3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Advanced Member

There is a bug associated with an option in the preferences>"Slightly lower shader quality, (faster render)", if you enable this option then 3DC will progressively become slower, this takes a few hours to occur, but the longer 3DC is running the slower the program becomes, if you restart 3DC then all is normal again, but after a few hours it becomes slower and less responsive, even just scrolling through the menus, also while this is occurring the 3d-coat-64-CUDA process is running at around 40% even though the program is doing nothing. If you un-tick the option then this problem goes away. I have noticed this same problem with all versions 3 and over. I'm on Linux.

T.

hi,

I use 3d coat 3.5.06f(win dx64), I think there are bugs when you want to translate geometry with "hard edge" like "voxel object".

problem 1: voxel room - objects -primitives-cube, 3 of 12 edges aren't hard.

problem 2: create cube in softimage (phong+texture projection-cubic)-export cube (cube.obj)- voxel room - file menu- Merge Object - choose 'cube.obj' . problem of edges like problem 1.

I don't know if it's normal but if you create in softimage 2 obj files (cube1,scale1) and (cube2,scale2) with scale2(example 10 softimage units)>scale1(example 1 softimage units). Then for each files, you do: voxel room-file menu-merge object. Cubes-looking are really different and you must play with layer resolution for the cube1.

• Advanced Member

Switched to the linux version, I really like the performances for voxel sculpting(incredibly non cuda 64 bit version is 5 time faster than windows 64 cuda version on the same system).

So,really good...but after some minutes of working(voxel sculpting) at the end of every stroke there is some latency before that I can start again to do a stroke,this problem is old and I have pointed out several time for the windows version(it's frustrating,because I don't think it related to scene complexity or to system spec).

If I reopen the same file and start working again no lag,for some minutes it works really really good,but again the lagging after some time it's here.

It's not depend of the resolution of the the volume(it happens at 400k,3 millions or 10 millions meshes),simply when the program starts for some minutes is fast and pleasant to work with,after it appears the lag(to be honest this linux version,even with the lag,it's much better than windows one for me)

• Reputable Contributor

Switched to the linux version, I really like the performances for voxel sculpting(incredibly non cuda 64 bit version is 5 time faster than windows 64 cuda version on the same system).

So,really good...but after some minutes of working(voxel sculpting) at the end of every stroke there is some latency before that I can start again to do a stroke,this problem is old and I have pointed out several time for the windows version(it's frustrating,because I don't think it related to scene complexity or to system spec).

If I reopen the same file and start working again no lag,for some minutes it works really really good,but again the lagging after some time it's here.

It's not depend of the resolution of the the volume(it happens at 400k,3 millions or 10 millions meshes),simply when the program starts for some minutes is fast and pleasant to work with,after it appears the lag(to be honest this linux version,even with the lag,it's much better than windows one for me)

I don't notice any lag in Win 7 w/ CUDA when you use reasonable brush sizes on objects up to 20mill polys, so how could Linux with lag be 5 times faster? What are you using to measure this by? There is some lag if you work with oversized brush radius' in Volume mode, and to a lesser degree in Surface mode. Of course, that is why you have Multi-Res...to handle those situations, and it is ridiculously fast at doing it.

• Advanced Member

I don't notice any lag in Win 7 w/ CUDA when you use reasonable brush sizes on objects up to 20mill polys, so how could Linux with lag be 5 times faster? What are you using to measure this by? There is some lag if you work with oversized brush radius' in Volume mode, and to a lesser degree in Surface mode. Of course, that is why you have Multi-Res...to handle those situations, and it is ridiculously fast at doing it.

AbnRanger,On linux for me it's faster,and the lag I'm speaking about it's simply less noticeable on linux(shorter per stroke).

I'm starting to think that this lag(experienced on linux) is related to the undo stack,because it happens after more or less the same amount of strokes(and if I do undo for some times to go to the previous state the lag disappears,it appears again after some strokes after)

In my personal experience that linux version seems more usable ,windows version not much with latest version).

On windows it's a much more slow feeling(and the lag is longer and always present,event at the start of the program),this is way I said five time faster(to be correct I could say it feels five time faster)

I hadn't posted for doing a debate,but to say"hey,at least I found a way to use the program",what is the problem ?(keep in mind that I'm not particular happy for the switch because I had to pay the cross licence,but I wanted to give a try)

But to be clear,It's not a problem in how I use the program.

• Advanced Member

renderdemon, have you got the Preferences>"Slightly lower shader quality, (faster render)" option checked? if you have then uncheck it, this causes the performance degradation over time you are talking about.

T.

• Advanced Member

Thanks Tser,but it changes nothing(after some time it appears the lag).

There is a way to disable the undo(or clear the undo state,or changing its depth) to see if I have right?

