3DCoat Forums

Blender Applink

haikalle

• Advanced Member

You can export meshes. Just add any mesh and export it as Voxel Object.

Hi mifth, to clarify, this is what I meant...I'm not sure if it's possible, but I would come in very handy.

post-3280-0-95865800-1373650991_thumb.jp

Hi mifth, to clarify, this is what I meant...I'm not sure if it's possible, but I would come in very handy.

Aha, i get you. But it seems they are buggy. If I put my obj file there i get a crash every time when i select my model there.

The only proper way i found just to export models as Voxel Primitive.

HxQDpc6.png

Edited by mifth

• Advanced Member

If you can add a free-form and have no crush, then give me your obj file... and i'll try to add it.

I get a crash too...I'll make a mantis report though, because it would be very useful.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps someone will know why this is happening :

When I do a standard Export of my Retopo Mesh from the Paint Room.. I only select the Normal and Texture maps.. and no other boxes are checked.

I then import the OBJ file into Blender and it looks like the retopo mesh .. with all the "boxy" edges to it.  I apply the tex and normals yet it still looks "boxy" or raw without any smoothing.

When I use the applink .. it comes in looking really nice.. (the actual texture is way darker than it looks in 3D Coat so I'm not sure why that happens.. this seems to be an export thing though and not exclusive to applink)

The problem seems to be that when I am using the Applink.. I can't seem to be able to link or append other blender files or parts of blender files into the applink blender project .. such as a bone rig I previously created.

These may all be stupid questions or have obvious answers that my inexperience with 3D Coat, Blender and Applink are rising from.  Any tips on how to resolve the issues of :

Importing the obj without the applink so it still looks smooth as it does when I import using applink

Keeping the brightness/colour of textures light as they look in 3D Coat and not Dark like they appear when using the applink or importing the exported Texture Map.

Why I am not able to append / link from other .blend files into the new file that contains the imported 3D Coat character when using applink.

Ok I figured out part of this now.. the manual import that doesn't show the object as smooth relates to the Shading.. on the left hand side in Blender you will see Shading.. Smooth or Flat.. pick Smooth and there you go.  then when you assign the model it's normal map all will be as good as it should be.

As for why it's so dark.. this remains a mystery :s seems to do that regardless manual or non.. so I am going to guess that in 3D Coat htere is an area light which makes the objects look far brighter than they are in Blender.  So to fix this you simply turn down the ambient lighting and direct light so it looks a little dark in 3D Coat and start painting away.

• 5 weeks later...

Can someone update me as to the status of the two 3D-Coat applink addons? There is one from Haikalle in Blender numbered version 3.5.20 and there is the Simple 3D-Coat applink version 0.3 which looks to be a collaboration by Haikalle and Paul Geraskin. Are either of these current, does one function better than the other, are either still under development?

Can someone update me as to the status of the two 3D-Coat applink addons? There is one from Haikalle in Blender numbered version 3.5.20 and there is the Simple 3D-Coat applink version 0.3 which looks to be a collaboration by Haikalle and Paul Geraskin. Are either of these current, does one function better than the other, are either still under development?

Hello,

Simple3DCoat addon is a fork of the official Hainkalle's addon. At present, only me have been developing the simple3DCoat addon. But any developer/tester is welcome.

At present, official script has some bugs which should be fixed. 

Here is comparison of scripts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aAj2rCt_nA

My Roadmap for 0.4 version:

- Add option for Collada and FBX export/import. As they have more features like multiple UVs, animation etc.

- Use groups for importing objects. In this way we can replace objects properly.

I will also make another topic for simple3DCoat, as this topic is for the official script.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys! I did simple3DCoat 0.3.2 version.

Changes:

- Export/Import through Obj/Fbx/Collada(only Windows)

- Apply rotation when model is imported.

I also did my own topic and i will post news there:

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15481

At present I finalize the addon. As all features are added which I wanted to add.

Edited by mifth

• 2 years later...

Hi Haikalle.

