3DCoat Forums
haikalle

Blender Applink

It's planned design. The purpose of this design is that if you want to resend your mesh it will automaticly remove your old applink nodes.
When you bring mesh back to blender it will create new applink nodes for you. 

I'm open for discussion if this behavior should be changed. 

1 hour ago, haikalle said:

It's planned design. The purpose of this design is that if you want to resend your mesh it will automaticly remove your old applink nodes.
When you bring mesh back to blender it will create new applink nodes for you. 

I'm open for discussion if this behavior should be changed. 

comment thank you.

when I send back from blender to 3d-coat ,  textures is removed...?

RCERROR2.gif

Edited by jene

I have a material already applied to a blender mesh. When I hit export to 3dCOat only the mesh comes in..no material. Am I doing something wrong?

@jene @Grimmy Hi! When you take your mesh from blender into 3d-coat, you can bake some texture info and send them with your mesh into 3d-coat.
Just check this option before pressing send button and it will create textures for you. Right now applink dosen't support back and forth texture updating 
between these two apps. Applink gives and oportunity to take textures from blender but when this is done first time. Then applink assumes that all future texture
updates comes from 3d-coat.

Image001.png

On 7/21/2019 at 12:24 AM, haikalle said:

@jene @Grimmy Hi! When you take your mesh from blender into 3d-coat, you can bake some texture info and send them with your mesh into 3d-coat.
Just check this option before pressing send button and it will create textures for you. Right now applink dosen't support back and forth texture updating 
between these two apps. Applink gives and oportunity to take textures from blender but when this is done first time. Then applink assumes that all future texture
updates comes from 3d-coat.

@haikalle  thank you for your comment.

OK, I checked  "Diffuse" on Applink setting.   the color texture is sent in 3D-coat   : )

but, it is so slowly.   it takes times more than 30seconds to bake it.    I am going to think what is wrong.

Thank you .

@jene If you bake diffuse in blender not using my applink, is that much faster. If does then It's problem in my addon, but if they are same speed then it's just normal behavior.

Hi haikalle :rofl:

When I use alpha , then send buck to blender, your plug in 3d coat node group already have alpha socket but they not connected untill I manually plug them.

2 place need to be connect manually.

1. For 2.8 as you know, principled bsdf finally add alhpa node to make opacity easy (not transparent  properaty= refraction)

then I assume 3d coat node gorup alpha auto connect to princpled bsdf alpha.

at same time it need to set default alpha value as 1.00(white) for your node group. or it may show transparent, if plug in auto connect them to pricnpled alpha input.

at current plug in seems not auto-connect alpha,  but if auto connect it may cause problem.

alpha1.JPG.8e8fc5b745cddc77234f764d0b19d4ac.JPG

2 . in coat node group, most of case, we only need to pick up alpha form  color (diffuse) texture map alpha  , then connect it 3d cpat gorup node alpha input.

if user do not set diffuse as RGBA,  plug in need not connect alpha. but basically as default , I think, plug in can connect alpha node when there is color map. even though user set color as RGB only.   

alpha2.thumb.JPG.529ab46c5c7ba5e666f451332d95d16f.JPG

ideally (though it is not so important,)

there is case only alpha map user will hope to send to blender, then use the alpha map for blender material nodes alpha.

I hope plug in can manage it (as future request), because we can use alpha de-couple from color or diffuse map. (if you can)

eg,, when there is alpha or opacity map user set, use the alpha for 3d coat node gorup alpha. (it depend user, how set export setting, most of user may just use deffuse alpha, I think,, but there may be case user only make alpha map then use it for blender node)

alphaonly.JPG

Edited by tokikake

Committed these changes into applink:

- New live update. No need to press GetBack button anymore. Applink will update your textures when you have exported them in 3d-coat.

- Alpha is improved. Still need some small adjustment with this. TODO: using Alpha texture when exits.

• Like 1

Hi, how do I get the changes? Blender says the version is 5.0.0. Is that correct? If so, alpha isn't working for me.

Cheers

No error . My alpha is just opaque no matter what I try to do. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong. Is there a help doc anywhere for exporting alphas? I've tried hooking an exported alpha from 3dCOat using the Blender nodes and changes the type to something other than opaque but the material remains opaque.

alpha is not fully supported yet. Now applink only use alpha from diffuse texture. I will add better alpha support soon.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Grimmy said:

No error . My alpha is just opaque no matter what I try to do. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong. Is there a help doc anywhere for exporting alphas? I've tried hooking an exported alpha from 3dCOat using the Blender nodes and changes the type to something other than opaque but the material remains opaque.

Do you prefer Eevee for render or cycles?  if you use  Eevee render engine (2.8 default)  need some tweaking about alpha to show correctly.

and eevee have some problem about alpha. (it can not render compelx node group which use refraction, correctly, eg lyaered refraction)

but if you only need alpha to get opacity mask, it work without problem.I may offer setting image.

And  even though at current add on not full support aboug alpha, you can  pick up texture from exported mesh location. 

(the setting is decided from add on UI.) scene property object/texture folder. 3d coat export all texture and mesh (with option) there.

when you up-date texture in 3d coat (export for original app) .

1.  set texture/file path for add on. 

