3DCoat Forums

Blender Applink

haikalle

• Applink Developer

Glad to hear. I think that we can have even more option. "Multiply uv-set that includes udims". I think that Andrew needs to do a small naming fix in his part into 3d-coat and this workflow works too.

• Advanced Member

@haikalle

thanks you try to confrim, but I have never try to make morph for monkey ^^;  though I keep some version up-link, usually I just up-date with Git. then have only 2 ones.

and I mentioned above,, I can confrim, this  problem not caused by your plug in, .  it seems have  happend long time,, ,but I did not test with monkey.

I sometimes fail to make morph, but usually I believed, I should forget some options. (symmetry then merge center near points etc,,)

(blender 2.8 show me many problem with each up-date, and it drastically change every day, so I keep it as test case only)

At current only I hope to know, which type mesh may cause issue, because I have worked more complex (eg mesh hair should have some vertex which almost locate in same place, when I export posed hair,,,) meshes.  then could not find this problem..  (but I think blender szanne mesh arrange can not be good case, which user learn modeling ^^;)

• Applink Developer

I agree. For myself would never model vertices like the way monkey mesh has, but i'm glad that monkey mesh had this vertex order because it was more easy to pick the bug than finding it from more complex model. 
Thanks again for your testing. I think that uv-sets are now in good shape. When we get mesh index right then I hope I can start to use this addon in more serious work.

• Advanced Member

Just to confrim,, when I test with character mesh, (witch applied additional mesh ) or cloth mesh, (generate by MD without clean up) , with your plug in , then count vertices as same way,

it keep same vertex count.  (then I do not know, why it happen about monkey ^^;   ) but as we test,, blender can keep it, after export and import,, then can not report it to blender side.

• Applink Developer

@tokikake I checked my chat thread with Andrew and I remembered wrong, I don't have that version that fixes the welding issue. But Andrew has fixed monkey vertex issue and it will be included in next version. 

Edited by haikalle

• Applink Developer

@tokikake and else blender user. I have made applink to work with blender 2.79. You need this custom build of blender to make it work. Applink multiply uv-set dosen't work with the Official blender 2.79 build.
I made this because in the future I want to make applink support with v-ray and they haven't yet updated their applink into 2.8. Here is a link where you can download it to play with. It's only works with cycle and cycle
nodes. So If you want to have it go with this make sure that first thing you do when you start new project is to set your render engine to cycles. 

I'm not going to update this build so often than I do with the 2.8 because this build is mainly just for me for testing...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1na7QMf4XCJLKCmEYBgD9HKPeBpsxcS0y/view?usp=sharing 

• Applink Developer

I'm planning to remove settings "Create Extra Nodes" and "Goup Nodes". Creating applink group node with extra settings seams that it is always the best way to go. If there is someone who is against
this change please let me know of that.

• Advanced Member

Hi haikare thanks many up-date. I approve, you keep generate nodes in new group node.

And I think, new UDIM option is really interesting for me. It offer new way for me. because I have never planed to use only one material slot.  Actually I recommend, separate material-slot to work easy in 3d coat. but Some times I really feel lazy, then now I only need to separate UVtile, roughly

but keep only one material slot. Then use mask or 3d coat tools to apply textures only where which I need.  (in 3d coat, I can see material group which separated by UVtile)then hen your plug-in auto generate new texture nodes for each color, normal, roughness etc..  

To be frankly said, I still somehow afraid if it cause demerit (use map nodes to positon each generate texture then gather as one) when I change texture resolution for  each  etc,, But as far as I test , I think it seems work without problem.  ^_^  Really amzing work..

Then I have one question about current plug in,, is there opotunity, which may change other mesh which not selected, but it include 3d coat plug in nodes, overwite?

I only could some test with new UDIM option, then it work well about exported mesh. but when I apply edit, (so your plug in generate and set nodes), other clothing which before I edit change maps too.   

I remember the changed cloth include 3d coat plug in nodes group, but at that time, there seems bug, then I manually connect 3d coat generate texture, then un-connect 3d coat group node, from my shader nodes. of the cloth.

