3DCoat Forums

Blender Applink

haikalle

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, tokikake said:

That is why I need to manuall edit.  (but I am not the author so I can not full edit to work without some step)

The erroer happen,  script try to generate the 3dc2blender which already generated by same add on script, when you set the Exchange folda.

Thare are many conditions, when script try to generate the directory,, so some code seems need to be clean up by author. 

then try 

1. make empty new txt file save as  "Exchange_folder.txt"  without lauch any aprication.

2. set the "Exchange_folder.txt" in the "3dc2blender" directory. where script already generated . 

empty.thumb.JPG.b32ccbeb78f89cd19b375d77889b7c05.JPG

if you had removed the  "3dc2blender"directory,, re-launch script then force it to make 3dc2blender

(though it show same erroer) , then quit blender, locate empty "" txt in the 3dc2blender.

basically once you make the "Exchange_folder.txt", this add on (3d coat applink)  not try to generate the problem directory. 

then auto discribe  your " Exchange path" in the  "Exchange_folder.txt. txt" correctly.  (so you need not manuall set path)

If it still not work for you, you may need to edit code, but I suppose it work with my up-date test .

I did as you suggested. Still same results. However NOW each time I run the Blender Addon, I must re-enter the folder on the N panel.

Instead of all these kludges and work arounds why not have the 3DC team and author of the Blender Addon find out WHY it is NOW not working after working flawlessly. 

I suspect a Windows 10 update broke something and now it needs  to be resolved by those responsible for the coding.

Edited by kenmo

• Advanced Member
31 minutes ago, kenmo said:

I did as you suggested. Still same results. However NOW each time I run the Blender Addon, I must re-enter the folder on the N panel.

Instead of all these kludges and work arounds why not have the 3DC team and author of the Blender Addon find out WHY it is NOW not working after working flawlessly. 

I suspect a Windows 10 update broke something and now it needs  to be resolved by those responsible for the coding.

I am sorry it not work for you. (I see exactly same issue, when I first try it,, yes you might see the loop to ask  you set the exchange folda)

I discribed if it not work for you, you may need to edit code by your self. (though it just need to hide the one condition)  with add the empty txt file

but I understand you do not hope such way.  I just offer way how I could solve issue as temp fix, but after all I wait author check issue and solve it as same as you.

• Advanced Member

Edit code myself? Not going to happen. Although formally trained as a programmer other then coding some Novell Netware login scripts and Windows server batch files, I have not coded in a proper programing language in over 25 years!!!! Later half of my IT career  I was a system admin for file & print servers - Novell Netware, Windows Serve and SUSE Linux.

At the time I loved to code bit been away from it too long and TOO old to re-learn (close to 70 years old).

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, kenmo said:

Edit code myself? Not going to happen. Although formally trained as a programmer other then coding some Novell Netware login scripts and Windows server batch files, I have not coded in a proper programing language in over 25 years!!!! Later half of my IT career  I was a system admin for file & print servers - Novell Netware, Windows Serve and SUSE Linux.

At the time I loved to code bit been away from it too long and TOO old to re-learn (close to 70 years old).

I understand what you means.   I confirmed  you actually see same issue which I reported  from prompt log. then I still think if  you could solve without edit scirpt. 

because now I can use original (no edit version) .    I suppose once app-link pass the bug (the bug show appl ink try to generate same folda )  it work .

But  after all it is temp fix, so I can not confirm.    I may try manually discribe exchange path in the Exchange_folder.txt. like this

blendersetting.JPG.27480dde2046128f9e716a13982f5a02.JPG

Then launch 3d coat again.  but I do not hope you kill your time to test unstable way, so I do not ask you do it. 

The main reason why I dscribe those things here, I hope to help haikalle catch error clear.   even though it not solve issue at least author can follow and check what cause problem.

I think this bug seems only  happen for some windows user.  (my case, I reset and delete exchange folda and 3dc2blender once to clean up-date, then it seems cause issue)

• Advanced Member

My Blender folder for the Add on is

C:\Users\kenmo\Documents\3DC2Blender

And I placed the text file "Exchange_folder.txt" there with it's content being a single line being "G:\3DCOAT\3D-CoatV48\Exchange"

My 3DC folder is the same as the line above 

G:\3DCOAT\3D-CoatV48\Exchange

I loaded a model into Blender and launched 3DC.

