3D Coat Forums
haikalle

Blender Applink

Hi Haikalle! Sorry, I called you as Journeyman. I thought that's your nick.

I refactored my fork again to v0.2:

- Exchange folder is set in Addon Preferencies. It will be set only one time and the path will work for all blend files.

- Export/Import files will be in Exchange/BlenderSimple3DCoat.

- blenderExport.obj and blenderImport.obj files only used for transfering. There will be less garbage.

Download here: https://code.google.com/p/blender-addons-by-mifth/source/browse/#hg%2Fio_simple_3dcoat

Here is a screenshot of the Exchange folder:

1nX8ZhR.png

So there is a matter: I talked to Ideasman_42(Cambell Burton) to put my script to blender repo. But he said that there should be only one script. So the question is: would you like to work with my fork and put it to blender? You can add textures support to my fork. But there should be a bit different way that you already have. As names in 3dCoat are different. And User can change names of objects/UVsets in 3DCoat too. Or user can simply remove half of models/UVsets.

Hi mifth!

These updates looks great. I have some freetime this coming weekend so we can talk about applink. I will contact you on friday or saturday.

I try to arrange that you can have access to change the applink code into blender trunk. See you soon :)

OK! I PM you. Waiting you in IRC. Just give me your coordinates.

I did new version v0.3. New features:

- Copy exported textures to a custom path.

- Clear Exchange folder.

Here is my commit: https://code.google.com/p/blender-addons-by-mifth/source/detail?r=12f3c4b1aa05a6a536a8db0765d240bb27552aea

K02WGoc.png

I guess i did almost everything what I wanted to implement. Waiting your review and talk on IRC.

EDITED: I have an access to the blender trunk and i can commit.

Edited by mifth
  • Like 1

@ haikalle

Any update on the Applink working for Blender Cycles that you were working on.

@David

You don't really need the applink to export to cycles, not you, or me. If it is a final render anyway.

But reasonable enough to have a direct nice cycles preview when working in 3dcoat, right?

I mean, we have to wait for this "ubershader". Still waiting. Some changes on the cycles nodes UI were needed first. Devs working as we speak. Patience.

If a direct link of the basic exported 3dcoat maps is possible, then, that's it.

You have a basic scene, a template, with some lighting setup.

Then, just preview render, fine tune the values and... render.

A couple of months ago, we weren't sure what kind of normal maps cycles loves.

Even now, with the existing applink, if we have a nice template, a ready made material node tree, the only needed is to select the texture on the appropriate tex node. Already in the blender data base.

One day, cycles will be capable to bake its nodes (noodles LOL) to a tex map. Then, we can come back to the applink, because a nodes system is endless in possibilities, multiply these with the layer based 3dc system. Well, ... any approach will be possible.

I just think.. why do you need import shaders? All you need is meshes and textures.

I oftenly make complex nodes setup. So all i need to update is only textures and meshes. I prefer to make shaders by my own.

@mifth

Import shaders?

Do you mean to link textures to a ready made "ubershader" for instance? Or to a ready made typical cycles nodes tree, diffuse, glossy, bumps etc?

Well, I don't care much, what we have now is all I need. Textures are already in the database of blender, just assign them to the appropriate tex node.

What about the opposite? Assign a texture under cycles, on a object. How to jump to 3dcoat for painting? Does the appling supports assigned textures by cycles?

BTW, the tex painting in blender is under development. It still sucks a bit. And, I'm afraid, it will be so for long. So, Jumping to 3dcoat, for painting textures is always a pleasure for blender users. I wouldn't say the same for zbrush, for many many reasons. lol

A question: Blender supports multiple vertexpainting sets. Unfortunately, I haven't find a way to support it via the 3dcoat vpaint system. One set only, is all I can do.

Vpaint sets are very useful under cycles, as can be used to colorize or to control other textures, bumps, or whole shaders etc.

You can export meshes. Just add any mesh and export it as Voxel Object.

Hi mifth, to clarify, this is what I meant...I'm not sure if it's possible, but I would come in very handy.

post-3280-0-95865800-1373650991_thumb.jp

Hi mifth, to clarify, this is what I meant...I'm not sure if it's possible, but I would come in very handy.

Aha, i get you. But it seems they are buggy. If I put my obj file there i get a crash every time when i select my model there.

The only proper way i found just to export models as Voxel Primitive.

HxQDpc6.png

Edited by mifth

If you can add a free-form and have no crush, then give me your obj file... and i'll try to add it.

