3DCoat Forums

Blender Applink

haikalle

• Advanced Member

Haikalle thanks,, and may I ask you,  if you can up-date plug in not auto-set object name = mesh name still?

I understand, most of case it cause no problem but with play mesh and rigs etc,, and when I set individuall name for object and mesh (data) in blender,

I hope to keep my customized one ^^;   I know most of case, driver or custom properties work, but it cause problem

about script which need to check object name .

at current my work flow is untill export mesh, I duplicate mesh (and duplicate material too, with user preference setting then keep default one)

but hope if I can just export. (but plug in not auto-set object name = mesh name)

• Applink Developer

@tokikake Could you test this version. I only disabled object rename feature. This most likely create other problems but please test this one and if you could give some feedback how it works, that would be great.

io_coat3D_TEST.zip

Edited by haikalle

• Advanced Member

thanks  I try it. and reply later. it is good chance for me too. to understand more about 3d coat texureing work flow.

at same time, as for me, I have not tried to import mesh which build in 3d coat  from your plug in, fully.  

mainly have used to export from blender then make texture,  And most of case I may not return mesh, only improt texture (material)

then I believe, other user need more test too.

Then if it is only problem for me, (actually there is no other user who hope to change current way, I feel)

I expect you keep git version as stable. (untill I could offer full report, about all import export options ,,)

• Advanced Member

hmm,, I test with 2 material object , without change any setting, but it seems can not import one of material textures at all. 

in blender I duplicate, and set name for obj and mesh separately.

then export as usual way. (keep open 3d coat, then use "send"

then modify materials and save for original apps. 

File "C:\Users\TAKE\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.81\scripts\addons\io_coat3D_beta\__init__.py", line 1243, in run_import_periodically
    bpy.ops.import_applink.pilgway_3d_coat()
  File "C:\myprograms\blender-git\build_windows_Release_x64_vc15_Release\bin\Release\2.81\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py", line 201, in __call__
    ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
RuntimeError: Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\TAKE\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.81\scripts\addons\io_coat3D_beta\__init__.py", line 1056, in execute
    tex.matlab(objekti,mat_list,texturelist, is_new)
  File "C:\myprograms\blender-git\build_windows_Release_x64_vc15_Release\bin\Release\2.81\scripts\addons\io_coat3D\tex.py", line 849, in matlab
    readtexturefolder(objekti,mat_list,texturelist,is_new, udim_textures)
  File "C:\myprograms\blender-git\build_windows_Release_x64_vc15_Release\bin\Release\2.81\scripts\addons\io_coat3D\tex.py", line 348, in readtexturefolder
    createnodes(index_mat, texcoat, create_group_node, tile_list, objekti, ind, is_new)
  File "C:\myprograms\blender-git\build_windows_Release_x64_vc15_Release\bin\Release\2.81\scripts\addons\io_coat3D\tex.py", line 514, in createnodes
    CreateTextureLine(data['alpha'], act_material, main_mat, texcoat, coat3D, notegroup,
KeyError: 'alpha'

though I do not know if it only about alpha problem (I tried to export alpha map

alphasetting.JPG

• Advanced Member

Ah OK, it seems work. It just not export alpha map, then it cause erroer, if I use RGB with alpha for diffuse, then not export alpha map,

it work, and not change object, mesh name. (though I only export and return material test,, but now I could confrim it work )

hi haikalle. can you make a mini-tutorial about the flow about retopology between blender and 3dcoat, I am very Confused. which button I will click send the model to 3dcoat and which button click in 3dcoat send the model back to blender? I have no idea. I have tried so many ways.  btw I mean Manual retopology.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'm experiencing a problem when trying to make the applink work. I can export the model to 3D Coat, paint it and export it back into Blender, but no textures transfer from 3D Coat (the model is just white), when looking at the nodes in the shader editor, it only has the default Principled BSDF node, there's no applink node with all the maps themselves. The images are exported fine if looking for them in the folder with the exported .fbx model, they just don't get loaded automatically in Blender like in the tutorial video. Can someone help me find out what am I doing wrong? (I tried it both with the simple starter cube and more complex objects, the result is the same)

On 8/13/2019 at 7:55 PM, Mikey1018 said:

Hi! I'm experiencing a problem when trying to make the applink work. I can export the model to 3D Coat, paint it and export it back into Blender, but no textures transfer from 3D Coat (the model is just white), when looking at the nodes in the shader editor, it only has the default Principled BSDF node, there's no applink node with all the maps themselves. The images are exported fine if looking for them in the folder with the exported .fbx model, they just don't get loaded automatically in Blender like in the tutorial video. Can someone help me find out what am I doing wrong? (I tried it both with the simple starter cube and more complex objects, the result is the same)

I can confirm this, I would very much like to use the applink, and I get the exact same result as @Mikey1018 unfortunately. Both on the official 2.80 release, and on the daily builds of yesterday too. Oh, okay I see @haikalle is moving at the moment. Patience will solve this problem :). Until then I'm goin manual I guess. Thanks in advance when this is solved.