Using the Blender Addon I sent the model to 3DC for painting

I look in folder  "G:\3DCOAT\3D-CoatV48\Exchange"

And there are NO models in that folder. However there is a next text file "import.txt" with the following lines in it

C:\Users\kenmo\Documents\3DC2Blender\ApplinkObjects\3DC004.fbx
[ppp]
[export_preset Blender Cycles]

However the model is present in "C:\Users\kenmo\Documents\3DC2Blender\ApplinkObjects"

Something is broken. We need to have it fixed and stop with the kludging, workarounds, guessing and fudging.

Thanks very much for your attempts to assist. I do appreciate it.

Edited by kenmo

• Advanced Member

So that means now you could

6 hours ago, kenmo said:

My Blender folder for the Add on is

C:\Users\kenmo\Documents\3DC2Blender

And I placed the text file "Exchange_folder.txt" there with it's content being a single line being "G:\3DCOAT\3D-CoatV48\Exchange"

My 3DC folder is the same as the line above 

G:\3DCOAT\3D-CoatV48\Exchange

I loaded a model into Blender and launched 3DC.

Using the Blender Addon I sent the model to 3DC for painting

I look in folder  "G:\3DCOAT\3D-CoatV48\Exchange"

And there are NO models in that folder. However there is a next text file "import.txt" with the following lines in it

[ppp]

However the model is present in "C:\Users\kenmo\Documents\3DC2Blender\ApplinkObjects"

Something is broken. We need to have it fixed and stop with the kludging, workarounds, guessing and fudging.

Thanks very much for your attempts to assist. I do appreciate it.

At least from your reply I think almost you solve issue which you have mentioned before.  Because now blender seems stop to ask you to set Exchange folda, and stop to show error about the duplicate 3DC2Blender  generated. or do you still see the erroer?  if so you may better to paste new error. for  Haikalle check again. it can show when user  manually generate setting file how plug in treat it

At same time I do not know which app-link version you currently using. I use blender 2.92 alpha and app-link already packaged as community add on. 

Then the directory where app-link  export  object  can be changed from blender scene property,/3d coat applink setting tab.

As for me,, when I click "send", command prompt tell me app link export FBX on the path where I decided in the scene tab.so it work as I expect.

exportsetting.thumb.JPG.57f8983ba18ebbc9cc15282ab29d8454.JPG

I do not remember default locaton of export FBX , if you have not set it, I suppose app-link use default  path . you can say it is wrong if you have set the export object path(not exchange folda) bat plug in generate to different directory.  but if it is default path, there is no wrong.

But after all  for you all those things  is just with the kludging, workarounds, guessing and fudgin,, so I do not ask you do it as I do. I just offer what worked for me, with check code and log.

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member

Sorry but I have no idea what you're suggesting I do.

I'm running Blender 2.9.2 also.

I give up on this Blender Addon until someone actually fixes the problem.

Wasting way too much trying to figure an issue which should not exist. 

Never had this issue prior to about two months ago.

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, kenmo said:

Sorry but I have no idea what you're suggesting I do.

I mean, from your replys I do not think there is something wrong. (of course before you saw erroer, then at current you seems not see same error) , you said,

""""I look in folder  "G:\3DCOAT\3D-CoatV48\Exchange"

[ppp]

"""

Then it is not wrong.. :mellow:

add on simply export FBX from blender to 3d coat, with use the file path which discribed in the txt. it is same as me. there is no broken issue at least export from blender.

You think export model should be locate in exchange folda, but it is not true. exchange folda only discribe those setting file which user set in blender, or simply use default path. so there is no model. but you find model in the directory = path discribed in import.txt

Though after all without you edit other place, when you return mesh,, 3d coat show new error then I think you need to wait author solve issue. (because you do not edit code)

• Advanced Member

@Haikalle

To reproduce this issue, , you may need to once delete  the Exchange_folda.txt from 3dc2blender directory.

