3DCoat Forums

Blender Applink

haikalle

• Applink Developer

Here is a quick video about one of the feature that applink supports. If you have saved your project in 3d-coat. Applink will bind that "3dcoat project filepath" into objects in blender. In large scenes you might have several objects that you
are working in 3d-coat. This feature helps to work between files quickly and easily. You can get access to 3dview 3d-coat applink menu by pressing 'Q' key.

And remember that this not only work when you work only one object. You can have sets of multply objects and this still works.

Edited by haikalle

• Applink Developer

Hi! Anyone who has had crashes when clicked "update" button, please turn off "Group nodes" for now. There is bug inside of blender2.8 that makes group node to crash in some situation. I will
let you know when this bug is crushed or I find a hack. : )

shot4.jpg.63f0183d91d87f90f5b92e0ac6563776.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, thanks for all the work on the AppLink. I would like to make a suggestion that you change kmi = km.keymap_items.new('wm.call_menu', 'Q', 'PRESS') to kmi = km.keymap_items.new('wm.call_menu', 'Q', 'PRESS', shift=True), or something similar. That way the addon does not interfere with the default Q quick menu shortcut in 2.80.

Thanks again for all your hard work

• Like 1

• Applink Developer

Applink updated:
- Now supports multi materials per object
-Fixed couple bugs that was causing crashes. It's more stable but still needs some work. You can have a lot of fun already with this applink but do not use for production work.

I will download tutorial video about these new features shortly.

shot6.thumb.jpg.3b777e7564be9d99fe0c88f4e78d890e.jpg

• Like 2

• Applink Developer

Hi!

https://builder.blender.org/download/ Is the place where you can download latest blender 2.8 version. I just commited new changes so builds that are released after (December 7th) will
include applink changes. Here is also rar file if you want to manually replace addons/io_coat3D folder. I made quick tutorial how to use it. I will make better tutorial when every feature/bug fixing
is set into stone.

io_coat3D.rar

• Like 2

For some reason this is the one addon that I've never been able to get to work, I'm able to transfer a model from Blender to 3DCoat and from 3DCoat to Blender by using import option and bringing in a model from the Exchange folder, but when I add any textures in 3DCoat and try to update in Blender nothing happens, am I doing something wrong here?

• Like 1

• Applink Developer

Hi Ben! 

I made this quick tutorial and added this text to help. Hope you can make applink to work after this tutorial:

Make sure that you have latest Blender 2.8 version. https://builder.blender.org/download/  2.79 version is not officially supported anymore.

0:01 If you don't see 3D-Coat Applink panel, you need to first activate it. You can do this When you go Edit -> Preferences... -> Add-ons panel 
Then find "3D-Coat Applink" and press a checkbox to make it activate. Then it's good to press "Save preferences" button to make sure you don't
need to do this step in the future.

0:17 You need to adjust the tool panel to see 3D-Coat panel

0:25 Select object(s) you want to take into 3D-Coat and then press Transfer. After this you can open your 3D-Coat

0:33 You should see this window when 3D-Coat opens. Make sure that you select "Treat material as separate textures" And press OK. Now you
should see your object(s) in 3D-Coat and you are ready to paint.

0:55 When you ready go to File -> Open in orginal App. Export window shows up and you can select which textures you want to export. Here I use
default settings. Applink now support for Color, Roughness,Metalness and Normal maps. Press OK button.

1:14 Now go to back into blender and press update button. Select shading mode: Rendered to see your textures in 3D view.

1:31 You can go your shader editor to see what nodes is created automaticly for you. 

After this you can go back to 3D-Coat and continue your painting and after painting updates press File -> Open in orginal. In blender press update to 
see updated textures. Hope this helps 

Edited by haikalle
  • Like 1

• Applink Developer

Good to hear it's working. Yeah I try to give a feedback to Andrew to turn on "treat materials as separate textures" as e default setting when using blender applink.
Every time when you re-open 3d-coat it will turn off that option so it's very easy to miss this option. I have done that error several times already. 

I am going from Blender into 3DC UV.  The object transfers, I do the UV, I use Open In Original App, then hit transfer back in Blender.  But the UV is not there, only the one that Blender does.  I did apply the UV in 3DC.  Does this feature work, or am I missing something?  Using Blender 2.8, a build from 11 Dec, and 3DC 4.8.25(GL) on Windows 10.  Thanks.

• Applink Developer
9 minutes ago, JBT27 said:

I am going from Blender into 3DC UV.  The object transfers, I do the UV, I use Open In Original App, then hit transfer back in Blender.  But the UV is not there, only the one that Blender does.  I did apply the UV in 3DC.  Does this feature work, or am I missing something?  Using Blender 2.8, a build from 11 Dec, and 3DC 4.8.25(GL) on Windows 10.  Thanks.

Hi! Make sure that you have checked "update mesh" before pressing update.  By the default applink bring only textures but changing this setting update your mesh/uv too

dynamic1.thumb.jpg.8d6987b577d29816f47a8254ee4b290f.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, haikalle said:

Hi! Make sure that you have checked "update mesh" before pressing update.  By the default applink bring only textures but changing this setting update your mesh/uv too

Ah!  Now it's working!  Thank you very much.

Hello, haikalle! When my workflow: Blender to 3dcoat to blender, in shading view automatically create 3DC_Applink, that perfect! But when my workflow 3dcoat to Blender, 3DC_Apllink is not create(  How can I make an 3DC_Apllink automatically created when importing from 3dсoat? This is real? I do everything as in your lesson 

• Applink Developer

Hi Karmasaver. I did some tests and it seams that there is a small bug right now. You need to press "update"  button twice to update scene. This should be very easy fix. 
I did small video about this workflow.

Edited by haikalle

• Advanced Member

Hi this plug in will work current 3d coat beta?

I arelady activate your plug in for blender 2.8 (newest build which I complie from git blender BF)

And I set 3d coat exe path as current installed 3d coat beta, in bleder 2.8 ui, (property, scene >Folders l)

then when I click transfer, I could find FBX file are exported,, in "C:\Users\TAKE\Documents\3DC2Blender\ApplinkObjects"

but even though I run 3d coat. exe, it never show the import setting window.,

0:25 Select object(s) you want to take into 3D-Coat and then press Transfer. After this you can open your 3D-Coat

0:33 You should see this window when 3D-Coat opens.

Though I could manually import fbx, but it not up-date, and I can not 

I am afraid, I set 3d coat  user directory path, in another drive,, if it cause matter? and I can not find "export to blender menu"

I blieved old versions I could find the menu,, but recent beta versions, I can not find the menu too  > <;

• Applink Developer

Hi tokikake!

Let's try to solve this together. Do you have 3D-Coat48 folders in your Documents folder. After pressing transfer button, applink creates import.txt file into your Documents/3D-Coat48/Exchange folder. 
Can you see this file? Also if you follow this video what happens. And Falconius made a good point. Make sure you have export type example = per-pixel painting.

Edited by haikalle

• Carlosan changed the title to Blender 2.83 Applink