3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

I've been experiencing the large brush size slowing the navigation issue for a LONG time. I've reported it to Andrew multiple times as well, including a video which I did many months ago demonstrating the issue. Phil, you should try to increase your brush radius to something larger .5. ;)

Well, Phil, you must be in a Chrono rift like Beat said, lol. Really, I experience it each and every time I use 3DC, for over a year now. Just because you're not having the issue, doesn't mean other are not. I think it's great you're not having the issue. We also experienced it at Siggraph, so it does exist.

• Advanced Member

Do you mean Navigation? Having a Large cursor does effect scene navigation. i.e. Rotation, Dollying, Panning interaction.

Yes exactly, it happens for sure with voxels, not sure about other rooms.

Small radius size: 25 FPS

large radius size: below 1 FPS

I find myself constantly switching to a small radius brush so i can navigate. It appears to be something like constant sampling of the scene over the whole radius, which slows everything down.

Would be great if it could be adressed if not too complicated.

• Contributor

Disabled everything but circle (it eases a bit the perf drop), when the cursor is over the whole model at large size (not talking about screen filling at this has little effect on performances), there's repetitives freezes. BTW Phil, I think you really live in a chrono rift, my radius slider stops a 50, Am I the only one ?

While in caps lock mode which hide the cursor: no lag at all... Imho erklaerbar stated the reason in his latest post (or something close)

Phil, I think you really live in a chrono rift, my radius slider stops a 50, Am I the only one ?

Oh you're right, the slider stops at 50, I got 300 by right-click dragging. Perhaps it's a navigation setting. I use the default "3D-Coat" preset.

• Advanced Member

Hi all,

I don't know if I'm making something wrong, but when I retopo a voxel object, if I turn Symmetry on (in the retopo room), the retopo mesh disappears, while it's still there because tools "see" vertices and so on, if I turn Symmetry off, the retopo mesh appear and, of course, only on one side.

What's wrong?

Using both GL and DX 3.5.05B.

Thanks in advance.

• Contributor

Hi all,

I don't know if I'm making something wrong, but when I retopo a voxel object, if I turn Symmetry on (in the retopo room), the retopo mesh disappears, while it's still there because tools "see" vertices and so on, if I turn Symmetry off, the retopo mesh appear and, of course, only on one side.

What's wrong?

Using both GL and DX 3.5.05B.

Thanks in advance.

The option bar on top, tick "invert mirror".

SHAZAAAM !

• Like 1

• Applink Developer

I'm not quite a fan of behaviour when you hide voxel layer it actives other layer. Sometimes I just want to see how the sculpt

looks without the layer I'm scuplting. In my opinion, hiding/unhiding should not be linked into active layer anyway :)

• Like 1

I'm not quite a fan of behaviour when you hide voxel layer it actives other layer. Sometimes I just want to see how the sculpt

looks without the layer I'm scuplting. In my opinion, hiding/unhiding should not be linked into active layer anyway :)

+1

I've already had a few problems where I wasn't paying attention and the wrong layer ended up being selected. The thing about that (in Photoshop too) is that you may not realize you're on the wrong layer until 20 minutes later when you've already done a lot of work that can't be done over.

• Like 1

• Applink Developer

+1

I've already had a few problems where I wasn't paying attention and the wrong layer ended up being selected. The thing about that (in Photoshop too) is that you may not realize you're on the wrong layer until 20 minutes later when you've already done a lot of work that can't be done over.

+1 :)

I think that the best solution would be to leave hidden layer activated and make sure that you can't paint anything on hidden layer,

even if someone is trying. No warning windows needed here.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

+10

This is not the first time I've seen this come up. Best idea is simply to EMULATE the same layer behavior as Photoshop.

1) Active Layer is non-paintable if hidden.

2) Active Layer doesn't change by hiding.

3) OPTIONALLY Activate layer by picking object on said layer - like add an optional key combination that allows you to PICK the active layer by touching an object! that'd be a SWEET speed upper.

this would not default behavior.

you would have to hold down key combo + click on an object to activate layers

• Contributor

3) OPTIONALLY Activate layer by picking object on said layer - like add an optional key combination that allows you to PICK the active layer by touching an object! that'd be a SWEET speed upper.

this would not default behavior.

you would have to hold down key combo + click on an object to activate layers

If you're talking about the vox room, it's already there, just put your mouse hover the object you want to sculpt and press "h".

p.s: feel free to ignore this comment if you already know about this on this is not what you mean :p

• Applink Developer

I can see this option might be helpful but I wouldn't but this as a default setting:

1) Hide/Unhide would not affect which layer is active. but if you try to sculpt on hidden layer.

First mouse paint click would unhide that layer. And second mouse click would start painting.

• Advanced Member

Last builds(cuda version) (3.5.05 and more) have a slowdown when working with voxel.

Every time you made a new version of 3dcoat Andrew I do the same test,I start to sculpt on a sphere and I increase the resolution up to 3.9 million faces(IMO at least this amount should be manageable well with my system(intel 920))

It works worse than before(before small brushes were fast and big brushes slow,now everything is slower).

Maybe the work on brushes it's not finished but please find a way to have a speed improvements.

Thanks

Updated to 3.5.06 (beta, Win only, Mac + Linux will be tomorrow I hope)

- In paint mode and voxel surafce mode you will be able to choose style of brushing-new one with smooth stroke shape and self intersection like in PS or rather old-style (but improved) with strict following alpha shape (but with strict self intersection).

- I improved a lot Model/Splines tabs in Voxel room. You will be able to add new profiles, drag volumes/external objects to that windows, Add/delete/rename items/folders. Importing spline profile is now very user-friendly. It is possible using Drag&drop or VoxTree RMB menu.

- Hue, Saturation, Lightness jitters are implemented in Brush options panel

- Extrude - like tools in voxel improved - they work will in lines mode (snap to surface) + more uniform stroke.

- Depth painting quality in ppp improved a LOT, now it is very smooth and accurate.

- Rapid/scratches/mud brushes tuned to be more "clay-like"\

- fixed incorrect painting in single polygon painting mode.

- resolved issue - http://bit.ly/gQSfqR

- Fill tool, fill with smooth will work correctly with smoothing opacity.

- Eraser corrected to work closer to PS-style

- fixed big slowdown in "Change mesh and texture resolution"

- updated specifications of AppLinks, now it is possible to skip export dialog and drop spline profile to 3D-Coat.

• Contributor

- Extrude - like tools in voxel improved - they work will in lines mode (snap to surface) + more uniform stroke.

- Rapid/scratches/mud brushes tuned to be more "clay-like"\

Extrude is indeed way less bumpier than before with narrow alphas, and airbrush is perfect, no more bump, just perfect, same goes for rapid brush.

Now, the only "problem" is with scrape/flatten not having an invert function (look at zbrush trimdynamic for example). And the brush set is perfect for me :)

Looking back to previous builds before brush engine changes is an horrible experience compared to the way it is now. ^^ Good job !