Edited by yoohasz

• 4 weeks later...
  • Applink Developer

Hi! 

Quick update about me. I went back to school. I started in University of applied sciences. So my time is limited because all the work I need to do for my school.
I'm still interested to update applink addon but the update cycle is going to be slower in my part.  There is some issues with the applink and the latest blender version 
and I have plans to address them but I can't give any date when that's going to happen. If there is someone who would like to continue to develop this addon, I more than happy
to help him/her to get started with this addon.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hi Haikalle!

Thanks for being open about this, and for all your work so far. Given that blender is getting so much attention it would be a pity if the bridge between 3DC and B3D wouldn't be seamless. Does @Andrew Shpagin

have any ideas for this perhaps? I feel that quite a few artists choose these two in combo for serious work (Okay I'm biased I admit :) 

Good luck with Uni. I hope you find an opportunity to use 3Dcoat in your studies. For example I think that taking notes in 3D is the future (of sillyness :P ) But imagine sculpting math functions in the voxel room ;) okay, enough of this!

Cheers!

• Applink Developer

Hi! I got this message from Blender coders

1st off the bat is 3d coat app link. @Kalle-Samuli Riihikoski (haikalle) hi, I wish to discuss changes to your addon. Currently there's the Tab with only 3 options and also the Scene panel. I find it hard to justify this addon having it's own Tab. 2nd issue is this is not really a 3d view addon, its an app link which should be in the import/export category. I think it would be better to have all the settings in the Scene area "3d coat app settings" and remove the Tab altogether. At minimum here the addon will be moved to the import/export category.

Now I need your feedback. What you think if Tap panel is removed and moved ether into Scene menu where is the rest 3d-coat settings or into menu - >Import/Export settings. My oppinion is that this change will make the workflow slower when using applink because "send" and "getback" buttons are behind more clicks than it's now. What do think. I want to hear you before answering back to blender folks.

• Applink Developer

Small update for Reference mesh option. This is a good option if you just want to manually retopo your blender mesh in 3d-coat.When you want to bring mesh from 3d-coat, just use File -> BringRetopoMeshBackToApp.
Also it should work that you can update the blender mesh anytime, just press that button and you should instant update in blender. This version has also other changes so it has big beta label on it.

io_coat3D.zip

Edited by haikalle
  • Like 3

• Applink Developer

The addon updated again and it has big BETA label on it. Now multi RetopoGroups supported when using “Reference mesh” workflow. Also I improved a little bit voxel mesh workflow. That needs some more work still. Here is a quick video about using REFERENCE MESH mode:

@tokikake I also changed the naming behaviour. Now it should not change your mesh/objects name anymore.

Changes should be in the next blender daily release, but you can download it here now too.

io_coat3D.zip

Edited by haikalle
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kia ora

I've just started learning both 3D Coat and blender and have been trying to get the applink to work without any luck. nonthing I have found is explaining if I SHOULD or SHOULD NOT have 3D Coat running before sending, if I don'y have to running it pops a dialog for importing I check the setting I'm after and click OK
If I wait nothing happens, so I'm asuming the applink will not start 3D Coat, I'm ok with that I'm just finding it hard to find a video that has the complete process fully detailed

3D-CoatGL64C_2019-10-06_12-28-49.png

Edited by Kiwi-Hawk

Hi 

You SHOULD have 3D Coat running before sending.

Send the model (you can to have previously created material and uvlayout)

send.jpg

Paint on 3dcoat

Use the command File > Open in the original app.

On Blender use the command GetBack

Hope this help.

After pressing the send button I go to 3D Coat and I get the import dialog, I set the texture size's etc click OK

and then I get that message, thats if I select to pixel paint, I can send Reopo and UV selections

Edited by Kiwi-Hawk
Clearify what I'm saying

• 2 weeks later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to Blender 2.83 Applink