I like your plugin a lot because of some nice elements like keeping origin hierarchy informations and modifier stack.

I have found a small bug. If you fix it, then your plugin is my favorite one because of the mentioned options.

The issue:

You are not supporting rotation infos of parent objects like "empties".

How to reproduce:

1. Create an ampty object.

2. Create an Cube

3. Set the empty object to be the parent of the cube. (You can just move it in the outline into the empty object)

4. Now move the cube somewhere outside the center position.

5. Rotate the empty now.

6. Export the cube to 3D-Coat and set some UVs f.e.

7. Import the Cube back when ready.

-> The Cube is still at the right transform position and in the hierarchy of the empty, but the rotation has changed.

It seems you are not saving the rotation infos of the parent objects. I guess there will be problems too, when I scale the empty.

Is it possible to fix this please?

Thank you a lot

Chris

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I tried the AppLink with Blender 2.79. The Model gets transferred from Blender to 3D Coat. I painted a smiley face on it and transfered it back to Blender. Doesn't seem to work.

Here is a video:

• 11 months later...
  • Applink Developer

Hi! I have been slowly updating my script to work 2.8. Here is some updates I written into script.

+ Support multi objects transfer into 3d-Coat and back to blender.

+ Nodes are supported.

-  Blender 2.8 has many bugs conserning materials so it will  slow down  

I write this script mainly focus blender 2.8 release. Eevee renderer with 3d-coat could be match made in heaven so I try to make this script very powerful. 

There is a lot things to do but let me know if you want to test the beta script and I send it to you. There is no official testing yet. Too early.

I was sad that Haunted was not able to continue with his version of applink. He had just a great start. This applink has always been fun project to me. ( as a hobby) and I think 

that there is so many other who could code this much better than me :)   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Applink Developer

Hi! Just two seconds ago I updated the applink script into blender2.8 branch. So next blender 2.8 build that is put into https://builder.blender.org/download should be much more stable than

versions before. I made i quick tutorial video how to use. Still in beta thou :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Applink Developer

5.0 Version is out ! I mean applink :)

Now code is very stable that you can play with it. Have fun. I will make official tutorial a little bit later but for now I created a small guide for you into first page.
Main new features in this version are:

1. Added node support
  2. You can take multiply objects into 3d-Coat, not just one. You can move, scale, rotate each object in blender scene and it dosen't break the applink link.
Edited by haikalle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Applink Developer

Small update. Changed the 3d-coat panel from scene tab into 3D view tools. Thanks for Mifth and his applink version to point out that it's working much better there :)
Here is again small video about the prosess where applink is heading.

• Like 5

• Applink Developer

-Vertex Group support. For example you can have hair system on your object. Using Vertex group for hair density and still use applink :)

"Vertex color" maps are not yet supported in applink. Everything else (uv-sets, vertex groups, vertex weights) should transfer just okey. 

Edited by haikalle
  • Like 1

Just fyi, obj files don't support vertex groups but they do support poly groups. Blenders obj importer/exporter can map the verts to these poly groups but the grouping discards any isolated verts for obvious reasons. Thought it was worth pointing out for anyone that decides to use that feature.

You mentioned supporting vertex weights, but afaik 3D-Coat doesn't support them (It has no rigging system after all). How is that being handled?

• Applink Developer

My last version of applink deleted vertex weights when it updated the mesh from 3d-coat. New applink code do not take anything into 3d-coat that is not  supported there, but with this new applink version users can safely make them in blender and they are still there after updating the mesh data from 3d-coat :) 

Now you can for example keep updating face textures while there is blender hair applied to mesh.

Edited by haikalle

Oh I see. Yea I have the same thing in the Max applink for layer, pivot position, pivot rotation, bounding box (selection brackets), parent/child hierarchy, and selection set. However, normally I don't use that method when painting and instead use a 'import only materials' function where the applink reads through the obj file to get the names of the meshs and their materials, then reconstructs and applies the materials without importing any meshs. I figure why import the models if all you need are the materials :)

• Carlosan changed the title to Blender 2.83 Applink