The cloth keep all material group as same as before, but the nodes seems change.  I can not confrim, because I do not remember, if  happend to select the clothing, which I did not work in 3d coat, then up-date,  but I hope to ask you, if there may be case, plug in overwrite another mesh material nodes in the scene or not.

Of course if there is case, I hope to improve it. (because we may work hard with shader, then sometimes, after import by your plug in, add original nodes etc, and not hope to change it when work with another mesh.

• Advanced Member

Simply put.

1 I work with shirt. then finish material in blender (with mix use your plug in)

2 I work with shoes then finish material in blender (with use your plug in and 3d coat only, then apply change in blender)

3  I think, it change my materials of clothing too. (about shoes it work as I did in 3d coat,, so thanks)  . I keep original blend file,  which I start to edit shoes mat.. then I can confirm, when I render, it seems change my shirt material nodes,  about 3d coat plug in generate nodes too.

then if it caused by my foolish mistake,, (eg I select cloth , then up-date.. etc,,)  I think these things may happen,,, but if there is some case which may auto-change other mesh material nodes, hope to check it please..    (shirt material nodes seems mix up, with new one though I can easy remove problem with saved one,, so just asked it as report,,)

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member

Then if it only happened be cause of my foolish mistake :dash2:

I hope, if there is way plug in keep track, about working mesh (and textures), then prevent if I select wrong mesh, (which not exported to 3d coat) then apply it from mesh/texture directory :)

Untill new 3d coat up-date (it may offer keep vertex counts), I may not import mesh again, then I think, if plug in can check, texture name (which may need to include exported mesh name etc with constructor setting,, )  and compare with selected mesh name,, and if I select wrong mesh, hope to alerat  "You are foolish, it is not same mesh you exported"" :angry:" ,

then I stop to overwrite material which need not edit :blush:

Seriously when we work in blender for some complex scene, then try to use plug in to change material, there may be case,, we select another mesh then apply without intention, So it is very very welcome, if plug in aleart me, "do not do it"  then stop to apply for worng mesh. 

• Applink Developer

@tokikake Is there a way that you could give a simple blender file that show the issue or the video. Would help me a lot with this issue.

Applink should keep the track what objects are 3d-coat applink object and which are not. Before you press update button, you don't need to selected any objects. Applink should automaticly detect

which objects needs updating.

Also about material updates. Applink should only update the nodes that have 3D-Coat textures linked. It should not touch any other nodes or materials. If it does then this is a bug that needs to be fixed. 
Only time when material nodes are updated is when you delete applink group node. Then applink will bring new group node into node tree.

Edited by haikalle

• Applink Developer

One thing to remember. Let's take for example you have Sphere with Material name called: BodyMaterial. You take this into 3d-coat and then bring textures back into blender. Now if
you dublicate this object. The new object has same BodyMaterial than the first Sphere object. So Now they are sharing this same material. Now if you take this new object into 3d-coat and
create textures and then bring them back blender then the applink is updating the both objects because they are sharing the same material. This can be be sometimes a wanted thing but 
also unwanted. Is this maybe related what you have right now?

There is this feature request I have made in the past:

If this request is done. I would be able change "Global material library" into "Objects material library".

Edited by haikalle

• Advanced Member

Thanks !  I am now enjoying to make new mat with 3d coat, then promise to offer video or blend file. next I see same problem(it seems simply I mistake something?)

I know, blender can easy overwrite mateiral about duplicate mesh (though we can change it by preference, make new material when duplicate),  Blender 2.8 sometimes show strange problem about custom node groups, which generated or copy and paste, so I afraid if it cause matter.

about my case, I could clear see, 3d coat nodes texture changed about different mesh (it perfectly different, so the texture never much). when apply for shoes.   Then I supposed, 3d coat nodes of different mesh seems change at same time.

About clothing, I plug off 3d coat nodes before (which I made with old versions of plug in), but when  I apply new material for shoes, the clothing 3d coat nodes connect again.

(then mix up with my original node group ). Unfortunately, I already correct the scene, then not saved wrong one, then could not show the pic, what happend.