3dcoat1.thumb.JPG.31b6e31acddddfb0ea6d40e62d6b45b7.JPG

2 launch 3d coat, then  use blender plug in, export  for 3d coat from tool panell

3dcoat2.JPG.1c088de8c8f1526588974e52a4c9fa45.JPG

3 make material with use mask stencil or set smart material etc, then "should hide layer 0"  when export (it is already colored, then hide it to keep alpha transparent)

coat3.thumb.JPG.1b5ea51d65f5c6247c79b8e9bc92c97b.JPG

I think there are some ways to export alpha map but usualy I just set up like this.

alphaonlysetting.thumb.JPG.d3f27fc2cd54e542b6f7e72e181d4571.JPG

then ok.

in blender node editor, open 3d coat group nodes. then add one more image texture node, open and select the alpha map which exported from

3d coat export directory,  then connect  image to 3d coat group out put node >alpha socket  (as  you know I connect from exported alpha map,

not use diffues alpha about this test)

I do not know, which color space is best for this case,  but basically I believe I can set" Non-Color" for alpha only map. 

(then I assume I may need not use png, but it should export alpha, then I use it,, )

mycoatset.JPG.c6dd2556d1e71a062afe510068097a40.JPG

any advice is welcom (eg I must need to use color out put node,, etc ^^;  I do not know,)

then it work with cycles like this

finish.thumb.JPG.5a073507235157db32fc213af1defa3e.JPG

for eevee, just use same node gorup, but you need to set srender setting to scrren space reflection, and refraction ON first.

and change alpha setting for materials. You may play with each mode of material refraction setting.

eeveesetting.thumb.JPG.56d57d318c6390b6f25c9df134b4ca86.JPG

• Like 1

Then there should be case, user just hope to export alpha as  "Jpeg"  non color map, (then may invert and use for iray cut out opacity, or old opacity map)

and for blender may plan to use jpeg black and white values,  as alpha value.

opacitybw.JPG.8e103967546ba45f1105b810b963a199.JPG

so about this case (export alpha as jpeg etc, ),, plug in need to use  "color" socket to connect alpha.

Though I do not know, which type alpha map, this plug in will support , (eg only export alpha with png or black and white  as alpha value.

bwsetting.thumb.JPG.300a9a79e04a6cca63c1cca2958ba3a3.JPG

Now alpha texture is supported. Remember to give texture name: alpha or opacity

I attached the latest version here if you want to give a try right now.

io_coat3D.zip

• Like 1

Haikalle thanks,, and may I ask you,  if you can up-date plug in not auto-set object name = mesh name still?

I understand, most of case it cause no problem but with play mesh and rigs etc,, and when I set individuall name for object and mesh (data) in blender,

I hope to keep my customized one ^^;   I know most of case, driver or custom properties work, but it cause problem

about script which need to check object name .

at current my work flow is untill export mesh, I duplicate mesh (and duplicate material too, with user preference setting then keep default one)

but hope if I can just export. (but plug in not auto-set object name = mesh name)

@tokikake Could you test this version. I only disabled object rename feature. This most likely create other problems but please test this one and if you could give some feedback how it works, that would be great.

io_coat3D_TEST.zip

Edited by haikalle

thanks  I try it. and reply later. it is good chance for me too. to understand more about 3d coat texureing work flow.

at same time, as for me, I have not tried to import mesh which build in 3d coat  from your plug in, fully.  

mainly have used to export from blender then make texture,  And most of case I may not return mesh, only improt texture (material)

then I believe, other user need more test too.

Then if it is only problem for me, (actually there is no other user who hope to change current way, I feel)

I expect you keep git version as stable. (untill I could offer full report, about all import export options ,,)

hmm,, I test with 2 material object , without change any setting, but it seems can not import one of material textures at all. 

in blender I duplicate, and set name for obj and mesh separately.

then export as usual way. (keep open 3d coat, then use "send"

then modify materials and save for original apps. 

File "C:\Users\TAKE\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.81\scripts\addons\io_coat3D_beta\__init__.py", line 1243, in run_import_periodically
    bpy.ops.import_applink.pilgway_3d_coat()
  File "C:\myprograms\blender-git\build_windows_Release_x64_vc15_Release\bin\Release\2.81\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py", line 201, in __call__
    ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
RuntimeError: Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\TAKE\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.81\scripts\addons\io_coat3D_beta\__init__.py", line 1056, in execute
    tex.matlab(objekti,mat_list,texturelist, is_new)
  File "C:\myprograms\blender-git\build_windows_Release_x64_vc15_Release\bin\Release\2.81\scripts\addons\io_coat3D\tex.py", line 849, in matlab
    readtexturefolder(objekti,mat_list,texturelist,is_new, udim_textures)
  File "C:\myprograms\blender-git\build_windows_Release_x64_vc15_Release\bin\Release\2.81\scripts\addons\io_coat3D\tex.py", line 348, in readtexturefolder
    createnodes(index_mat, texcoat, create_group_node, tile_list, objekti, ind, is_new)
  File "C:\myprograms\blender-git\build_windows_Release_x64_vc15_Release\bin\Release\2.81\scripts\addons\io_coat3D\tex.py", line 514, in createnodes
    CreateTextureLine(data['alpha'], act_material, main_mat, texcoat, coat3D, notegroup,
KeyError: 'alpha'

though I do not know if it only about alpha problem (I tried to export alpha map

alphasetting.JPG

Ah OK, it seems work. It just not export alpha map, then it cause erroer, if I use RGB with alpha for diffuse, then not export alpha map,

it work, and not change object, mesh name. (though I only export and return material test,, but now I could confrim it work )

hi haikalle. can you make a mini-tutorial about the flow about retopology between blender and 3dcoat, I am very Confused. which button I will click send the model to 3dcoat and which button click in 3dcoat send the model back to blender? I have no idea. I have tried so many ways.  btw I mean Manual retopology.

Yeah, Blender just crashes when I try to send to 3Dcoat. I think I have the latest version you linked here but it still say version 5.0.0 in Blender. Unusable at the moment for me :(

There is some bugs in applink. Right now I middle of moving into my new flat. It takes my attention next two weeks. After that I can again focus more to coding stuff.