3DCoat Forums

Blender Applink

haikalle

• Advanced Member

Thanks haikalle :)

I have one request it related with VDM(vector displacement map) in blender with use other  test add on, with  import export blender to 3d coat (and return it)

https://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/25398-sculpt-with-surface-mode-and-export-with-keep-uv/

I now test  the VDM add on (it mainly offered for daz user, to generate vdm map from daz HD morph file),  it now add option, which can generate VDM from sculpted mesh and non sculpt mesh in blender. (so we only need sculpt mesh, and non sculpted mesh in blender), basically it is designed with multires modifier, but of course it still work, high resolution mesh, and sculpted mesh without multireso modifier. 

Then I plan to export high-res mesh to 3d coat  sculpt room>> sculpt with surface mode>> return it to blender  >> generate VDM 

to work it,  I need to keep same vertex order when generate VDM.  then I  may only sculpt with surface mode, but 3d coat seems auto change vertex order, when import mesh Sculpt room(trianglulate process I suppose)  and Export it. (without decimate). = keep vertex count.

(So at least without app-link auto adjust vertex order, even though I use app-link to import, export, it not matter. Can you contact 3d coat dev, about this issue?

I understand usually sculpt mesh not need to keep vertex order (at least current 3d coat not support such case  for high res mesh), but can you contact dev, or you can solve it by your add on importer exporter, if you can?  Of course I only use surface mode sculpt, and not decimate mesh, when return to blender. 

About other room , I already confirm, 3d coat can keep vertex order, so import , export by sculpt room seems only matter. 

If it work  I may ask the VDM add on author, if I can offer link for 3d coat user.  (at current it is test process, but basically it already work to add detail) . then I happend to find another your old topic which related with VDM, so if you plan to add those future, (sculpt in 3d coat, then return it as VDM with your blender add on exporter, ) for blender,  I may add link of the VDM add on.  

==========
Though it not directly relate with 3D coat, but if it work (3d coat keep vertex order in sculpt room import-export),  you can sculpt then generate VDM for base mesh,

like this

testsculpt.thumb.JPG.1055c0c779aa4a53b1e2e987d0a45deb.JPG

then use VDM for cube (non sculpt) as shader VDM node (adaptive sub-D for this test)

VDM.thumb.JPG.3e32e1b47bc84272600cc8d490afa0d6.JPG

You can imagine, if you sculpt (high- reso mesh) in 3d coat, with many your favor brush and tools, then return to blender character,

now it can generate VDM map. (and the add on alread offer option, which generate VDM with use Blender displace modifier compatible image,(RGB-XYZ)

so Eevee still work. (though at current I do not test it seriously) 

As best,, if 3d coat support simple VDM workflow, (it may more useful), but we may often hope to add some detail as Vector disp , for rig- character etc(then only activate VDM for final render),  the test use 1m cube, but it can generate VDM for all UV tile which suclpted.  So I hope if I can sculpt in 3d coat but generate VDM in blender with this test add on..

Edited by tokikake
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, are there issues with applink on Mac?  I have been trying to get app link to work for some time now.  I have gotten it to go to 3Dcoat a few times, but never back.  I deleted the application directories and let 3Dcoat rebuild and reset Blender by removing the blender settings folder in Application support.  

Here is some info. 

Blender = 2.92.0

3DCoat = 3.9.72(GL64)

When I start up Blender and activate Applink it creates the 3DC2Blender under ~/Documents.  This file is blank. 

When I start up 3DC it creates the following folders in the Documents folder.

3D-CoatV4 (Exchange is the only folder in this directory)

3D-CoatV49 (This has an Exchange folder as well.  Along with application files and UserData files)

Applinks (~/AppLinks/3D-Coat/Exchange)

Originally there were some scripts in the Applinks folder, however they have never repopulated when re-enabling the AppLink plugin.  At the moment I am not able to get the applink to work at all.  Any ideas?

