3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Advanced Member
Linux an Mac will be built a soon as at least one day will pass without critical reports.

Making Win build takes several minutes of work, making Linux&Mac - much longer.

that's great, thank you.

And... stop complaining LOL. In fact, all last builds for OSX tend to be more stable than the win versions.

• Advanced Member

Not that it's much of a problem but due to the fact i am downloading a 116MB update and did the same thing yesterday i just had a thought. What about having a download that does not include the resources like brushes, materials, meshes and textures etc? so basically a optional and fairly light download.

So you still have the regular version but also the light version which might be a good way to save website bandwidth and also make it much easier for people with slower connections. Just a idea really but i think it would be quite useful. :)

Hi Andrew,

I really like the new customize UI feature, much appreciated :). However in build 25B (Win7, Cuda, DX64), once turned on it could not be turned off. This was really bad as wasnt even even be able to save my work. After rebooting the 3D Coat. The feature has completely disappeared from my menus. Very strange indeed.

Also I find it confusing that the customize UI feature is accessible both via the Edit and Windows roll downs in the top menu. I Think it is unnecessary to clutter up the menu with redundant entries. Since every entry in the Windows roll down is related to to the user interface, I think this is the right place to put the customize UI entry.

Maybe we could rename Main menu / Windows to Main menu / Customize UI. And then move the sub menu entries load hot keys, save hot keys and preferences from Main menu / Edit to the renamed Main menu / Customize UI main menu entry. Yes I know I am not making my self super clear here, so I am backing this proposal up with some visuals ;).

Oh yes, then of course the new customize UI feature now called Customize should then be renamed to something a bit more descriptive.

-Martin

post-3165-0-44585600-1317293876_thumb.pn

post-3165-0-31748600-1317293885_thumb.pn

Probably you turned it off :) of course should be fixed.

Exit 3dc, delete file MyDocs\3D-CoatV3\Options_Hidden.xml

Yes that was it. I deleted <_str>CustomizeUI</_str> from the Options_Hidden.xml and now CustomizeUI is back :).

Regarding the "Stop_Customizing" button, I think that should be moved to the "Windows" drop-down as well. Maybe a good solution would be to have only one button that said "Enable customize menus" This button can then be either turned on or turned off but newer removed ;). When turned on all menus are visible and the user can tic on and of menu items. When the "Enable customize menus" is turned off the user will then only see the menu items he/she just selected. This approach is very similar to how things are working in ZBrush.

Its cool, but I like densequad better,result is closer to source.Very interesting tough. :)

@Andrew I try the "new" command Retopo->Vox cleanup and I have to be very surprised (and happy) for the VERY cleaning results!

@Michalis here you are some fast doodles created in Voxel room and the rendering in Cinema 4D from the quasi autoretopo technique involving DynaMeshyou suggest all us..

But now with the great discovery of Export projected quads the results will be a very clean mesh without stellar artefacts..WONDERFUL (of course for my type of work,maybe for someone else all this have nonsense)

post-2589-0-83444400-1317314726_thumb.jp

post-2589-0-96694700-1317314742_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

@francesco

Is this what you were trying to retopo? (quasi or any other method after all)

If my method worked I'm very happy for you. Basically you're just lucky.

LOL

these days all friends here getting crazy. What else can I say. Oh may. Not a subject to retopo manually.

Listen, seriously now, you have to subdivide the mesh in parts and group it before exporting. Some elements like these spikes could be build directly in the basic app - renderer.

Let's be practical now.

LOL

No jokes now, very interesting and impressive sculpting here Francesco.

Wrong topic to show it.

Congratulations, I love them.

Edit: francesco, tell me that you didn't UV this one.

@francesco

Is this what you were trying to retopo? (quasi or any other method after all)

If my method worked I'm very happy for you. Basically you're just lucky.

LOL

these days all friends here getting crazy. What else can I say. Oh may. Not a subject to retopo manually.

Listen, seriously now, you have to subdivide the mesh in parts and group it before exporting. Some elements like these spikes could be build directly in the basic app - renderer.

Let's be practical now.

LOL

No jokes now, very interesting and impressive sculpting here Francesco.

Wrong topic to show it.

Congratulations, I love them.

@Michalis

Hello my dear friend :thank_you: thank you very much as usual for you kind words.

Good suggestion also the technique of dividing the main shape,especially on "fragile"areas like spikes...

Yes,I applied the words you told me yesterday

"1. Just bring dense quads in zbrush.

2. Duplicate it under tools palette-layer like

3. Activate dynamesh on the copy. Try lower possible settings to capture the basic topology (watch carefully on spikes and holes areas). Try to keep dynamesh less than ~50-70K

Here you are. Subdivide it as needed (~5M I could say) or more.

