 3dc if i thought that. Basically all i am saying is it seems there is a load of great things on the way so people are going to start noticing 3dc a lot more in the future. People who just use 3dc as a tool for retopo and texturing will probably start using it for sculpting also or as the main tool.

• Reputable Contributor

In the beginning there was voxels but void of use.

The creator breathed life into them

Ah, but it's not good for voxels to be alone, so the the creator made LiveClay.

but the serpent was more cunning than any known beast and beguiled the users.

Oh taste and see that LC is better than voxels and to another user,taste the sweet fruit of Voxels

so sweet as to make LiveClay a bitter fruit.

Then forever was born the flame wars of waste in the forum world.

Just poking fun at human nature...

• Advanced Member

Hey, you don't have to invent a brush. In real traditional painting I mean.

Just do it right. Don't make things more complicated. Just do the basic tools.

Create lot of other fancy tools if you like. But this won't turn 3dcoat to a basic sculpting tool.

Metaphoric or metaphysics better not here. Five senses we have, and these are more than enough, these are a miracle of existence. Better start knowing them.

OK this is crazy, every time I start playing with LiveClay I get a few strokes done and then the model just disappears. I turn on the grid to help find it but that's gone too. If I switch rooms the grid briefly appears for a half a second, then it's gone again. Anyone else? I'll Mantis it too. Hard to say what's causing it though.

• Advanced Member

OK this is crazy, every time I start playing with LiveClay I get a few strokes done and then the model just disappears. I turn on the grid to help find it but that's gone too. If I switch rooms the grid briefly appears for a half a second, then it's gone again. Anyone else? I'll Mantis it too. Hard to say what's causing it though.

Same here. I know we're still in the early stages of LC, but we should be posting even the small bugs on mantis. I'll get better.

• Advanced Member

hello,

i have just discovered some missing informations:

when using Help> Check for updates

my version is always up to date when i get and older version like v35-23 for exemple, i was not advert that a new update is avalable.

another fing i discovered is posting on vimeo and render with post process.

never eard about this befor ... where could we fund some of them ?

• Reputable Contributor

How do the new copy tools work/how are they different than the old ones? I'm a little confused.

Previously, you could only paint an area...the brush alpha's would not work. Now they do. It really opens things up, where you can use brush alpha's to build greebles, decorations, numbers, clothing stiches, etc. onto an object...very quickly. Then give the object it's own shader, transformations, and resolutions independent from the layer it's conformed to.

hello,

i have just discovered some missing informations:

when using Help> Check for updates

my version is always up to date when i get and older version like v35-23 for exemple, i was not advert that a new update is avalable.

It's not broken, it will only alert you when a .x build is available.

another fing i discovered is posting on vimeo and render with post process.

never eard about this befor ... where could we fund some of them ?

I'm not sure if there is much documentation on these features. Possibly in the manual?

• Advanced Member

Mantis bug reports

These two reports are solved! How?

tools properties 0 depth doesn't exist, this maybe solved but to delete it before having a fixed new build for testing, isn't right.

Decimated tri-mesh export from voxels still has problems, though improved. Non manifolds. IMHO this gonna be fixed via a global LC remesher.

But, again, any smoothing operation can't be the solution. Even now, smoothing one or twice before exporting fixes this nonmaifolds issue.

You know my ideas on this. Voxels are great but the only logical solution is to retopo-project subdivisions- work on a multi-res quad mesh.

This means Zbrush or MB or even blender-sculpt. When a critic claims that 3dcoat is a swissarmy knife we may don't like it but may be true. A sculpting room in 3dcoat? :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

aren't they always? :good:

(I thought it was a little longer this time too, but if you check previous release times it

looks like we've been on a month-to-month for a little bit now.....no complaints regarding

this from me, as that's way better than every 6mo-1year, tho. Just tough to adjust-down after

previous years of release 'habit' :D )

• Contributor

This next upcoming build must be something pretty amazing. I don't think it's ever been this long in between builds.

We are so used to weekly updates this is why time it feels slower when we dont have our sugar...

But the truth is 3Dcoat development speed is just out of this world.

Even if updates were monthly...it would still be faster than everything else out there.