3DCoat Forums

Blender Applink

haikalle

• Applink Developer

I need to ask couple extra question to understand your workflow fully. 

1. You take mesh from blender into 3d-coat (without any textures)
2. In 3d-coat you use Textures -> Texture Baking tool to create textures.
3. Now you want that applink is using these textures in blender.

Is this what you ask?

• Applink Developer

Now I got it :) I will take a look at this. Should be quite possible. So after baking you want to replace the textures that was imported from 3d-coat with the baked textures?

Edited by haikalle

• Applink Developer

I will put here some ideas that I would like to add into applink. Most important thing is to improve overall use of the applink.
But here is some kind of roadmap what could be added in the future:

* Bake support
* Houdini support. (Taking object into houdini and them bring modified object back into same place)
* V-Ray node support. But this means that ChaosGroup is making V-Ray for 2.8. And there is no news yet about this.

• Like 2

As it turned out the error "CUDA error at cuCtxCreate: Illegal address" does not apply to your plugin and occurs in Blender 2.80. I hope it will be corrected, it leads to the impossibility of baking textures on the graphics card. As an option to export the system nodes created by AppLink Blender from Blender in Blender 2.79 2.80, and make baking already there. This method makes it possible to use your plugin but bake textures in a stable version 2.79.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Since several recent versions of 2.8 beta I can't change 3D-Coat .exe path in applink configuration. I know, that's not a problem of the addon. It's something with blender - I noticed it doesn't save startup file (and probably something else). But I'm not an experienced blender user, just testing some things. So maybe you know what's the problem?

PS: running on Win 7 as an Administrator

Ok, I just found that i'm dumb: i didn't notice confirmation window while saving startup file. :) Damn, what an interface in blender!

Edited by druh0o

• Applink Developer

Hi! I start to code a feature that applink will bake textures in blender and send them into 3d-coat with mesh.

If there is other features that are bake related please let me know of them and I check if I can include them too

Edited by haikalle
  • Like 1

• Applink Developer

New baking feature on its way into 3D-Coat applink for Blender. This is still a little bit beta so if someone wants to give a try, be carefull. Big difference is that in 
this version you need to TURN OFF "Treat materials as separate textures". I did some tests and it seams that this could be better way, but needs some testing still.

io_coat3D.rar

Also a big thanks to Andrew. He guided me into right direction with applink coding several times this week :)

Edited by haikalle
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Hi haikalle,

Thanks again for your hard work on this applink!  Just wondering, to get the most recent version, do I just download the daily build of Blender 2.8 or do I get the link in here?  Thanks!  I'm going to integrate this tool into my workflow.

• Applink Developer
7 hours ago, gbball said:

Hi haikalle,

Thanks again for your hard work on this applink!  Just wondering, to get the most recent version, do I just download the daily build of Blender 2.8 or do I get the link in here?  Thanks!  I'm going to integrate this tool into my workflow.

This time I didn't updated daily blender build. New bake feature is not really tested for bugs so I updated applink  into link here only.

• Advanced Member

Ok, I see, 

So you are able to commit to the daily build whenever you feel you have a new stable version?  Is there a log for that somewhere on their site?

• Applink Developer
5 hours ago, gbball said:

Thanks a lot!

No problems. And remember that if you have a good ideas how applink should work or you see some features that are missing, please let me know and I see if they can be added. 
I have learned that best ideas comes from users so it's better to leave the brain work to others and only do the coding part :) 

• Advanced Member

Hi haikalle, thanks good plug in, and keep update:)

Then I do not know it is important for other user, but one thing I hope to add is, import mesh as shape key option,

I  tweak or edit (move), per pixel painting obj or retopo obj,  though most of case replace is OK,  but when I try to sculpt and bake textures for already made

character mesh,," import as shape key " option is important for me.

But there seems one problem about 3d coat FBX import export process, it seems not keep vertex order,,but obj import export seems work at lease

about "per pixel paint import object", and "retopo import object" I feel.

I need more test, but when I use import ,export as obj, it can generate shape key without problem, but if I use import or export FBX,, it seems cause issue..

Then this plug in need to use FBX importer of 3d coat ,right?   then if there is good way, I hope this option will be added.:)

and hope when you can take a time,, check plug in replaced mesh can use as shape key or not.  As my test, it seems not work.