Thank you

• Applink Developer

Hi @MeiNeiro

So you are able to get basic cube into 3d-coat when pressing SEND button but when you want to bring it back with GETBACK button nothing happens? can you you check blender console after you press getback button if there is any errors?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @haikalle

Thank you for responding.  Right now nothing is happening at all.  I did get it from Blender to 3DCoat once, but could not get it back properly.  I am also not seeing the send to blender link in 3DCoat at the moment.  In the hopes of fixing, I some completely broke it.  I am not getting any errors unless I do not select the object before pressing the send button.  I have looked for the model after trying to send, but I cannot find the model or textures in any of the directories listed in my first post.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @haikalle

I was wondering if you could help get the "export to" to appear in the file menu in 3DCoat. I can get blender to send to 3DCoat and I can get 3DCoat to send it back with "open in original app" but I can't send something built in 3DCoat to Blender. My 3DC2Blender folder is in my main SSD while the 3D-CoatV49 and AppLinks folders are in my second SSD. Thanks

Blender V2.92.0

3DCoat V4.9.67 DX

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I find it much easier to just export the model in Blender as an OBJ to a common folder and then import it into 3DC. When finished in 3DC export it to the common folder as an OBJ.

This Blender plugin is too buggy to use and too frustrating to maintain.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 12/13/2020 at 10:52 AM, haikalle said:

Now applink supports latest linux builds. I made this video to help to get started.

Also you need to update the applink script. You can download latest blender build or download applink from below.

io_coat3D.zip

Ok so this is the latest one that would work in 3dcoat V4 and blender 2.93 LTS?

• Advanced Member

It's working bi directional for me on blender 2.83 lts and 3dc 4.9.68.
I don't have that Get back button in blender. It just automatically updates when I press Open in original app in 3dcoat. 
Not sure if there would be any problem.

One thing if its possible to have the option not to use the group node. It seems when I export an fbx from blender with this group node the texture links aren't there on the fbx file. 
The fbx has no textures linked to it when opened in other appz or even in blender.

• Advanced Member

It's working bi directional for me on blender 2.83 lts and 3dc 4.9.68.
I don't have that Get back button in blender. It just automatically updates when I press Open in original app in 3dcoat. 
Not sure if there would be any problem.

1. One thing if its possible to have the option not to use the group node. It seems when I export an fbx from blender with this group node the texture links aren't there on the fbx file. The fbx has no textures linked to it when opened in other appz or even in blender. I suspect its the group node messing with fbx export from blender.

2. Also is it possible to work on a model that already has textures, and send and modify that in 3dcoat? When I send a model with textures from blender with this applink only the mesh is sent over to 3dcoat.

image.thumb.png.31342a262b5dcd1a16d69be8b3131336.png

Edited by geo_n
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

I can't get this to work on windows 10.  The applink acts different in windows 10. That get back button is there unlike in my other computer with windows 7.
When I press get back I get an error even though I've specied the exchange folder over and over and restarted and installed the add on over and over. Windows 10 issue?

image.thumb.png.a772f36e2289ea529dc3e4cac3a8ad82.png

image.png

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

For windows 10 and 2021 3d coat user (at current test with recent beta only), blender 2.93 worked .

But at current for 3d coat side problem, I can not relocate the data directory = I must need to use default Exchange folda.

but actuall export mesh and texture path can set as I like.

Btw I found , new2021 have 2 location for Exchange.

at least about blender applink, (and for 2021) it is  not in my document/3DCoat-2021/Exchange

But /documents/AppLinks/3D-Coat/Exchange

So I suppose,, with release 2021, 3d coat set it as new location for blender Exchange.

Then I set Exchange directory, like this

C:\Users\TAKE\Documents\AppLinks\3D-Coat\Exchange\

Though Do not know how it work for other user, but for me I need to set Exchange directory so.

I suppose it seems new default Exchange directory location for blender app link with widnows 3d coat 2021. may need to confrim dev.

If some one use different directory for Exchange (with change 3d coat data directory), and it work, hope to know your way. I can not relocate data directory anymore, with 2021 (it seems bug) as usuall way.  (those 3d coat data path setting is somehow annoying for me)

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member

Then after I set Exchange path as new one,, it only import mesh for 2021 ^^;   (After click export from blender, I launch 2 version, only 2021 seems work)

The reason should be,  I use relocate data for V4.9, (then before I set Exchange path along with my relocate data path) so Exchange path need to set so. 

but for V2021 I can not relocate it , then default Exchange path change as I describe above.

So I suppose even though you simply use default Data path (not relocate)  there seems case, it not work.   you may need to change Exchange path for 2021 or for V 4.9  in blender 3d coat setting (scene property panell) I suppose.