As  your reply, I think if it caused I mix old and new 3d coat nodes.  I now finish one set for cloth and shoes, then may try again. and see how it work, if I made mistake.  Then do not take it seirously, untill I actually offer scene or video, when it happend.

And it is practical request (I hope so), and maybe not change many things, I hope to you add alpha of color map in 3d coat node group, to easy use it.

like these. (sorry,, said different things in one topic,,:blush:

add1.thumb.JPG.1a483709f85c7bd4e49dd693b0c2c0a0.JPG

add2.JPG.ab32f48442bd5e8bd044937a4efea29d.JPG

add3.thumb.JPG.44a71f0ed4f02162e8bfecc1b8df669b.JPG

• Advanced Member

Ah, and your request of 3d coat,, was really important, I confirm and I approve.. hope Andrew offer way . It may make easy to keep textures when user need to change directory.

(I often delete, 3d coat applink mesh, texture directory,,forget to keep them., now your applink offer way to keep each texture in separate directory, it is really useful,, I mistake, and delete them.  because I do not use default directory, for app link,, then need to clean up sometimes.. ) anyway I test again.. sorry to take your time, and enjoy 3d coat and lbender :D

• Applink Developer

Here is the latest update:

- Alpha socket added @tokikake

- Now you can set the number for applink temp folder. For example if you set this to 100. When the folder item count is 100 then applink starts to delete the older files. Reason for this
feature that the temp folder would not take too much space from your hard drive. This setting is disabled when you have set your own folder.

- There was duplicate nodes bug that was fixed.

io_coat3D.rar 

Edited by haikalle
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Hm,, I test again to make new mat for shoes.  then about this time, I duplicate the shoes, (which I merge as one material but keep separate tiles to test UDIM) To confrim, after duplicate mesh, I copy new material then name as custom2.  I clear see, default shoes mat is name as custom 1. so it keep all texture material as same as before.

original.thumb.JPG.8194a54993e246046b0df4158394d578.JPG

then I remove all material from custom2, to import easy. (so there is only default principled shader, with default value for the duplicate shoes)

and I select duplicated one (shoes) ,  then  I change export  directory. (it is not recent version you thanks to offer as link above ,   yesteday I build version and I use it, (up-date plug in too )

After make simple material in 3d coat, I save in 3d coat "Open in original app",  and set options,  then in blender select the duplicate shoes (other meshes  are hidden, and non selectable to confirm) ,  I update..  I see some error message once, but I sometimes see it, then I click again, it generate texture and 3d coat nodes correctly for currently selected mesh and custom2 material.

I hope to adjust roughness  then compare with original one.. (custom1),,  now, the shoes mat change to what I edit in 3d coat.  And,, I check clothing mat,, the mat change too (use new texture which I made in 3d coat for new cloth, and generate 3d coat nodes again,,

changed.JPG.29ab162cf6dab9e3621e2621974cad8e.JPG

I think it only happen, when " 3d coat node group " are included in material nodes. because other mesh, (eg character skin) do not show same problem.

and when I first made materials for the suit, I remove 3d coat nodes from material. but some of them are just un-connect, then only use textures. about these mat (which include 3d  coat nodes, even though it is un-connected, or sometimes, it missing node,, (maybe I delete it once) only change and overwritten by new one . I think.

Just to confirm,, about 2 shoes mesh, they have different material (name, texture, nodes)  then untill I export to 3d coat, I clear see original shoes keep mat as same as before (which I made today)

then duplicated mesh mat is simple white. (to edit it, I remove texture and nodes), and I used the second one to edit material .

I may test with some basic meshes, and new scene..  If it cuased my file already broken about 3d coat nodes,, (I use manytimes same scene, with many version plug in,, then if it may cause issue,, I thnk)

Edited by tokikake

• Applink Developer

When you see the error message please go to menu "Window -> Toggle system console" That opens other window where you can see the errror message.  if you could take a screenshot from that error that would help me a lot. 

Edited by haikalle

• Advanced Member

Maybe I can confirm,, at current, plug in  generate nodes for meshes even though they are different data meshes.