Then when you " send "  object from blender,  you shuold see same issue.   

If you still not see the "file (directory) already exist" error, I suppose you may need to set different Exchange folda  oath once. 

(though I do not know , if it related with, this issue)

I could easy  re-produce the erroer with remove the "Exchange_folda.txt" only.

"FileExistsError: [WinError 183] 譌「縺ォ蟄伜惠縺吶k繝輔ぃ繧、繝ォ繧剃ス懈・縺吶k縺薙→縺ッ縺ァ 縺阪∪縺帙s縲・ 'C:\\Users\\TAKE\\Documents\\3DC2Blender'

location: C:\myprograms\blender-git\build_windows_Release_x64_vc16_Release\bin\Release\2.92\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py:132

Then for me, if I manually  make empty "Exchange_folda.txt" and locate it in the 3DC2Blender folda.  and run blender again, 

this issue solved.   When I click "send", add on auto discribe "Exchange path" (overwrite" the Exchange_folda.txt"  ) then I can export obj to 3d coat (with import dialogue)

blender do not show error.   (Though I already use app-link for paint wihtout problems, )

Then  after you will solve the file path issue, please not forget to update text.py ^_^ without it after all we can not improt texture correctly.

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, tokikake said:

I mean, from your replys I do not think there is something wrong. (of course before you saw erroer, then at current you seems not see same error) , you said,

""""I look in folder  "G:\3DCOAT\3D-CoatV48\Exchange"

[ppp]

"""

Then it is not wrong.. :mellow:

add on simply export FBX from blender to 3d coat, with use the file path which discribed in the txt. it is same as me. there is no broken issue at least export from blender.

You think export model should be locate in exchange folda, but it is not true. exchange folda only discribe those setting file which user set in blender, or simply use default path. so there is no model. but you find model in the directory = path discribed in import.txt

Though after all without you edit other place, when you return mesh,, 3d coat show new error then I think you need to wait author solve issue. (because you do not edit code)

Where do I find this Blender FBX Addon? Besides vanilla Blender already supports FBX  file formats...

Other than that I have no idea what you are suggesting. The Blender Applink simply does not work. It needs to be fixed.

• Applink Developer

@kenmo

Sorry to hear that you have spent so much time for trying to get this addon to work.  I will let you know when I will fix this issue. I study at the university and at the moment I have so much homework and thats why I don't have so much time with addon now. Usually I'm faster with fixes so apologize that it takes time this time. I can't promise fix day yet but I do hope that I can offer proper working addon in next week.

Edited by haikalle
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

That's the problem - I did NOT get it to work. It's still broken.

That's OK. I'll think I'll avoid using this plugin as I fear there will be similar issues in the future and the turn around for a fix is way too long. 

• Applink Developer

Sorry to hear that. I took some time and this version should fix makedir error. I would be very grateful if you could test this version and give valuable feedback to me. Thanks.

io_coat3D.zip

@tokikake

Thanks for your great tests/feedbacks. Really appreciative it.

Edited by haikalle

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, kenmo said:

Where do I find this Blender FBX Addon? Besides vanilla Blender already supports FBX  file formats...

Other than that I have no idea what you are suggesting. The Blender Applink simply does not work. It needs to be fixed.

This 3d coat plug in not use default Blender FBX exporter.  Because there was a few problem for official blender FBX exporter add on,  to use 3d coat . (import and export) Though we may not need to talk about another add on,  but Blender FBX add on  had lot of problem long time for weight map or export import rig correctly.

But it is not matter.  This  app link export and import model as FBX for 3d coat, then we can use it for 3d coat exchange.

Kenmo , I understand all frastration but  I hope to know if there is some miss understanding  between us.At current, Can not you  export mesh (as FBX) to 3d coat with this add on (not blender  FBX exporter  add on) , when you click send button?    

That means, after you select mesh (with material = default principled BSDF attached),  then click "send" from blender UI , then  launch 3d coat, you can not see pop up window, to set import option in 3d coat? (so temporally forget  where add on export FBX , but just check actually you can see export mesh in 3d coat or not)

Anyway I may re-update blender (2.92 alpha) again, and test with hikalle attached new zip..  hope new version work.  if it still not work (could find another erroer which I confrimed once)  I may attach only one file which I could solve  the tex.py problem.