(maybe FBX exporter (or importer) seems break vertex order, which saved in paint room)

• Advanced Member

I test again, with mesh which export as FBX from blender then re-import without any defomation. it can keep vertex order.

but if I import same FBX to 3d coat, then just export as FBX from 3d coat again,  exported mesh never work (I apply scale, rotation things correctly)

and I see effect, which I often see when vertex order is broken.  (so untill FBX exporter of 3d coat will keep vertex order, I can not request this^^;)

broken.JPG

• Applink Developer
1 hour ago, tokikake said:

I test again, with mesh which export as FBX from blender then re-import without any defomation. it can keep vertex order.

but if I import same FBX to 3d coat, then just export as FBX from 3d coat again,  exported mesh never work (I apply scale, rotation things correctly)

and I see effect, which I often see when vertex order is broken.  (so untill FBX exporter of 3d coat will keep vertex order, I can not request this^^;)

broken.JPG

Thanks for this feedback. Really helpful. I have been testing this "keep vertex order" feature past month and I agree, this feature is very important to have. I haven't found the way to add this feature into applink but I hope that with Andrew help we could add this missing part into applink. 

I could use obj format instead fbx but fbx format supports so much more features than obj so I would like to keep it fbx. But I continue do more test with this feature and keep you posted when there is something new coming.

• Advanced Member

I understand FBX now becom more popular for convert  meshes in apricaitons. then it seems reasonable you choose FBX.

Then the great thing is,, your app can import FBX without problem with 3d coat, (and it now show all UV tiles of UDIM about  complex character

And for just my purpose,, I could find stable way to re-import mesh as OBJ for shape keys and blender.:)

About other things current plug in work without problem . (so it only need when I make morph from 3d coat mesh which imported by plug in)  

After transfer mesh to 3d coat, I tweak it to adjust some shape.

then export as morph.obj, as same as "Open in original app".

There is only one option I need to change was " apply addtional scale as 0.01" in export option. (maybe this scale need for convert FBX to obj with blender units )

exportsetting.thumb.JPG.91a68038c2d7001e24515a6c7118456c.JPG

I import the morph.obj with "default blender import setting" (must check keep vertexorder)

now import mesh can keep same size. but when you import as obj, it change rotation and scale value, then apply "rotation, scale, transform".

after that I can use the import.obj to join as new sahpe  to add new shape key without problem.

• Advanced Member

Thanks haikalle (and thanks 3d coat dev team)^_^

Then  I hope to mention about blender FBX exporter limitation. and one add on which may be useful with mix your plug in.

As you know, it can not generate mesh with keep armature posing and shape keys. 

To export posed (with shape key) mesh, we need to remove shape keys (or make new shape keys with mix all and use it as base) then apply armature modifier.  But about obj, it can export mesh with keep visual transforms of vertices. (so export mesh keep pose with shape keys applied)

But after all, even though we edit mesh in 3d coat then, return as new obj (or FBX), current blender default shape key tools not forgive us to return the shape as new shape keys of character mesh,  when the character mesh already posed (with other shape keys value)

I only know one add on, it can generate new shape keys, with keep posing.  (transfer current shape (mesh) to posing character mesh as new shape key)  

https://archive.blender.org/wiki/index.php/Extensions:2.5/Py/Scripts/Corrective_Shape_Key/

It is default add on (from community) of blender,  But this add on not work for 2.8  I have waited a long time, but there seems no one try to up-date it as official, then yesterday, I up-date it.  it seems work.

I do not think it need for most of 3d coat user, (and haikare ) but as future update , if it may help to add option , export posed mesh to 3d coat, then re-import as shape key for character mesh)  

This is link of up-dated "Corrective_Shape_Key.py" .  if you often use character with armature, please use it as you like. (And hope if you can merge it as your plug in)  I may keep this link for a while, then if you need it use and test free. (you need to overwrite default add on, in 2.8 program  directory, and linked one only work with 2.8 (for 2.7 we can use official version as same as before)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qj8iwtpwa8k2gq/animation_add_corrective_shape_key.py?dl=0

transfershape.thumb.JPG.dc3660862087090abd668dea6603b873.JPG

• Carlosan changed the title to Blender 2.83 Applink