3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Advanced Member

Just downloaded 3.5.06b... thanks for fixing that popup menus issue, much nicer to work with now. move tool seems a lot smoother too, doesn't jump like it used to.

all these little fixes really make 3dcoat a pleasure to work with.

I have question about the updates. when ever i update i don't have reinstall any of free packs/brushes that are available when downloading 3d-coat.

That wasn't really a question, it was a statement and a true statement, if that answers your question.

• Advanced Member

Oh Andrew.... I've just downloaded and installed version 3.5.06B and for me that has to be the fastest version ever. I have a 29 mill tris object open and I can still sculpt on it.

Total amazing.

Thank you so much.

• Reputable Contributor

Was it possible to load spline profiles before?! How was it done before then, as I couldn't see the option/s

I just tested and you can now drag a layer to the models pallet and you get a decimation dialogue (as it creates an obj for you). It creates a thumbnail, but I can't figure out why the camera angle isn't based on the viewport. Nevertheless, this is really cool.

I was hoping for the ability to right click and export/save an individual layer (with any children) to a .3b file, but this is fairly close.

Hello,

I've noticed on this latest build 3.5.06B that the magnify/reduction brush doesn't seem to work at all. You can test this by just loading a default model from the title screen for ppp painting.

I can post this in a bug section if it helps too.

Thank you for the attention

• Advanced Member

Tried it(3.5.06b) out last night, just for a quick sketch and so far it seems awesome!

Move tool, brush options (new style or old style), Very quick and responsive overall so far. Gonna try out some of those newer features tonight.

But overall it feels a lot nicer than before!

Good stuff Andrew.

-Gavin

Something seems to be wrong with some Surface tools to me. I haven't tested all of them but the Mud and Scratches tools, as well as Clay to some extent seem to only work on their edges, nothing or very little happens in the middle of the stroke. With Clay this seems to cause the triangle polys to get a bit mangled.

Video:

http://screencast.com/t/CRqpMHmwm

• Contributor

Press harder and use higher depth, I guess that's what Andrew said when I changed them to be more "clay*like". I actually think it's awesome the way they work now, we can use them to "smooth" the surface just by simply brushing over a surface and filling the voids, they actually have an use now !

If it's changed, please make it an option...

• Advanced Member

Something seems to be wrong with some Surface tools to me. I haven't tested all of them but the Mud and Scratches tools, as well as Clay to some extent seem to only work on their edges, nothing or very little happens in the middle of the stroke. With Clay this seems to cause the triangle polys to get a bit mangled.

Video:

Hi Phil,

Where are you getting those menus from? I don't have Mud, Gun etc. Am I being stupid or something? I install the latest version over previous versions, do I need to clear out some log files or preferences?

Cheers,

Ricky.

• Advanced Member

Hi BeatKitano,

Arrh, I remember now. I have used this mode before but I always seem to end up with the error 'CantGetBackToVoxels' or similar, so I've avoided it. I have read the manual, but mainly for UVs. Now they I'm getting heavily into sculpting, I may have to return to it.

Cheers,

Ricky.

• Contributor

Can'getbacktovoxels (btw it's not translated anywhere, it should display a real tip in the chosen language, I think it's still hardcoded right ?) is when you use the proxy mode and try to switch back to voxel by clicking the circled button.

If you want to switch from surface to voxel dont get into proxy mode.

Also tip: when in surface mode, press enter to apply change to voxel model (very usefull if you make huge extrusion and stuff like that: it correct the polys stretching by turning the changes to voxels then back to polys (surface mode).< btw that would be awesome if custom hotkeyable ^^

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the tips mate. I was working in Proxy mode. I will avoid and give the other tools a go.

Et oui, il devrait être dans votre langue, mais semble être codé en dur.

Cheers,

Ricky.

• Contributor

Video:

I get same problem as this video.Exact very same as the video.Thanks for posting Phil. :good:

I find it very hard to achieve clean strokes with SF.Clay compared to older engine.

There is no flattening behavior in the brush anymore,even if i toggle Sharp shape in pen options.

It seems like everybody like it so I will just use older build for now,I cannot sculpt without clean surface Clay brush strokes,it is the main brush I use. :pardon:

EDIT:Andrew,it seems that toggling the sharpshape checkbox

has absolutely no impact on Clay brush behavior whatsoever.

winicon.pngosxicon.png

3.5.06 re-uploaded (updated to 3.5.06C). Mac build uploaded too.

Changes from twitter included there:

- 3D-Coar will export compressed PSD files, it will decrease size a lot and increase speed of interoperation with PS.

- New option in brush settings - "Keep color along stroke" to be able to draw fur-like textures.

- Fixed issue - http://bit.ly/g6qXU7

- Fixed problem of "dots" using File->Export->High poly mesh

Linux build sent to compilation, I think tomorrow morning it will be uploaded.

I get same problem as this video.Exact very same as the video.Thanks for posting Phil. :good:

I find it very hard to achieve clean strokes with SF.Clay compared to older engine.

There is no flattening behavior in the brush anymore,even if i toggle Sharp shape in pen options.

It seems like everybody like it so I will just use older build for now,I cannot sculpt without clean surface Clay brush strokes,it is the main brush I use. :pardon:

EDIT:Andrew,it seems that toggling the sharpshape checkbox

has absolutely no impact on Clay brush behavior whatsoever.

Don't worry, I will tune it again until getting perfect result.

winicon.pngosxicon.png

- 3D-Coar will export compressed PSD files, it will decrease size a lot and increase speed of interoperation with PS.

- New option in brush settings - "Keep color along stroke" to be able to draw fur-like textures.

:)

Thanks a lot. I'm downloading and giving it a test drive right now.

Hi Phil,

Where are you getting those menus from? I don't have Mud, Gun etc. Am I being stupid or something? I install the latest version over previous versions, do I need to clear out some log files or preferences?

Hit the space bar. Each room has it's own pop up and they can be pinned to stay open if you like. It's been there since 3DC 3.0 launched with the new UI. :)

Mud and Gum are Surface mode tools, hit the cube next to the voxel layer name on the Vox Tree.

winicon.pngosxicon.png

Andrew, is the rapid tool behavior like in the attached screenshot being addressed? I mean it's totally different from the old brushes and not smooth like it used to be - even with minimal spacing.

I have already asked this in a different thread and hoped it would be addressed in this build. Please just tell me that this is on the to-do list ;)

Thanks for your response in advance.

Ron.

rapid.jpg

Andrew, is the rapid tool behavior like in the attached screenshot being addressed? I mean it's totally different from the old brushes and not smooth like it used to be - even with minimal spacing.

I have already asked this in a different thread and hoped it would be addressed in this build. Please just tell me that this is on the to-do list ;)

Thanks for your response in advance.

Ron.

rapid.jpg

Rapid brush is not intended for this. It is rather like clay tube in ZB.

If you want to make accurate plateau use surface extrude with corresponding alpha.

Don't forget to use ENTER to avoid stretching.

Rapid brush is not intended for this. It is rather like clay tube in ZB.

If you want to make accurate plateau use surface extrude with corresponding alpha.

Don't forget to use ENTER to avoid stretching.

Thanks a lot Andrew for the quick response and advice. The given method works perfectly. Now I'm happy again. Congratulations on the overall performance improvements - makes voxel operations much more reasonable on my MacBook as well.

Best regards,

Ron.