I attach blend file, then check it please.. (I pack all file,then it may show texture too,,)

About this test, I just make 2 cube, then set different mesh,(name) objname, and material name.  and UV change a little. I change 2nd mesh shape too.

then I import first cube  mesh to 3d coat by plug in >transfer,,,  and simply fill all mesh.   then use plug in to transfer texture again.(file>open in original app)

Once I up-date,, this time it generate 3d coat nodes for both obj (mesh), and show textures.  but these 2 meshes have different mesh data. (at least I named so)

and different material name. then it have different UV so, it not work about another one.   I do not know why about above test, my figure mesh keep textures clear..

the append zip file is too large,, sorry,, (I do not know,, maybe texture size?)

======

this time I check command line, but no erroer message, to up-date. it up-date without problem,   then could not offer log sorry.

overwrite.JPG

overwritetest1.zip

Edited by tokikake

• Applink Developer

Thanks for testing. Question. Did you dublicate the cube from other one in test scene? If yes then I might know for reason this behaviour. I'm back to my computer very shortly so I can do more tests then. 

• Advanced Member

Yes I often duplicate,, but as you know, the first test,, the cloth and footwear is no duplicate mesh.

But I afraid, blender 2.8 depthgraph cause issue. (I do not rely much about current status of blender 2.8.)

And I test default cube and sphere, then edit sphere in 3d coat, and up-date in blender, cube actually change texture.:(

ovwrite.JPG

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member

And I know there are many up-date to improve,, then  the correct  import setting in 3d coat,  may different from first one. ,(top page discribed)

So after solve this problem,, hope to make it clear for other users :)

It may  change with each mesh UV and material slots,  which user set. 

(eg there should be case, we should not use separate material as textures, but use tile as UV set. (new UDIM way,,   1mat and 3 UV tiles.  it need to use UVtiles to separate in 3d coat ,)

and there should be case we need to use "Turn on 'Treat material as separate textures'" and force 3d coat to generate UVset as same as material slot (in blender)

(eg 3material, but UV are merged and overwrapped as full mesh..  if just use UVtile,, we can not texture in 3d coat, because overwrapped UV.) 

• Applink Developer

Sorry I ask a lot but I hope that we can solve this. So to repeat test scene issue, the steps are:

1. Create first Cube 

2.Duplicate the object.

Question. about this test scene. Did you transfer first cube into 3d-coat before you duplicate it?

Edited by haikalle

• Applink Developer
56 minutes ago, tokikake said:

Yes I often duplicate,, but as you know, the first test,, the cloth and footwear is no duplicate mesh.

But I afraid, blender 2.8 depthgraph cause issue. (I do not rely much about current status of blender 2.8.)

And I test default cube and sphere, then edit sphere in 3d coat, and up-date in blender, cube actually change texture.:(

ovwrite.JPG

If you could make one video about this scene and issue. Start video when you first open blender so it makes sure that I don't miss any steps when I try to repeat this bug.

• Advanced Member

No. I first duplicate mesh.  . then I know, it use same material, then change mesh name, and material name. (by click to a copy and make single user, so now duplicate mesh use different material.)

And,, now I test with some option,, then I think,, when I export mesh from 3d coat,, now it only up-date for import one.

as I menitoned, I do not need to export mesh again to blender, then everytime I check it off (in 3d coat setting ,when I return it)

• Advanced Member

Ha ha thanks :)  I now did . then actually when I check off "export mesh" in 3d coat option, (and I keep not import mesh/UV in blender option),

it cause this issue ^^;

I know, I should follow default  options ,, but I often try to use options as I like,, then it often show these problem.

after talking with you,, I think, if without re-export mesh, plug in can not check it which is exported one? 

• Applink Developer

I was wrong, I didn't remember to re-name the material. There is no rush but if you can provide ether blend file where I can see bug happening because if I understood your blend scene you send to me the bug 
was already happened and it was the end result. Or then provide a video beginning starting from fresg scene. It would be very helpful. I think that I will find it in the end put ether blend file or video would help a lot. 

• Carlosan changed the title to Blender 2.83 Applink