Use project all to snap it on the original densequad mesh. Watch carefully the "distance" parameter near Project button. By default is 0.02, try 0.2 to 1 values. Undo and retry.

Here you have all the details from voxels on a multi resolution mesh. There're new slice tools that help you to divide it to groups. Use UV master (enable group support) and have a map for baking, transferring polypaint or go back in 3dcoat for PPP if you like."

I will post in another thread..Sorry for intrusion but I was to excited to show them!I am sure that in few days more and more are coming...

Hot menu (Spacebar) no longer works for me :-( Bit of a pain.

Probably you deleted something extra from Windows menu.

Try to helete Options_Hidden.xml or find and delete just corresponding tag.

Or enable Windows->Popups->Tools palette

In next release all hotkeys will work regardless on hidden UI elements.

• Advanced Member

Its soo nice having perspective fixed in Viewport. Its such a small thing but it makes soo much difference. Thanks.

Now if only the ZOOM limit was literally the focal point... or at least if that was an option.

so frustrating Zooming PAST your look point..

in actuality it would be nice if ZOOM (DOLLY ACTUALLY - as zoom would change the FOV).... anyway

would be nice if you could DOLLY TOWARD A PARTICULAR POINT... OR JUST DOLLY in Camera Z space....

both are useful, but when you get close to the focal point - wouldn't it be nice to have finer control?...

I mean the purpose of ZOOMING in, is so you can edit smaller details... get's rather pointless if navigation is still as coarse as it is when zoomed way out.

;) but yes, this little thing that was fixed is GOOD.

Now if only the ZOOM limit was literally the focal point... or at least if that was an option.

in actuality it would be nice if ZOOM (DOLLY ACTUALLY - as zoom would change the FOV).... anyway

would be nice if you could DOLLY TOWARD A PARTICULAR POINT... OR JUST DOLLY in Camera Z space....

both are useful, but when you get close to the focal point - wouldn't it be nice to have finer control?...

I mean the purpose of ZOOMING in, is so you can edit smaller details... get's rather pointless if navigation is still as coarse as it is when zoomed way out.

Yep, I second that. Could be a nice UI navigation touch. Controller sensitivity as a function of the distance between the camera position and the point of interest/focal point. It could be effecting dolly/pan/zoom all together, but even better if there was an advanced option to tweak responsiveness per component (separate sensitivity curves per dolly/pan/zoom components) with some 'nice' defaults ofcourse.

Can we has it? ^_^

• Advanced Member

Waiting the OSX build, I like to ask a favor here, Can you check please if the lock to camera zoom size of the tool works as it should? This had an unpredictable behavior in previews versions.

Another issue was the orthographic camera, especially under retopo room. After some mins it starts clipping in z direction. Very nasty.

+1

good idea... very much needed

+ If Andrew could add the ability to "STORE" Camera (view) presets

That way you can have several buttons that we can label ex: favorite, side, B Shot, etc...

dramatically speeding things up on the navigation side.

thank you for your time

good.gif

• Reputable Contributor

Finer controls when zooming in for small details is very much needed and more so with LiveClay coming down the pipeline...

• Contributor

Because I wanted to know if I would get the tickbox in the space menu too, turns out after a restart of 3dcoat there was no need to since changes get mirrored there.

But items are removed from the Hot menu. Beggers the question 'If only this menu were a little easier to read on the fly' Not just LW Cloned Text based buttons. Honestly i use this menu all the time and always have to search for the thing i want, My eyes get lost. on all the text buttons, nowhere near as dynamic as the hot menu in the Paint room (I found you can save pallet colour to it, by selecting the colour you want in the mixer and right clicking the swatch on the menu.) I hope its on the list of things to come with regard to UI

• Advanced Member

it would be real nice to have a hot menu like in ZB where we get our own choice of whats in it. Sliders, settings, tools etc.

+1

(pretty sure this has been requested since the GUI got overhauled with separate rooms)

Love to see this capability...meaning FULL control of what gets on the menu item! (just have to re-iterate) :)

But items are removed from the Hot menu. Beggers the question 'If only this menu were a little easier to read on the fly' Not just LW Cloned Text based buttons. Honestly i use this menu all the time and always have to search for the thing i want, My eyes get lost. on all the text buttons, nowhere near as dynamic as the hot menu in the Paint room (I found you can save pallet colour to it, by selecting the colour you want in the mixer and right clicking the swatch on the menu.) I hope its on the list of things to come with regard to UI

I actually find the one in the paint room harder to use with it's icons.

I actually find the one in the paint room harder to use with it's icons.

We're working on adding icons for every tool when/where possible, and that make sense. Implementation of those icons wont happen until when Andrew is ready to work on the UI.

So that icon and text based people's can have it however they want it.