3DCoat Forums
haikalle

Blender 2.83 Applink

Thanks. Okay, but now when I hit transfer nothing happens. I have 3dcoat open. Do I need to set up all the folders in APplink Settings too? If so what do I use for exchange folder and the object/texture folder?

Cheers

You have selected an object before pressing transfer? Do you use Windows. Applink should find automaticly your exchange folder.

You are right. I hadnt selected anything. Many Thanks. Now I have the exchange working though my objects / materials are quite different between apps. Have I done something wrong?

sss.png

Edited by Grimmy

As a default 3d-coat uses HDR environment and blender not so it makes material look different. Try to set up both apps using same HDR image and see if that helps. If there still is big diffrence 
please take a screenshot and I will take a look at.

Edited by haikalle

Actually I hadn't set the correct render mode settings. Having done so though, the image was still wrong, but I played with the 'Color Ramp' in the roughness settings to get it to look pretty similar. All looks pretty identical now! Thanks

• Like 1

3d coat plug in may change "Object name" to mesh (Object data) name, when I click transfer?

I happend to find, when I use duplicated mesh (which generate by another add on ) to transfer,  it change Object name in outliner to mesh data name. (I suppose so)

Yes. If your mesh has ".00x" applink will modify the name. How blender names object can be a nightmare. This little hack will helps to keep old and new files in right order. In the future I hope to remove this "name change thing" but most likely it happen after 2.8 release when I know that there is no big api changes coming anymore

If it is related the " .00x" , I can understand it is annoying.:)

Then As you said, as future request (after blender 2.8 API fix),   I hope  applink not change object name without user intend so. 

Eg,, When I import some mesh with add ons,there are case, plug in vendor iset name for obj and mesh-data differently. 

Then use the obj name, for another purpose. (to group things or check files which correspond to object name)

About my some test cases,  applink auto-change object name to mesh name. even though there is no ".00x" in mesh name.

1. load cube

2 set mesh data name as cube_mesh

3 use app link to transfer , now object (cube) change as cube_mesh.

Thanks for reporting this. I have an idea how to make this to work. I need to access into fbx file and read objects name from there, before blender's fbx import will change/mix names all over :)

Edited by haikalle

Here is some updates I have been working with the applink this week.

• Now dynamic menu is back. Press SHIFT + Q to activate it.
  • If you bring meshes from 3D-Coat, applink will create automaticly collection and place those new mesh inside of it. 
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 5:40 PM, haikalle said:

Thanks to @AbnRanger, he made this amazing tutorial video about 3D-Coat -> Blender workflow. Check it out :)

Yes! I really surprised because, I did not try to import textured mesh, from 3d coat to blender . (usually I start blender, then export and re-import, but sometimes I start in 3d coat, then did not know ,how plug in work with the case,,)

and have not thought it is so easy!    I really thanks.  all your work and  AbnRanger tutoriall . ( I hoped ,  AbnRanger would make blender applink tutoriall ^^,

(because there was video for 3d max, and mode ^^;   )

I always check and see AbnRanger training video when up-dated.

• Like 1

No problems. Yes I agree. 3D-Coat/Blender applink is starting to look really nice addon :) Just remember that 4.8.38 does not yet include those features that video tutorial is showing. When Andrew releases next update
of 3D-Coat then it works as in the video. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, tokikake said:

Yes! I really surprised because, I did not try to import textured mesh, from 3d coat to blender . (usually I start blender, then export and re-import, but sometimes I start in 3d coat, then did not know ,how plug in work with the case,,)

and have not thought it is so easy!    I really thanks.  all your work and  AbnRanger tutoriall . ( I hoped ,  AbnRanger would make blender applink tutoriall ^^,

(because there was video for 3d max, and mode ^^;   )

I always check and see AbnRanger training video when up-dated.

Thanks, but it's really all of Haikalle's work. For the longest time, there was no way to get texture maps to come along with the old applink. On models with lots of secondary parts, this was such a chore and time drain, having to manually hook up all the image nodes to the material. Uggggh!

Now, the applink does all the heavy lifting and it works as smooth as butter. :good2:  It makes me want to use Blender, more.

• Like 3

Hi, i recently discovered the applink to blender and do really want to use it buuut... the export to option in the 3dcoat interface is missing. Any advice? Thank you!

2019-05-08 17_50_45-chinese_head_1.3b - 3D-COAT 4.8.32(GL64).png

Hi @ikonnow I think that you need to first go to into blender and press transfer in applink panel. That will create export option for 3d-coat. This is not the most user friendly way at the moment but luckily you only need to do it once.
Please let me know of this fixes your issue. 

Hi!

I just committed couple fixes into applink. Now objects dimensions match better with blender in 3d-coat. If there is some issues please report it here and I will try to solve it ASAP.  

Edited by haikalle
  • Like 1

If I did simple mistake, but about recent blender 2.8 versions (beta), I can not find this add on. with preference.

I usually use Git to make up-date and make release. untill compile, (make update by batch file)

I delete old directory, . then it should install this add on in dafault add-on directory,,  before I can easy find your add-on in preference

but about recent version I could not .   (but I see first generate cube always show custom property of this add on still)

Is there new change, or I need to manually download this add on and set-up? 

Sorry,, do not mind please,,,, I forgot this add on is grouped as community and  not check it when serch ,^^;  

Edited by tokikake
  • Like 1

I apologize if this has been answered before, but I am having an issue. When i go to pick my 'exchange folder' it doesn't do anything when i hit 'apply folder' I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

6 minutes ago, Hdharris said:

I apologize if this has been answered before, but I am having an issue. When i go to pick my 'exchange folder' it doesn't do anything when i hit 'apply folder' I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

sorry i figured it out, i needed to set it in the window to the right before i use it in the N bar

Okay one thing I AM definitely having trouble with is there no 'export to' option in 3DCoat, and exporting normally to the exchange folder doesn't do anything when you hit 'get back' in the applink there, so the only way things work right now is importing into blender manually, then sending it to 3d coat and THEN using 'open in original app.' I'm using version 4.8.40, was something removed?

• Like 1

I have a question.

the applink node group is removed when I use applink resending.   I am using blender2.8rc EEVEE.

what is this behavior ?   is it an error?

RCERROR.thumb.gif.2b89824059a7ecd2a8116ccdc4271a67.gif