I am sorry I can not help enough for my one of favorite add on which I really often use...

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member

@Haikalle

I test with  recent git version (packed in blender 292 master )  and offered zip version there still remain (but change as loop erroer):unsure:

1. remove  3dc2blender  (to test clear) 

2. up-date script, (just to confirm)

3. now it show loop issue (send>> set exchange directory >> send >> set exchange directory),,  it is issue when I first remove the win bug, with hide code.

4. I could find plug in generate the 3dc2blender, but app link still loop. (so we can not go foward)

Then I try manually locate empty the "Exchange_folder.txt" with keep running blender..

now I could exit the loop, then I launch 3d coat, I could see dialogue,,  blender console say 

FBX export starting... 'I:\\myfile\\3dcoat\\link\\export\\\\3DC051.fbx'
FBX export prepare: Wrapping Objects...
        Done (0.000000 sec)

FBX export prepare: Wrapping Data (lamps, cameras, empties)...
        Done (0.000000 sec)

FBX export prepare: Wrapping Meshes...
        Done (0.000000 sec)

FBX export prepare: Wrapping ShapeKeys...
        Done (0.000000 sec)

FBX export prepare: Wrapping Armatures...
        Done (0.000000 sec)

FBX export prepare: Wrapping World...
        Done (0.000000 sec)

FBX export prepare: Wrapping Materials...
        Done (0.000000 sec)

FBX export prepare: Wrapping Textures...
        Done (0.000000 sec)

FBX export prepare: Wrapping Animations...
        Done (0.000000 sec)

FBX export prepare: Generating templates...
        Done (0.000000 sec)

FBX export prepare: Generating Connections...
        Done (0.000000 sec)

FBX export fetch empties (0)...
        Done (0.000000 sec)

FBX export fetch lamps (0)...
        Done (0.000000 sec)
===============

So I still request others (if you see same issue,  make empty "Exchange_folder.txt" and locate it in your documment 3dc2blender . then click "send"

or you may see loop, (if you have removed the file, or remove 3dc2blender )  . 

I may try offered new zip version ,, but I suppose it seems same one from time print,, right?   (I already test, they seems same about this issue)

and thanks I suppose tex.py issue is solved with recent version (2.92 master blanch)

=======
then this is not bug, but if you set "Skip UV set name if there is one UV set"

plug in can not set nodes without UDIM tile correctly. (so we can not see texture change)

I recommend, anyway not use  the "Skip UV set name if there is one UV set" option to work without efforts.

plug in try to set UDIM tile for texture nodes, then you should use UV set name for all texture, (at current)

skipuv.thumb.JPG.d87ccb864c35aa1517762f578a500d1a.JPG

Edited by tokikake
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

No haikalle it seems timing.. if you delete 3dc2Exchange ifrst, then  launch blender you may see issue I think

I confrimed test with both (your new attached zip), so at least with my PC, it not work. (show loop)

the problem is you keep running, then delete exchange folda, so it seems path the problem.

but we usually not use blender so.  (so I said this problem only visible with conditions, but once pass the erroer, we can not re-produce it easy)

1. delete 3dc2blender first.

2. launch blender.

3 you need to set folda

4 you may see loop issue

Then if you can not reproduce issue, I think the exchange directory cause this issue.

(I use non-default exchange directory. and Kenmo use non default exchange directory,, so if you use default exchange directory path,

if it cause difference,, but as I said, with my PC, and with new your offered zip,, I still see loop issue, when I remove 3dc2blender (or txt in the directory)

I may offer movie fike, if it really need to confrim.

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member
42 minutes ago, haikalle said:

i deleted the folder but didnt see anything with the latest addon version. How can I see the error.

Ah OK I could find difference.

As you said, yes current version can show dialogue, but in blender it still ask me to set exchange path, again  when click send.

(thenI supposed it not export FBX still but plug in seems already export FBX, even though it ask me to set Exchange path)

So if user did not notice it, but follow the app link aking,  simply try to set Exchange path again and again.