If you can add a free-form and have no crush, then give me your obj file... and i'll try to add it.

I get a crash too...I'll make a mantis report though, because it would be very useful.

Perhaps someone will know why this is happening :

When I do a standard Export of my Retopo Mesh from the Paint Room.. I only select the Normal and Texture maps.. and no other boxes are checked.

I then import the OBJ file into Blender and it looks like the retopo mesh .. with all the "boxy" edges to it.  I apply the tex and normals yet it still looks "boxy" or raw without any smoothing.

When I use the applink .. it comes in looking really nice.. (the actual texture is way darker than it looks in 3D Coat so I'm not sure why that happens.. this seems to be an export thing though and not exclusive to applink)

The problem seems to be that when I am using the Applink.. I can't seem to be able to link or append other blender files or parts of blender files into the applink blender project .. such as a bone rig I previously created.

These may all be stupid questions or have obvious answers that my inexperience with 3D Coat, Blender and Applink are rising from.  Any tips on how to resolve the issues of :

Importing the obj without the applink so it still looks smooth as it does when I import using applink

Keeping the brightness/colour of textures light as they look in 3D Coat and not Dark like they appear when using the applink or importing the exported Texture Map.

Why I am not able to append / link from other .blend files into the new file that contains the imported 3D Coat character when using applink.

Ok I figured out part of this now.. the manual import that doesn't show the object as smooth relates to the Shading.. on the left hand side in Blender you will see Shading.. Smooth or Flat.. pick Smooth and there you go.  then when you assign the model it's normal map all will be as good as it should be.

As for why it's so dark.. this remains a mystery :s seems to do that regardless manual or non.. so I am going to guess that in 3D Coat htere is an area light which makes the objects look far brighter than they are in Blender.  So to fix this you simply turn down the ambient lighting and direct light so it looks a little dark in 3D Coat and start painting away.

Can someone update me as to the status of the two 3D-Coat applink addons? There is one from Haikalle in Blender numbered version 3.5.20 and there is the Simple 3D-Coat applink version 0.3 which looks to be a collaboration by Haikalle and Paul Geraskin. Are either of these current, does one function better than the other, are either still under development?

Can someone update me as to the status of the two 3D-Coat applink addons? There is one from Haikalle in Blender numbered version 3.5.20 and there is the Simple 3D-Coat applink version 0.3 which looks to be a collaboration by Haikalle and Paul Geraskin. Are either of these current, does one function better than the other, are either still under development?

Hello,

Simple3DCoat addon is a fork of the official Hainkalle's addon. At present, only me have been developing the simple3DCoat addon. But any developer/tester is welcome.

At present, official script has some bugs which should be fixed. 

Here is comparison of scripts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aAj2rCt_nA

My Roadmap for 0.4 version:

- Add option for Collada and FBX export/import. As they have more features like multiple UVs, animation etc.

- Use groups for importing objects. In this way we can replace objects properly.

I will also make another topic for simple3DCoat, as this topic is for the official script.

Hi guys! I did simple3DCoat 0.3.2 version.

Changes:

- Export/Import through Obj/Fbx/Collada(only Windows)

- Apply rotation when model is imported.

I also did my own topic and i will post news there:

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15481

At present I finalize the addon. As all features are added which I wanted to add.

Edited by mifth

Hi Haikalle.

I like your plugin a lot because of some nice elements like keeping origin hierarchy informations and modifier stack.

I have found a small bug. If you fix it, then your plugin is my favorite one because of the mentioned options.

The issue:

You are not supporting rotation infos of parent objects like "empties".

How to reproduce:

1. Create an ampty object.

2. Create an Cube

3. Set the empty object to be the parent of the cube. (You can just move it in the outline into the empty object)

4. Now move the cube somewhere outside the center position.

5. Rotate the empty now.

6. Export the cube to 3D-Coat and set some UVs f.e.

7. Import the Cube back when ready.

-> The Cube is still at the right transform position and in the hierarchy of the empty, but the rotation has changed.

It seems you are not saving the rotation infos of the parent objects. I guess there will be problems too, when I scale the empty.

Is it possible to fix this please?

Thank you a lot

Chris

Is it possible to mark seamns after import from 3D-Coat please?

Everything seems to working until Blender 2.78B than the plugin didn't work anymore.  I'm not sure what has happen with this release but it doesn't work anymore.  Is there any help on this