3DCoat Forums

Blender Applink

haikalle

• 2 weeks later...

Uninstalled 2022, 4.9 and all the Document files.

Installed 2022 and it still creates doc folders for 4.9 So you end up with 4 coat folders. 

could not get applink to work.

uninstalled 2022 ,deleted folders

installed 3DCoat 4.9.72 and Applink is working again, returned object does not create new objects.

re_install 2022, applink receives object, then creates new objects when sending them back. Note that it does not wait until you press "get back", it just sends then through. 

Also the poor thing is doing some strange things 4.9.72 does not do this with same mesh.  see below, dont get that lop sided shell in 4.9

poorthing.png

Edited by Sqwert

• Contributor

[Solved: clearing every settings file and folder and reinstalling both Blender and 3DCoat solved it]

Hi,

I'm trying to use the Blender to 3D-Coat applink. I have this issue:

When exporting from Blender to 3DCoat, the mesh is imported with the wrong Up Axis.

This happens when sending "Mesh As Voxel Object", "Mesh For Auto-retopology" since there's no way to de-activate Z-Up Coordinate System in the pop-up window that appears in 3DCoat.

Also, if I untick "Z-Up Coordinate System" option in 3DCoat's preferences, the Applink enables it on its own and leaves it in an enabled state. This shouldn't happen.

So, how do I send meshes from Blender with the Applink and have some control over the Up axis? It seems that something is hard coded and it isn't working.

Anyone successfully sending meshes into 3DCoat with the correc orientation?

Thanks in advance for any support.

EDIT: Well, I installed 3DCoat and Blender again, deleting every configuration files and folders just in case and now it works as expected.  Something, somewhere, was borked, apparently. Let's all move on with a happy face.

Edited by Allabulle
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi im having some issues with the applink from blender to 3dcoat no matter how much I try and read forum post it wont work so i figured migth as well ask here. Its my first time using it after getting my 3d coat license and when I click on send to send the mesh to 3d coat in this case on the send mesh as voxel object nothing happens, tried a lot of stuff frankly dont really understand much but I think it migth be an issue with my exchange folder?  rigth now in blender scene properties it is set to the applink exchange folder but yeah doesnt work tried setting it to the exchange forlder inside of the 3d coat file folder also doesnt work I tried deleting all the exchange folders and reopeing blender and 3d coat to re make those folders and set it to that nope not working it created the applink 3dc2blender and 3dcoatv4 folders which are all empty and no matter which one i choose nothing works hopefully someone can help

sorry for spelling mistakes english is not my first lenguage

On 5/2/2022 at 7:11 PM, gafferwiles said:

Hi,

I was constantly getting the "error" that my Blender Applink was installed but was out of date and instructing me to click OK to fix this. (It didn't fix it when I did click on OK.)

(I am running 3D-Coat 2022.24, but my files are still sitting in a 3D-Coat 2021 folder.)

I poked around and noticed a command windows appear briefly with some sort of batch file running, but this disappeared to fast for me to see what it was.

I ran Camtasia and captured the command window and saw that it was invoking a batch file "copy_applink.bat" that was sitting in \Documents\3DCoat\data\temp\ folder.

The batch file was pointing to Blender 3.0 and was running a powershell, but I have Blender 3.1 installed so the path was incorrect. I changed the bat script to point to Blender's 3.1 path, but the script still failed even though I was running the bat file as administrator.

The only way I was able to fix the problem was to physically copy the files in the \Documents\3DCoat\data\temp\ folder into the proper Blender folder (C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 3.1\3.1\scripts\addons\io_coat3D) I got a warning that the folders in the Blender folder were older than the ones I was copying from the 3D-Coat folder, so I guess that is where the problem was coming with the constant error when I started up 3D-Coat.

I hope that Pilgway will start to clean up its installs and move over to a more consistent path name for presets. Having a preset folder for each iteration of the 3D-coat program can eat up your diskspace. And as for the Blender Applink, perhaps there ought to be a better scripting to accommodate people with newer and older installs.

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Yes, it was saying 3.2 for myself and I'm on 3.3. worked like a charm. It's putting them in the wrong folder. 

On 11/1/2022 at 2:03 AM, hellyvidyagame said:

Hi im having some issues with the applink from blender to 3dcoat no matter how much I try and read forum post it wont work so i figured migth as well ask here. Its my first time using it after getting my 3d coat license and when I click on send to send the mesh to 3d coat in this case on the send mesh as voxel object nothing happens, tried a lot of stuff frankly dont really understand much but I think it migth be an issue with my exchange folder?  rigth now in blender scene properties it is set to the applink exchange folder but yeah doesnt work tried setting it to the exchange forlder inside of the 3d coat file folder also doesnt work I tried deleting all the exchange folders and reopeing blender and 3d coat to re make those folders and set it to that nope not working it created the applink 3dc2blender and 3dcoatv4 folders which are all empty and no matter which one i choose nothing works hopefully someone can help

sorry for spelling mistakes english is not my first lenguage

I want to echo this. 3D Coat automatically "detects" a old version of the Applink, but I never even used it before (I have blender installed). It then proceeds to create several folders in my Documents folder that are not used in any way and get recreated by 3D Coat when I delete them. Two points:

1. It would be great if it is an option to activate the Applink in the settings and 3D Coat only scanning for existing versions when the Applink is activated.
  2. I'd appreciate it, if only folders get created that are actually used.
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2022 at 2:58 AM, Sqwert said:

Hello, 

Issue regarding the 3d coat applink. Sending over a basic cube to 3d coat and converting to voxel. 