Anyway,the best thing for me for now is working for sometimes ad after saving and restarting the program,not optimal but it's not the end of the world.

EDIT:

In previous post I forgot to say that this time dependent lag is independent on brush size radius,it happens with really small radius(it's clear that I don't jump here and say "hey,my 100 pixels radius gives me poor performance,I'm speaking about 1/2/5 size radius".

• Advanced Member

really enjoying the feel of the new brushes nice work!

I'm getting in the habbit of "warming up" just like with caligraphy.

here's one of the little throwaway "terrarium" skethes I've been making.

129222671113.jpg

129222716529.jpg

Here's a minor bug I found in version 3.5.06E:

after using the "pose" tool with a sphere falloff, and then immidiately using the

"move" too I'm seeing this:

129222817727.jpg

when using the pose tool, the normals do not update until after I apply. undo whirlpool time.

129222829941.jpg

these both seem like stale normals not being updates properly.

there is also a more serious bug where the boundaries of the brush are creating bad tearing artifacts. it seems like a rounding error. I'll send a repro when I have one. keep up the great work!

129222936934.jpg

• Advanced Member

I really like your doodling. I can see your brain at work! Looks kinda like my doodling.. Its fun to freely and aggressively play with the brushes and tools. I always find new characteristics and uses for tools.. :)

I have been thinking lately about setting up a 12x12 tablet on something of a podium in front of a high def monitor. I want Get up and out of my chair and stand up and sculpt for a change. I'm imagining finding ways to sculpt with much broader and faster natural arm movements over the large tablet. That combined with my 3D connexion mouse should enable me to exercise a speedier much more aggressive modeling habit. I just wish that there were a way to have a UI with less tiny buttons and sliders! That kind of precise motion will slow me down a bit.. I want to be able to change everything I need to change without having to carefully select anything. Call it something of an Athletic interface. Here is to hope that the day will come.. :)

Nice work!

Thanks,

IC

• Advanced Member

With the addition of being able to paint through objects, it'd be very beneficial if a user had the option of applying translucent materials, and evem sub surface scattering!!

Love the progress 3dcoat has made, especially over the last year.

Updated to 3.5.07 [beta] (Win only, Mac+Linux - very soon)

changes:

- I made possibility to paint through object, start stroke besides object or end stroke besides object - http://bit.ly/dQFJPQ

- Also stroke will never dive into object, it will be drawn over it's top, it gathers advantages from both - projection and direct painting.

- 3D-Coat will store changed data to User's folder and will not change initially installed files, so will not require admin right.

- Found and fixed one brushing performance problem.

- Problem with "Interpolate" in voxels (carve especially) fixed.

changes during 3.5.06 evolution:

- Specular contrast/brightness in Layer options will work more correctly. I also add "Copy channels" to layers RMB menu.

- I made support of multiple UV sets in retopo room.

- Only visible faces will be baked in retopo tool during baking operations.

- Fixed bug in normalmap-based shader baking.

- I made possibility to save separate voxel layers as 3B files (with subtree or no).

- Fixed problem of "dots" using File->Export->High poly mesh

- New option in brush settings - "Keep color along stroke" to be able to draw fur-like textures.

Oh OK I understand now. Very nice.

Like this:

http://screencast.com/t/Mem1HygucO

I just noticed something, after installing my workspace was reset to the default, that's fine since I have mine saved. However I noticed that the background gradient colors are not saved with the workspace file. Would be nice to see that included.

• Advanced Member

Sorry to say this.

The last two 3.5.7 versions don't bake PPP. Just crashing. Use the default sphere and see. All this app stops to retopo room. No baking though. I tested lot of 3b files. On the mac build. 3.5.6 is stable.

Update:

I tested everything restarted the machine, it works the first time then crashing. Sorry. Please check PPP baking. A default mesh.

• Reputable Contributor

Sorry to say this.

The last two 3.5.7 versions don't bake PPP. Just crashing. Use the default sphere and see. All this app stops to retopo room. No baking though. I tested lot of 3b files. On the mac build. 3.5.6 is stable.

Update:

I tested everything restarted the machine, it works the first time then crashing. Sorry. Please check PPP baking. A default mesh.

Try one last thing....on your voxel object/model layer, right-click and choose "Fill Voids." See if that doesn't help. I had major issues with some hidden holes months back, and couldn't get AutoRetopo to work on a particular model. Andrew took a look-see and found holes in the volume. He made this tool for this reason and he also said those holes can cause problems when baking maps.

• Advanced Member

On the mac it just hangs, (beach ball) for some min then I force quit. It should be done in seconds and this is how it works ... I mean after restarting the OS. Something with UVs? Because there's some weird behavior when unwrapping. Not sure about the last one. Its not a auto UVs issue. It happens on manual unwrapping too. Auto-recovery doesn't work either in this case.

Update after some tests, MV works PPP is not.