For 2021, default path should be C:\Users\xxxxx\Documents\AppLinks\3D-Coat\Exchange (because after I set so, 2021 could import and export mesh with textures)

For V 4.9 Exchange  path should be,  "your 3d coat data path"\Exchange   (the data path is shown when you check relocate 3d coat data  in 3d coat)

I could confirm if I set exchange path, each version 3d coat import same mesh. but it is annoying so I may only use one version for safety use at least for app link. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

source...

I found the problem. In 3DCoat 2021 it seems some things changed. The main thing is the exchange folder in Blender under Scene > 3DCoat Applink Settings needs to be set to the “Documents\AppLinks\3D-Coat\Exchange” folder.
All step are.
  1. Go into Blender > Edit Preferences > Add ons > search for “3D-coat”. the dash is vital. enable it. Maybe restart Blender if 3Dcoat tab doesn’t pop up.
  2. In Bender go to Properties Panel > Scene > 3D Coat Applink Settings needs to be set to the “Documents\AppLinks\3D-Coat\Exchange” folder. This is vital and the only folder that will work.
  3. Setting Object/Textures folder to any location. This will be where the textures objects are stored when reimporting form 3dcoat
  4. Select something. go to 3dcoat tab in blender. Hit send. Make sure 3dcoat is open before hitting send.
  5. Open 3Dcoat if you didn’t have it open already. 3dcoat should have a pop up.
  6. Make changes wanted in 3dcoat.
  7. Go to File > Open In Original App.
  8. In Blender hit GetBack in the 3D-Coat plugin tab.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Does Blender Applink v4.9.34 getback work with 3DCoat 2021.21?

I have been exporting to 3DCoat 2021 successfully since it came out, but I've done some extensive work and now trying to get it all back.   I used [Open in Original App] in 3DCoat, and it exported, but when I click [Get Back] in blender, nothing happens.  I do have BlenderApplink selected in the presets, but while I looked it over, I didn't see anything else I wanted or needed to change in the export dialog.  The blender Applink version is the same one that is distributed with Blender 2.93.2.

• Advanced Member

After examining open_in_original_app.txt, I see that it is pointing to "C:\Users\calla\Documents\3DC2Blender\ApplinkObjects\3DC117.fbx" however, 3DCoat is not creating the folder "C:\Users\calla\Documents\3DC2Blender" when it's exporting.  Do I need to create that to get it to work?

• Advanced Member
36 minutes ago, Callak said:

After examining open_in_original_app.txt, I see that it is pointing to "C:\Users\calla\Documents\3DC2Blender\ApplinkObjects\3DC117.fbx" however, 3DCoat is not creating the folder "C:\Users\calla\Documents\3DC2Blender" when it's exporting.  Do I need to create that to get it to work?

Tried this, didn't work.

• Advanced Member

Ok, so for starters, 3DCoat wasn't actually exporting anything, even though it was showing me the progress bars.   Something was wrong with the default object export location, once I selected it by hand I got export files to show up.  Unfortunately open_in_original_app.txt is still pointing to a file C:\Users\calla\Documents\3DC2Blender\ApplinkObjects\3DC117.fbx which is not being generated.  It's generating the object files there but not the fbx file.

• Advanced Member

Ok, I'm not even getting any output dialog in the blender console when I click getback there, so I assume it must be disabled in my version, either that, or there is no debug output.

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Callak said:

Ok, I'm not even getting any output dialog in the blender console when I click getback there, so I assume it must be disabled in my version, either that, or there is no debug output.

As for me "get-buck" only work when I generate and export mesh from "blender to 3d coat" once, then edit , open in original app >>  get buck can import the mesh to blender again.

Then if I start working  in 3d coat (generate new mesh) , and "export to Blender" , (as FBX I suppose), I need to use blender default FBX importer. I suppose.

(Do not know if it is default behavior or something wrong)

===

Then as we know 3d coat have 3 different type mesh,  (for texture with UV,  retopo (/modeling),  sculpt (/vertex paint) then it may change which room mesh you choose.  I only test with Paint room mesh, and Retopo room mesh. at current.  about both case, I think I need to start work form blender. 

That means, once export mesh to 3d coat by app-link then the scene mesh have link with 3d coat I suppose.  

