3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Advanced Member

I also have to congratulate Andrew on latest updates. I can remember back when you could make a stroke in surface mode, and then press enter, only to have something kind of funky happen. And it was just weird at least for me. Now, surface mode and voxel mode are dramatically improved! But not only that, changes you make in surface mode are seamlessly and flawlessly transported to voxel mode. This is really great. Thanks a lot Andrew :yahoo::drinks::brush:

When I use the Scratches brush in surface mode, I get a circle with every stroke.

See image..

post-3342-12897363663739_thumb.jpg

I use the 3d-Coat-V35-04D-SIMP32 version.

Peace,

Rich_Art. :good:

I have the same problem with scratches and mud. It's always at the beginning of the stroke.

3.5.04D CUDA 64bit

• Contributor

Andrew I'm not currently working with symmetry on my goblin model, it's completely asymetrical, and I've ABSOLUTELY NO artefacts. I don't know yet if you fixed it completely (that would be awesome), or if the remaining artefacts are completely tied to symmetry.

Just for your information :)

BTW to make this post more useful: half the mesh is rendered incorrectly or not refreshed when painted on when incremental render is activated with a depth shader selected and symmetry. (3dc 3.5.04D ogl x64 cuda)

When I say it's not refreshed, it means when you add to the vox model, it is refreshed, but when you substract (or smooth, which make some points change to a substraction state), you have to rotate the view to see the changes (or just press alt when using maya navigation ahah), and that happen with symmetry on or off.

SS-2010-11-16_13.55.29.jpg

3.5.05 [beta] uploaded (Win+Mac, Linux - very soon):

- new brush engine in native voxels (but CUDA mode is not 100% optimized). Strips supported in voxels.

- I made much better projection connector with external image editor. It will fade edges accurately, imported image will be more accurate. It will be possible to apply projection through object if need.

- Ptex related bug fixed - http://bit.ly/anEWvf

- Undo bug fixed - http://bit.ly/bBUsfs

- I have fixed important problem of holes while sculpting - http://bit.ly/ddCGkz

Also, floating license testing started, please write me to support for details.

• Advanced Member

Thanks Andrew,

I'll try it out when I get home. Gotta say though, I'm impressed with the speed improvements so far.

I would be cool to build and edit polygon meshes within the program...maybe a primitive creation room? I'll keep these kind of suggestions to the appropriate thread though!

Please keep up the great work.

God bless,

Gavin

• Advanced Member
I was just playing with the volume mode brushes. They really feel much faster and smoother. Big thumbs up!

So I noticed too, great improvement. I subdivided in volume mode and also noticed that the behavior didn't change much (the smoothing tool kept its power)

For the moment big thumps up indeed :drinks::brush:

• Advanced Member

I downloaded the new version and had a quick play with it. I noticed speed differences using scrape, smooth and clay. I also noticed an increase whilst exporting to lwo.

Going to try and put some time aside this weekend and start a model from scratch in 3DC, retop, paint and render in LW10.

Thanks again Andrews for the update.

Ricky.

• Advanced Member

There seems to be a problem with the grow and airbrush voxel brushes, it doesn't flow constantly in an even flow, it flows more randomly resulting in a blobby line instead of an even smooth line, also, sometimes these brushes deposit a blob at the beginning of the stroke no matter how lightly you start the stroke with the pen. The Surface mode Draw brush is nice and smooth, the way it should be, but it also sometimes deposits a blob at the beginning of a stroke.

• Advanced Member

Also, if you leave 3dc for a while, like 1hr or so to have lunch and then come back to it to continue work, you will find that after every brush stroke you will get a delay for a few seconds before you can perform another brush stroke, this use to happen in the 3.2x versions, but it seemed to have been fixed, but now its back again, the only way to continue working smoothly again is to save your work and restart 3dc and open your work.

Hi Andrew, thank you for the great update ----> 3.5.05 = smooth + stable.

It'd be nice if you are free to check out these little glitches:

1. The initial brush pressure in PPP seems too strong, no matter how fast I click and drag, it always produces a big dot at the beginning.

post-3607-12901449416939_thumb.jpg

2. Autopo for PP still produces an extra empty RetopoGroup of the same name, if this is useful kindly change the name to something meaningful.

post-3607-12901449598266_thumb.jpg

3. In vox room, the icon size of Model & Strips cannot be changed via drop-down menu, when I choose it, it just stop for a while and nothing happened.

post-3607-12901449750144_thumb.jpg

4. Double-click a .3b file in finder cannot open automatically, even when 3d-coat is still running and file info is correctly set to "Open with : 3D-Coat".

Thank you x 4 :D

imac 11,1, os x 10.6.5

• Applink Developer

Also, if you leave 3dc for a while, like 1hr or so to have lunch and then come back to it to continue work, you will find that after every brush stroke you will get a delay for a few seconds before you can perform another brush stroke, this use to happen in the 3.2x versions, but it seemed to have been fixed, but now its back again, the only way to continue working smoothly again is to save your work and restart 3dc and open your work.

I have seen this happen too. Don't know how to repeat it thou.

• Advanced Member

I also think you should rename the smooth brush to "Melt", as it acts like a blow torch on ice, meaning that if you keep painting a voxel object it will get smaller and smaller until it is completely eaten away and gone.

I think a proper Smooth brush is some where between the Fill brush and the current Smooth brush.

• Advanced Member

I have now found that if I get the delay after each brush stroke, I can go to the voxel room and click the "toggle proxy mode" and then click it again, to get back to normal mode and normal brush response is restored.

• Advanced Member

Great points Tser,

the smooth brush in voxel mode is more like a melt brush...which is cool. But a smooth brush which maintains the large forms and just averages out the lumps on the surface would be great. Perhaps something which combines the function of the fill brush and the smooth brush would work.

I'm still having trouble getting smooth curved surfaces at high density. Things still come out a bit lumpy. Could just be my skill level though!

-G

I also think you should rename the smooth brush to "Melt", as it acts like a blow torch on ice, meaning that if you keep painting a voxel object it will get smaller and smaller until it is completely eaten away and gone.

I think a proper Smooth brush is some where between the Fill brush and the current Smooth brush.

the smooth brush in voxel mode is more like a melt brush...which is cool. But a smooth brush which maintains the large forms and just averages out the lumps on the surface would be great. Perhaps something which combines the function of the fill brush and the smooth brush would work.

Switch to Surface mode by clicking the cube icon next to your layer, Smoothing in this mode will not make holes or clear out the object.

I'm still having trouble getting smooth curved surfaces at high density. Things still come out a bit lumpy. Could just be my skill level though!

Drop down to a lower density, you shouldn't have any trouble then. Click the icon on the layer that looks like an arrow pointing down to a hard drive. Change how much it drops down in the menu Voxels > Proxy Visualization.

Not ably to resist to fix :)

Is it with pen or mouse?

Does it happen with every stroke or sometimes? Does it happen when Falloff & Focal shift are zero?

It's with a Mouse - sorry for using the word "pressure" , didn't mean to mislead but it's just like real air-brush attached to a very high pressure pump :)

I've tried your suggestion, here's the result ( from top to bottom ):

1. Falloff / Focal shift = 0%

2. Falloff = 100%, FS = 0%

3. Falloff / FS = 100%

post-3607-12901906190586_thumb.png

FYI, it's a Logitech bluetooth mouse, have tried with an apple mighty mouse, same same, every stroke, both in iMac and Macbookpro.

Don't have a stylus at home, will try it on Monday :yes:

Thank you for your kind attention :)