3DCoat Forums

Blender Applink

haikalle

• Advanced Member

2 years ago when I worked in IT Windows server updates and patches were the number one cause of most of our applications NOT working or working badly.

• Advanced Member
5 minutes ago, haikalle said:

Yes. Im using windows10 but I doubt that build version has nothing to with this..  something odd happens cause 3d-coat does not read valid import.txt

Wow.  Again you do not read my post. As I said before. It worked fine in version 4.9.33 two months ago. Now it does not work in 4.9.33. The only changes to my computer has been windows updates, hot fixes & patches. If it was a 3DC issue it would not have worked two months ago in version 4.9.33.

KINDLY READ MY REPLIES.

• Applink Developer

I reply tomorrow because I turned into linux system already. Sorry. I think you are wasting your time if you start to test with other win builds.

If you want to make easy test. make 3d-coat to use default data folder and see if that works.

• Advanced Member

Two months ago it worked with "G:\3DCOAT\3D-CoatV48"

Two months ago it worked fine with 3DC 4.9.33

The only thing that changed was updates to Windows.

Our developers at worked would use various builds of Windows 10 on their computers because of Windows updates, patches & hot fixes breaking things.

They used virtual Windows machines via VmWare and/or VirtualBox.

Any serious developer would know this.

Windows 10 patches breaks MS Office updates

https://www.techradar.com/news/microsoft-warns-windows-10-update-breaks-office-updates

Windows 10 patches breaks printing

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-printing-breaks-due-to-microsoft-june-2020-updates/

Windows 10 breaks VPN

https://windowsreport.com/vpn-wont-work-windows-10-update/

Windows 10 breaks Spotify

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/windows-10-update-is-breaking-apps-again

Windows October update breaks computers

https://www.techradar.com/news/microsoft-warns-windows-10-update-breaks-office-updates

Edited by kenmo

• Advanced Member

Wrap your head around this. If it is because of me using the G drive for my 3DC data then it WOULD NOT HAVE WORKED TWO MONTHS AGO as I was using the G drive for my 3DC data since version 4.8 of 3DC.

• Advanced Member

@haikalle - Ok, I'll play your silly games.

My Exchange_folder.txt still resides in the same location.

C:\Users\kenmo\Documents\3DC2Blender

I created a folder path "C:\Users\kenmo\Documents\3D-CoatV48\Exchange\" 

I pointed my Exchange_folder.txt to 

C:\Users\kenmo\Documents\3D-CoatV48\Exchange\

See attached file

Exchange_folder.txt

• Advanced Member

I launched Blender 2.9.2 and set the folder location in the Addon. Created a cube

Launched 3DC 4.9.65

In Blender clicked send to 3DC

NOTHING happened in 3DC

In folder "C:\Users\kenmo\Documents\3DC2Blender\ApplinkObjects" I now have one FBX model 3DC00.FBX

Applink.JPG

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, haikalle said:

I still dont' understand why you should create 3D-CoatV48.  If I install fresh copy of 3d-coat 4.9 I think it should use 3D-CoatV49.

I'm might be wrong. Cant test now cause I'm working on linux.

I've explained that already. I'm starting to get  quite frustrated and upset with you. You may not SEE what I am doing BUT you certainly are NOT READING what I'm posting. I should be able to name DATA folder whatever I want to. 

I do not know which is more annoying this addon or your repeating asking something I've already answered or explained.

Yet I've asked for which version, & build of Windows 10 you are using and you declined.

• Advanced Member

Kindly grasp this - It worked great TWO months ago on this compute with 3DC 4.9.33 and my data folder "G:\3DCOAT\3D-CoatV48"

I will name my DATA folder whatever I damn will please.

I'm done with you until you answer my question.

Edited by kenmo

• Advanced Member
31 minutes ago, haikalle said:

@tokikake

Please let me know if the latest update fix your issues.

Haikalle yes , basically it worked. 

my windows version is 1909 windows 10 pro

Os build 18363 1198

Then to be honest,  there remain one small issue.   I did same test with up-date again (few miunutes ago)

1.  delete 3dc2blender directory first

2. run blender,, then up-date script(confrim)

3. add Cube, with select, click "send"  

4.  I confirm  plug in ask me to set "Exchange" path

5.  I click apply folder  with my customize Exchange folda path (it is not default,  at least for me it work so, I ignore default path etc even though 3d coat auto generate, I set another Exchange path as I like)

apply.thumb.JPG.87c36665da95cda1e90c066bd3e49e07.JPG

6. If it is first time to try to export after delete "3dc2blender",  app link still show me, erroer. 

Error: Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\myprograms\blender-git\build_windows_Release_x64_vc16_Release\bin\Release\2.92\scripts\addons\io_coat3D\__init__.py", line 276, in invoke
    file = open(exchangeFile, 'w')
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Users\\TAKE\\3DC2Blender\\3DC2Blender'

Anyway I  launch 3d coat, I could see dialogue  import mesh,, but about my test, after all I could not return texture. and app-link did not generate  new node groups for materials. 

I tried with  same export preset it worked before, but no change.   I could not see any erroer, when open in original app >>  and get-buck

(It is diffiicult why it happen, but may be, there remain some propblem to read setting file etc,, )

7. but after see this erroer (flie not exist), I once shut-down and re-start blender.. 