And I could confirm if I send mesh as retopo  mesh(modeling room), then edit somehow and return mesh to Blender>> get buck  it turn round 90 degree, as geo_n reported. So suppose about retopo / modeling room mesh, there remain something wrong 

If I only work paint room mesh, and edit in tweak room I do not see such issue.  

1.  export mesh to blender for each room mesh = Work

2. export then return mesh from 3d coat as paint room mesh = Work (if I export it from 3d coat first)

3. export then  return mesh from 3d coat as retopo (modeling) room mesh = partially work but it rotate around 90 with world X axis. 

I think the difference is,  when I import FBX by blender FBX importer, it usually add 90 degree rotation for 3d coat Y UP coordinate, then not apply it. (so as view the mesh is already rotated then fit to blender Z up axis...  but if I use add on Get buck for retopo room mesh , the mesh seems not add 90 degree rotation. (not convert corrdinate. 

And some complex thing is, when I export mesh from retopo room,  I find 2 functions "Bring retopo mesh buck" and "Export poly mesh to blender" 

for me "Bring retopo mesh buck" only work with get buck , but mesh rotate around 90 ^^;

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, tokikake said:

As for me "get-buck" only work when I generate and export mesh from "blender to 3d coat" once, then edit , open in original app >>  get buck can import the mesh to blender again.

Then if I start working  in 3d coat (generate new mesh) , and "export to Blender" , (as FBX I suppose), I need to use blender default FBX importer. I suppose.

(Do not know if it is default behavior or something wrong)

All objects in this project were originally exported successfully from blender to 3DCoat.  I didn't do any other altering of the mesh in 3DCoat, I only wanted to paint it in the paint room.  It used to work in V4, as long as I exported it with [Open in Original App] first, then go to Blender and use [Get Back].  I noticed when I click  [Open in Original App] that I get a bunch of progress bars, but no files are generated.  If I specify the directory in the dialog by hand, ( even though I specified the exact directory that it defaults to ) then files are actually generated.  That's glitch number one, glitch number two is IF you change the name of your object file in the dialog box, the path and file name that is entered inside of "Open_in_Original_App.txt" still points to the default path and fbx file, and seems to not pay any attention to your changes.  Then, even if I work around all of these by simply making sure my entry matches "Open_in_Original_App.txt" exactly, the [Get Back] button in blender doesn't seem to do anything.  It doesn't even give an error or warning in the blender console.

• Advanced Member

Did you set Object/Texture folder in blender Scene property panel of your blend file?

blendersettiing.thumb.JPG.2387796b9715991820000cdf51c0cb42.JPG

51 minutes ago, Callak said:

All objects in this project were originally exported successfully from blender to 3DCoat.  I didn't do any other altering of the mesh in 3DCoat, I only wanted to paint it in the paint room.  It used to work in V4, as long as I exported it with [Open in Original App] first, then go to Blender and use [Get Back].  I noticed when I click  [Open in Original App] that I get a bunch of progress bars, but no files are generated.  If I specify the directory in the dialog by hand, ( even though I specified the exact directory that it defaults to ) then files are actually generated.  That's glitch number one, glitch number two is IF you change the name of your object file in the dialog box, the path and file name that is entered inside of "Open_in_Original_App.txt" still points to the default path and fbx file, and seems to not pay any attention to your changes.  Then, even if I work around all of these by simply making sure my entry matches "Open_in_Original_App.txt" exactly, the [Get Back] button in blender doesn't seem to do anything.  It doesn't even give an error or warning in the blender console.

I think it is location where 3d coat and app link use to export import mesh and textures. 

So basically I do not change folder or fbx name when I return mesh with textures from 3d coat  paint room. 

I avoid to change them.   though do not know it work for your case.

And I remember,  if I save 3d coat scene, then quit work, then re-open 3d coat scene,  and original blend file, I could not get-buck meshes any-more,  I reproted it before, but do not know if it is sloved or my setting was something wrong.

So If I open old saved 3d coat scene  which I export mesh with app link, then try to get buck I do not know if it work well .   usually once I start app link I keep to open blender and 3d coat untill I finish work.. then If I need to edit for those 3d coat scene, I may export textures and obj without ap-link , about this case, I need to manually set each texture  but basically it work for me.. though you may hope to use app-link to re-import textures and meshes about saved coat scene.

