3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

Great 3.5.06C mac update Andrew, icon size options fixed :yahoo:

I don't know if this is a bug or can be avoid via settings, when paint across UV seams, the borders become very obvious. I know I could hide the borders with larger patches but it'd be nice if this can be fixed in 3DC.

post-3607-12913640877659_thumb.jpg

When running a quick test on this build, I noticed that when I do File > New > Continue, content in Retopo groups popup is not cleared, though meshes in the groups are cleared.

A long time mystery (to me) still exist, what's the use of creating 2 groups of the same name when using AUTOPO, but only one of them has the mesh?

post-3607-12913640731434_thumb.jpg

Many Thanks!

linuxicon.png Linux build 3.5.06C uploaded!

hi Andrew,

Just to inform that there's a message pops up when 3D-Coat (Linux) is started; "Unable to run the command specified. The file or folder file:///home/sergyi/Documents/1.txt does not exist.". Not sure if it actually interferes with any 3D-Coat operations though.

Regards,

Faizol

UPDATE : redownloaded 3D-Coat Linux 3.5.06C on Saturday, and the pop up message is no longer there. Thanx.

• Reputable Contributor

Not getting that error on my linux system which doesn't mean there is not a problem, just letting Andrew know on my system no error like that is occurring.

Ubuntu 10.4 64 bit non-cuda... all current updates.

3DCoat version 3.5.06C

By the way thanks Andrew for the great update "You the Man"

• Advanced Member

When I do a bit of mesh moving etc in the retopo room my ram temperature goes through the roof and the fans crank up to full speed to keep them cool, this only happens when I manipulate the mesh in the retopo room, it doesn't happen in the voxel or paint rooms.

T.

• Advanced Member

To draw vertices ,edges and faces, snapping on a mesh, seems to be problematic for lot of apps. I noticed this. Try to subdivide the retopo mesh and see the FPS then. Its a certain way to lead blender or zbrush to crashing, actually.

UV editor will become 'heavy' as well. We have to avoid this kind of loading. I came to this conclusion. Limits.

• Contributor

When I do a bit of mesh moving etc in the retopo room my ram temperature goes through the roof and the fans crank up to full speed to keep them cool, this only happens when I manipulate the mesh in the retopo room, it doesn't happen in the voxel or paint rooms.

T.

Are you using "Snap to outer Surface" or "Snap to Nearest"?

• Advanced Member

No, not Snapping to anything, just going into the retopo room and maybe deleting an edge, creating a new edge or just moving a vertex point around, just simple things and after a few seconds my ram cooling fan cranks up to full speed and it doesn't go back down to normal speed until quite a while after I've left the retopo room or closed 3DC. There must be some serious ram activity going on, I have 16GB with a 120mm fan just above them which is governed by the ram temp setting in the BIOS.

T.

• Contributor

No, not Snapping to anything, just going into the retopo room and maybe deleting an edge, creating a new edge or just moving a vertex point around, just simple things and after a few seconds my ram cooling fan cranks up to full speed and it doesn't go back down to normal speed until quite a while after I've left the retopo room or closed 3DC. There must be some serious ram activity going on, I have 16GB with a 120mm fan just above them which is governed by the ram temp setting in the BIOS.

T.

Sorry,I thought that maybe you were moving the mesh around with auto-snap on.

post-1195-12915909607233_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Also, if you import a mesh, say that 2 legged monster with a trunk, in the Retopo, Paint and Sculpt rooms you will see a missing edge, or more with other imported meshes, but in the UV room the missing edge is present, maybe its really there but you just can't see it?

• Advanced Member

Dear Andrew,

I use the 2D-Paint a lot to convert the Zbrush canvas into real 3d (i grab alpha from canvas in ZB and load it into 2D-paint in 3dcoat).

however,

2D-paint is getting extremely slow as soon as the resulting mesh is larger than 500k tris. 3Dcoat hangs up for 30 minutes or crashes. is there a way to speed this operation up please? Because i want a resulting mesh of 10mio tris to get the desired quality, and that would crash 3Dcoat currently. It is a very powerful feature, but it needs some love!

Many thanks,

keep up the good work

Dear Andrew,

I use the 2D-Paint a lot to convert the Zbrush canvas into real 3d (i grab alpha from canvas in ZB and load it into 2D-paint in 3dcoat).

however,

2D-paint is getting extremely slow as soon as the resulting mesh is larger than 500k tris. 3Dcoat hangs up for 30 minutes or crashes. is there a way to speed this operation up please? Because i want a resulting mesh of 10mio tris to get the desired quality, and that would crash 3Dcoat currently. It is a very powerful feature, but it needs some love!

Many thanks,

keep up the good work

Please describe your workflow or show video. I tried 2D paint, but it works not too bad. No slowdowns, but all depends on pen radius.

Btw you may try toothpaste, look new settings there. It was changed and now may replace 2D-Paint in some degree.

• Advanced Member

ah, no i just want to convert 16 bit alphas to voxels. Radius 400 is not big :unsure: i would love to use a radius like 2000, otherwise its just a bit too low resolution to look good. Ideally, it would transfer all pixel and depth information in the alpha to voxels. Like a 1:1 conversion from an alpha to its voxel representation. that would be really cool.

• Contributor

ah, no i just want to convert 16 bit alphas to voxels. Radius 400 is not big :unsure: i would love to use a radius like 2000, otherwise its just a bit too low resolution to look good. Ideally, it would transfer all pixel and depth information in the alpha to voxels. Like a 1:1 conversion from an alpha to its voxel representation. that would be really cool.

You dont need to increase radius,you can Increase Resolution on an empty voxel layer :) ,even multiple times,

it will "prepare" the layer to receive the hires details even if radius is 10 or 50.

Each time you increase res on an empty layer 3DCoat will tell you it requires 0 mb of memory but it will increase the resolution nevertheless.

• Advanced Member

Andrew have you thought about adding a dry brush to the Paint room, so that you can just paint on the surface of rough sculpted detail or by inverting the brush (Ctrl) you can paint in the crevices of the detail, this would be really great for creating dirt and scuffed up objects.

T..

• Advanced Member

Andrew have you thought about adding a dry brush to the Paint room, so that you can just paint on the surface of rough sculpted detail or by inverting the brush (Ctrl) you can paint in the crevices of the detail, this would be really great for creating dirt and scuffed up objects.

T..

You can already, it's a dropdown box "Pressure not dependent on color" at the top center of the window.

Andrew, Thanks for this release! multi-UVs in the retopo room will be nice.

A quick request, there are lots of nice features in the voxtree right click menu, is there a way you can enable hotkeys for these?

I just downloaded rev F. I don't know if this something i didn't see in the older versions. But when painting with paintbrush soms of the brushes/pens seem to rotate or move in different directions as you move the paint brush around. Is there a way to stop that.

I think it's a bug.

If you watch you see everything paints correct, but after few secs it starts to trip.