8. This time,  app link already generate 3dc2blender, and Exchange_folder.txt, then I do not see any erroer, and no need to set exchange path. 

(so loop problem solved)

9  And I could  return texture as same as before with app-link custom node groups .^_^

So as my opinion,, if user see erroer (file not exist), any way, you once shut-down blender, then restart.. so next time app-link can find those file and folda without erroer,

then you can export mesh and return texture from 3d coat. (sorry I still not test complex thing this version still,,)

===========

@  haikalle,, as you know,, it is really difficult to reproduce this issue, and I know why not so many user may not report it.

because once it is solved with re-start (this version), or simply ignore loppe  (old version), maybe nexttime we can not see any problem. 

So it only happen, when user set Exchange path, with 3dc2blender folda, and Exchange_folder.txt.. (those 3 file and folda need to be regonized, once. after that app-link work withotu problem for me,,)

And I almost confrim from those erroer message, and case when app-link failed ,,

problem may only happen when we click "Apply folda".. if user did not see the message = app link can find Exchange folda,, 

we never see issue.  so next time we do not see this erroer. 

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member

Then as for me, untill haikalle offered new app link version for blender 2.8 and later, 

windows user really often need to set each setting file manually, (change file path etc)  when 3d coat up-date version. 

then there was no clear infomation long time which work with recent 3d coat.

(so we serched around google, etc, found  user original way to solve issue, but it sometimes (or ofen) not work for others,, there were many trouble to work with app-link)

At current I really apreciate, , we can ask real author of current aprication and can return advice etc.. 

• Applink Developer

@tokikake Could you try this version  io_coat3D.zip

It's funny cause when I delete 3DC2Blender folder and press send. It gives blank box (no text) So I'm forced to select new path. What happens if you do the same. Even if you see path you would select it from forlder window again. Do you see that same error thou?

I don't see any errors on my side even if I do same steps.

Edited by haikalle

• Advanced Member
4 minutes ago, haikalle said:

@tokikake Could you try this version  io_coat3D.zip

It's funny cause when I delete 3DC2Blender folder and press send. It gives blank box (no text) So I'm forced to select new path. What happens if you do the same. Even if you see path you would select it from forlder window again. Do you see that same error thou?

I don't see any errors on my side even if I do same steps.

Actually I am now test with some case (eg set new exchange folda , from scene property, etc) so I found actually I need to re-start everytime when I change exchange folda path.

About current app-link, I think we can have multi "exchange" folda path.. with set "Exchange" folda, from scene property and T panell.

But about both case, I feel I need to once re-start blender, to app-link can export and import correctly.

Anyway I will do quick test with your new zip (not up-date blender, this time). . I think you can solve issue.. (we almost find  problem situatiion so can separate problem, we only need to care, how app-link set path and correctly up-date, (so do not show erroer). you can solve issue I believe  ;)

• Advanced Member
11 minutes ago, haikalle said:

It should work without re-start..there might be couple seconds delay before it kicks in but you should not need to re-start blender.

haikalle , I could not change Exchange folda with this version. so not recommend up-date for Git for a while

What I test is, set new Exchange folda, with delete all. (exchange and 3dc2blender) then see how it work.

after I tried it,, then save start up- file, to keep current scene setting,, now app-link can not export mesh without erroer (no dialogue in 3d coat)

• Advanced Member

So one main problem is,,  (I test with your offered zip, and I do not download blender package one, but everytime up-date with GIt to get real recent app-link so it is not problem)

Now your add on offer 2 way, to set Exchange path.

Then at least when I set Exchange path from scene property,, to save the setting it need to save blend file. 

the path seems attached as scene.property = so we need to save the scene. to keep the path. right?

because app-link seems set  the exchange path return old one, when I open new scene.  (at least in scene property )

but after all, new zip not export mesh (I change new Exchange path, so it cause this new problem, (but I keep old one so do not worry about it)

I see same issue, about another plug in, then I suppose if you can use gloval variable. (it need to save setting file, which discribe all, )

Edited by tokikake

• Applink Developer

When you set exchange folder in scene property. Then that info is saved into Exchange_folder.txt. And everytime you reopen blender. applink first checks if there is path in that file and uses that.

So there is no need any extra step to save that path.

Edited by haikalle

• Advanced Member
2 minutes ago, haikalle said:

When you set exchange folder in scene property. Then that info is saved into Exchange_folder.txt. And everytime you reopen blender. applink first checks if there is path in that file and uses that.

OK thanks now it seems clear for me.. but when I change scene property, then re-open blender, it not keep my edit but show old one..maybe I test again.

Haikalle,, did you test with remove all once?  (Exchange folda, 3dc2blender. and set new empty Exchange folda from scene property,, then test how it work,,)

• Advanced Member

I may attach new zip movie,  I do these things.

1.  I remove all Exchange folda, and 3dc2blender folda (and files) 

2. make new Empty Exchange folda for test.

3.  I open new scene (bledner start-up file). then set the new Empty exchange path from scene property Exchange

4. add cube and send , 

then see how it work.  anyway I hope you not up-date the new zip for a while.

newexchange.7z

Edited by tokikake

• Applink Developer

Yes. And that brings the problem when you change new exchange folder but the old data is still in startup scene. I will remove that it will automaticly update Exchange_folder.txt and maybe add button to save new exchange folder.