Edited by tokikake
  • Sad 1

• Advanced Member

To return textures with app link correctly

1.  I need to open the blend scene which I export mesh before, if I change scene app link not work to return mesh. 

2.  I need to keep texture name and directory as same as before. eg if you change texture prefix or texture directory this time, even though 3d coat export textures to the new directory, app link can not change current texture, that means you keep to use same export setting from 3d coat.  you may see dialogue when you open in original app.. 

3.  if you keep to use same texture name and setting,  actually you need not click get-buck, only need to export texture from 3d coat again , because blender simply keep those texture path, then when it is overwritten,  auto up-date. at least for texture, I need not use get-buck button any more.  it only need first time when I export textures from 3d coat. 

Then I keep to set object/texture directory for each blend scene usually .. so do not know if you do not set it, how app link work.

And I only set texture prefix when I export textures from 3d coat.. then once I set it, I simply keep the prefix.  do not know 3d coat remember it when I re-open the old coat scene though..  I can check each texture name by blender material shader node.. then even though I forget them I can pick the path and texture name correctly, then set it so when I export from 3d coat. then those texture will be auto over-written.   If you hope to make many set of textures for same mesh, I think you may better manually set each or save as different matterial with fake user.  anyway 3d coat generate textures when I open in original apps. so I manually set them in blender again. with keep app link auto generate shader nodes.   about these case I do not think 3d coat can auto up-date them correctly.  

Edited by tokikake
add more info

• 1 month later...

So after skimming this thread I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help me or not haha...

Okay so I'm trying desperately to get the AppLink working between 3D Coat and Blender. Everything in theory seems to be set up but it just... doesn't work. When I click "send" in Blender and then pop over to 3D Coat, like in the YouTube tutorial... nothing happens. No dialogue box pops up. And when I create an object in 3D Coat and select Export to Blender and save it, I go back to Blender and click "GetBack" and... nothing happens.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the issue might be? I'm sorry I can't provide more specifics but I can try to answer any clarifying questions. I REALLY REALLY want to get this to work.

On 9/16/2021 at 12:21 AM, Carlosan said:

For new releases and bug fix you can ask developer directly at 

https://blenderartists.org/t/3d-coat-applink-for-blender-2-8/1117068

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. For what it's worth, the developer doesn't seem responsive on that forum, at least not yet. I guess I'm just out of luck? I understand that I can't necessarily offer that much information about what my issue is, the AppLink just... doesn't work. Watched a dozen tutorials showing how it's supposed to work, but for me when I press the buttons to send something from Blender to 3D Coat just... nothing happens.  It's a shame because 3D Coat would be a huge upgrade to my Blender workflow but I don't think I'll be purchasing it if there is no easy way for me to get my assets into 3D Coat and back. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

hey all. trying to use the applink for the first time, so im sure its something im doing wrong. blender 2.92.0, 3dc 2021.53 and applink version 4.9.34. i set the paths to the exchange folder and made a "Blender" folder within that that its set to use. in blender, if i send i notice that a fbx file is created, and a folder named "bake" where the textures go, but nothing gets "pushed" to 3dc, nothing happens. in 3dc, there is no option under the file menu to push items to blender. i can export as an applink file, but again, nothing is pushed into blender. i can send from blender, and import the generated file into 3dc, but thats not applink functionality, thats normal every day stuff we been doing since the dawn of time. i have no previous experience with the applink to speak of, but from the videos it seems like a quick and easy process, just not working on this end.

• Advanced Member

made some progress after reading thru this thread and applying what was explained here to the workflow... setting the folder directory helped with being able to send to 3dc, but opening in original app created the fbx and textures, but the "get back" feature not working. im assuming the folder to receive from is not correct. all posts here claim anywhere is ok, but im not so sure and have no idea where i should have blender look for the updated file.

its a nice feature -if- its working, but if not, i suppose the old skool export>import will have to do.

to note, i created a new folder on my desktop to save the fbx and textures to. blender made this folder, and in 3dc on open in original app, the same folder directory set up in blender was there for the textures and object, however the textures were saved to the exchange folder. nothing seems to happen when i click the get back button in blender.

also to note, if the exported fbx file is opened by regular means, either in blender or any other of my 3d apps, it doesnt even load with textures applied =/

Edited by MatCreator