3DCoat Forums

Blender Applink

haikalle

• Applink Developer

@Allabulle

I tested and for me it works with that blender version.

If you choose from blender menu -> WINDOW -> TOGGLE SYSTEM CONSOLE. do you see any errors in that window.

you could also send blender file for me to test.

Edited by haikalle

• Contributor

Edit:

Ok, so I deleted everything left in C:\Users\USER\Documents\3DC2Blender and it works again.

It could be wise to document such a potential problem, with the super simple solution as a bonus.

Thanks for the add-on and for checking my issue!

Edited by Allabulle

• Applink Developer

Oh I see. I will fix this soon. If you want to fix manually right now please delete \Documents\3DC2Blender\Exchange_folder.txt. Then open blender and before pressing send button, please set your custom exchange folder into applink settings. But I think I can provide quick fix for this.

• Contributor

OK, so I edited my previous post because I tried what you just kindly answered before having a chance to read it.

If you still need the Blender's System Console output that I deleted from the original post I can post it back.

Thanks again, haikalle.

• Applink Developer

Question @Allabulle Did you used old applink (Where is only send button) I fould out that if you used old applink then switch to updated applink. This error occurs. If you didn't used older applink then I'm not quite sure yet what's the root of this issue.

• Contributor

Nope, @haikalle I just use the one that comes with Blender, with the GetBack button.

It states in Preferences>Add-ons that the version number of the Applink is 4.9.34. I seem to remember, though, that the version number wasn't changed so it may not be that useful. I post it here just in case.

I may have used some older applink before, also with older builds of Blender and 3D Coat. It could have left some settings saved in the exchange directory. Could that be the issue? Once cleaned the folder, as stated in a post before, it works fine.

I still think that documenting this potential issue and the super easy fix could be quite handy going forward. It may not be that uncommon to go back and forth with different builds of either software. More so being all Beta. Just a thought.

Edited by Allabulle
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Hi @haikalle

Thanks for all your work maintaining the Blender Applink.  I've been having some trouble with it since Blender 2.83.  Is that version supported?  I can send to 3DCoat no problem, but I'm having problems when I try to bring textured assets back.

Below is the error I'm getting.  I'm using the version of the applink you posted here most recently.

Hopefully you can point me in the right direction.  Thanks!

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\gavin\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\io_coat3D\__init__.py", line 339, in invoke
    workflow1(ExportFolder)
  File "C:\Users\gavin\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\io_coat3D\__init__.py", line 1356, in workflow1
    blender_3DC_blender(texturelist)
  File "C:\Users\gavin\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\io_coat3D\__init__.py", line 1130, in blender_3DC_blender
    tex.matlab(objekti,mat_list,texturelist, is_new)
  File "C:\Users\gavin\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\io_coat3D\tex.py", line 697, in matlab
    readtexturefolder(objekti,mat_list,texturelist,is_new, udim_textures)
  File "C:\Users\gavin\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\io_coat3D\tex.py", line 300, in readtexturefolder
    createnodes(index_mat, texcoat, create_group_node, objekti, ind, is_new, udim_textures)
  File "C:\Users\gavin\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\io_coat3D\tex.py", line 441, in createnodes
    with open(json_address, encoding='utf-8') as data_file:
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Program Files\\Blender Foundation\\Blender 2.83\\2.83\\scripts\\addons\\io_coat3D\\data.json'

• Applink Developer

Hi can you check if this file exists:

'C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.83\2.83\scripts\addons\io_coat3D\data.json'

if you do have that file then please tell blender version u r using, 2.83.x?

EDIT: I tried with latest blender/3d-coat version and all seams to work ok in my tests. Is there a way to follow steps to see this bug?

Edited by haikalle

• Advanced Member

I'm using Blender 2.83 and the data.json file does exist.  

Could it have anything to do with the location of my exchange folders?  If I leave those fields blank what will happen?

• Advanced Member

I got it working.  I ended up deleting the applink and installing the new version of Blender.  2.83.5 hoping that it would just work.  

Unfortunately, when I did that, there was no 'getback' button, so I deleted the applink included in that version and installed the version you posted here and now it works.

I wonder if the problem I had previously was related to the fact that I installed the applink in my AppData folder instead of in the Blender installation folder?  I didn't check so I'm not sure if that was the issue or if it was the version of Blender that I was using.

I hope that helps.  Thanks again for your work on the Applink!  It makes things go way smoother.

• Reputable Contributor

I am getting the same error as gbball but see now it works for him. I use the portable version not the installed version.

Blender version 2.83.5

Applink version 4.9.34

I completely removed  the version of the applink in 2.83.5 as only the send button was showing up. Same as gbball

Installed the applink version 4.9.24.

Deleted the 3DC2Blender folder. Blender will make a new one when first exporting an object from Blender

Make sure there was no extra information in the Exchange folder or the Blender sub folder. 

Once the above steps were completed I opened Blender:

Used the send button to export the default cube to 3DC, This works correctly and exports to 3DC.

Did a little color work on the cube in 3DC. 

Exported the cube using "export to blender using the Blender applink version" in the export option. FBX file format. Had Created my own folder for the cube earlier, exported the cube there.

Clicked on the Get Back button in Blender.

Same error as ggball though his is working now. 

By the way, "Shift Q" shows only Transfer to 3DCoat and the delete selections, there is no Get Back or update.

See anything I did wrong?

• Reputable Contributor

FYI:

When I remove the applink in preferences, I have no such folder as shown in the picture. That folder is created I believe when you install Blender  and I use the Portable version.

EDIT: Strange...  To test I remove the applink again. Checked the addon folder and  the applink folder was not there.  Go to go for a re-install.

Now here is the funny part. The applink after installing using the preferences menu does not show up in the Blender Portable version of Blender's addon folder though it still appears in Blender.

problem.jpg