When clicked on "Send" there is nothing that happens. No error message or anything to let me know the issue. 

I have both blender and 3d coat opened. Blender is 3.4.0 while 3D coat is 2022.47 stable. 

Not sure what causing this issue. 

If anyone has a recommendation on solving this issue, please let us know! 

• 1 month later...

Hi I can't figure out how to run applink with blender, after pressing send button in blender, nothing change in 3dcoat ;/ do I need to set exchange folder (I'm almost sure that some time ago I have change something in setting and I have messed it up :D)

edit: after sending to 3dcoat from blender folder, exchange folder is updated but nothing change in 3dcoat
image.thumb.png.99ea0a18a469b7b4b03f64e0efb373fa.png

image.thumb.png.f044349a7ce750c76531200b4eff2df8.png

Edited by Szaibot

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
39 minutes ago, 3dmaven said:

Where do you even get the applink now? Pilgway's website leads to dead-ends.

3D Coat takes care of the app-link automatically, it will install it for you.

The only thing you have to do, is set up the add-on in Blender, that is, add the correct path to the exchange folder.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.08c7b4406561a24aff0ab2f60b75a388.jpg

Untitled1.thumb.jpg.6801df35f25150b55df638df653d3edb.jpg

• Like 2

• Contributor
On 2/21/2023 at 5:35 PM, 3dmaven said:

Where do you even get the applink now? Pilgway's website leads to dead-ends.

Hi. Applink is included in every Blender version as a buildin plugin. And the other side is included in 3Dcoat like @phoenixart said. And it is working with Blender3.6 alpha (not perfect but okay) and others. But I dont understand this in the first 2023 release notes:

- Blender AppLink updated to be able to exchange data with 3DCoat just from scratch install. So, just install 3DCoat, Blender, follow what 3DCoat tells (easy to follow) and then you may easily drop assets to Blender, including Factures. Compatibility with Blender 3.4 improved.

Sound very good!! But when does 3dcoat tells me what to do? I use prebuild daily Blender versions, so that will be something to find out.

• Contributor
On 2/23/2023 at 11:17 PM, Carlosan said:

This warning popups

image.png

Hello Carlosan, that is exactly what I needed! Thank You.

I was migrating this day to new fresh install of 3DCoat 2023, to see if the Folder structures have changed. So I also had to setup Applink.

Then I struggled because I set the wrong folder in Blender 3.6 and nothing showed up in Coat.  I finally read my own walkthrough:rofl:, which now I can say is still working!!

-3DC2Blender\ApplinkObjects Folder is for the Files,  but in Blender set: C:\Users\User\Documents\AppLinks\3D-Coat\Exchange. 

Now I used the plugin that is shipped with 3DCoat. I compared the 2 Plugins, which is newer. (and It is mixed.) The mainfile init_py, factures (texVR) and the json are newer from 3Dcoat install.

appl.png

Edited by Ctc_nick
  • Like 1

• Contributor
2 hours ago, Galnart said:

sent the model to per pixel painting and painted it inside 3dcoat, but when i press getback nothing happends

Hi! have you tried 'Open in Original App' under File in 3Dcoat. And then Getback in Blender?

I also thought nothing happend, but if I switch to Material Preview/Rendered Mode, the textures are on the original Object.

I wondered why a principled bsdf is created when hitting sent. The shader is filled with textures when pressing get back.

I hope that helps.

I'm missing the 'Send to Blender' button now. I only have the 'Back to Original' button.

Edited by Ctc_nick

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/24/2022 at 1:49 AM, Allabulle said:

[Solved: clearing every settings file and folder and reinstalling both Blender and 3DCoat solved it]

Hi,

I'm trying to use the Blender to 3D-Coat applink. I have this issue:

When exporting from Blender to 3DCoat, the mesh is imported with the wrong Up Axis.

This happens when sending "Mesh As Voxel Object", "Mesh For Auto-retopology" since there's no way to de-activate Z-Up Coordinate System in the pop-up window that appears in 3DCoat.

Also, if I untick "Z-Up Coordinate System" option in 3DCoat's preferences, the Applink enables it on its own and leaves it in an enabled state. This shouldn't happen.

So, how do I send meshes from Blender with the Applink and have some control over the Up axis? It seems that something is hard coded and it isn't working.

Anyone successfully sending meshes into 3DCoat with the correc orientation?

Thanks in advance for any support.

EDIT: Well, I installed 3DCoat and Blender again, deleting every configuration files and folders just in case and now it works as expected.  Something, somewhere, was borked, apparently. Let's all move on with a happy face.

Interesting. I'm actually facing this issue right now. I will try and see if your method works for me.

1 hour ago, Archnila said:

Interesting. I'm actually facing this issue right now. I will try and see if your method works for me.

ok, tried a fresh install and it didn't work. Workaround I had in the mean time is to export as obj with z axis up setting in Blender and then importing into 3Dcoat, but it takes longer. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/11/2010 at 4:17 AM, haikalle said:

Thanks. I will do some cleaning this week. Today when I was looking the Applink in blender, it reminded me NASA spaceship panel. A lot of diffrent settings and buttons.

Didn't like it at all. Applink should be easy and fast to use. I would like to know your feedback about this. Do you like if there is all these small settings or should the

workflow be easier.

I can speak for myself, but a brows to applink directory in the editor -> preferences would be extremally helpful.

Right now the blender applink is sending fbx files as it should be 3dcoat isn't acknowledging any if it.