(then it auto generate same FBX again and again without user notice), but if user start 3d coat,, it show dialogue.

I did not test,, after that it can work corectly or not..  but maybe I can ignore, "set Exchange path pelase dialogue"

p1.thumb.JPG.b30cf6f74736ba17eb4f80548d43ce24.JPG

p2.thumb.JPG.271769905e0d6c02db511539e20cd2d3.JPG

p3.thumb.JPG.6a47198966e62aae9ac1aa0ecf039dba.JPG

p4.thumb.JPG.b4e2324776d577349afd23af54988a82.JPG

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member

@haikalle Removed the Blender Addon in 2.9.2 and installed you supplied above. Re-launch Blender and create a cube in Blender. From the N panel I select send to 3DC. I am prompted for the folder where the Exchange_folder.txt file resides. I point it to "C:\Users\kenmo\Documents\3DC2Blender" and then it prompts me once again to point it to the folder. It's stuck in a loop.

I've deleted the folder and recreated it a couple of times as well as the Exchange_folder.txt with  the line "G:\3DCOAT\3D-CoatV48\Exchange" in the text file.

Plugin is reporting to be ver 4.9.34

It's not working.

Blender23DC.JPG

• Applink Developer

@kenmo

I agree that this can be a bit confusing but When addon asks exchange folder it dosen't mean location of your Exchange_folder.txt. When you install 3d-coat it will create Exchange folder somewhere in your computer. For example in my coumputer it's ...User/Documents/Applinks/Exchange you should find that folder and select that instead Exchange_folder.txt

Where is your 3d-coat installed. Is it in default Program Files folder? If this is the case then addon should find your Exchange folder automaticly.

Edited by haikalle

• Advanced Member

3D Coat is installed in C:\Program Files"

My 3D Coat assets (primitives, models, shaders, PBR materials, brushes, etc) are stored on my computers G drive in folder "G:\ 3DCOAT\3D-CoatV48".

3D Coat created the "Exchange" folder in  "G:\ 3DCOAT\3D-CoatV48\Exchange" - I did NOT create. 3DC created it.

I have good computer troubleshooting skills as I was employed for 35 years in the computer industry as a network systems server admin. I am now retired.

However I now prefer to use my computer for editing my digital photography RAW files, digital painting & 3D modeling\rendering.

When I fire up Blender, 3D Coat, Daz Studio, e-onsoftware's Vue, Photoshop, Lightroom, Painter, ArtRage, Moi3D, Silo3D, etc. I want to create stuff and not go through this insane things to make this Blender Addon work. It should just work without all this fudging. It's just simpler to not use the Blender addon and do things the old manual way. A way that works.

The plug in a nice idea and work flawlessly in the past.

Perhaps you are using a different version of Windows than I or a a different OS? 

I am running Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Version 1909

OS build 18363.1198

I mention this as I'm thinking the issue was a recent Windows update or patch that Microsoft pushed out.

Are Mac OS users having this issue? Or Windows users who have an earlier build of Windows? How about Linux users?  (Not sure if 3DC has been ported to Linux or BSD)

Thanks for your efforts and I wish you all the best with your school studies.

Please take care.

Edited by kenmo

• Advanced Member

On my computer in the following folder "C:\Users\kenmo\Documents\3DC2Blender\ApplinkObjects "I have several FBX files

Applink.JPG

• Advanced Member

In my folder "G:\3DCOAT\3D-CoatV48\Exchange"

I have an import.txt file with the following text within it.

C:\Users\kenmo\Documents\3DC2Blender\ApplinkObjects\3DC014.fbx
C:\Users\kenmo\Documents\3DC2Blender\ApplinkObjects\3DC014.fbx
[ppp]

• Advanced Member

I just tried it. Now a new FBX file appears 3DC012.FBX appears in  "C:\Users\kenmo\Documents\3DC2Blender\ApplinkObjects "

And each time I use the Blender Addon I must select  in which folder my Exchange_folder.txt" resides in. It does not save the setting.

• Advanced Member

NO IT DOES NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many times are you going to ask me this!!!!!!!