3DCoat Forums

Blender Applink

haikalle

3DCoat-2022-18 
Mon Apr 11 21:50:52 2022

- Blender applink essentially updated:

(1) It now kept on 3DCoat's side, as soon as I update it, 3DCoat offers to copy it to the Blender setup.

(2) Sculpt object covered by Factures may now be transferred to the Blender via AppLink. This is the HUGE step!

(3) The direct transfer 3DCoat->Blender works using the File->Open ... in->Blender, it creates nodes fpr ppp /sculpt/factures.

* The one feature still missing - shaders are transferred from coat to Blender, but it will be done too (at least in simplified form).

image.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I'm confused as well.

Which of the different versions and variants of the Blender Applink are we supposed to use, then? And where are we supposed to get it?

Thanks for any clarification on the matter.

Hi,

I was constantly getting the "error" that my Blender Applink was installed but was out of date and instructing me to click OK to fix this. (It didn't fix it when I did click on OK.)

(I am running 3D-Coat 2022.24, but my files are still sitting in a 3D-Coat 2021 folder.)

I poked around and noticed a command windows appear briefly with some sort of batch file running, but this disappeared to fast for me to see what it was.

I ran Camtasia and captured the command window and saw that it was invoking a batch file "copy_applink.bat" that was sitting in \Documents\3DCoat\data\temp\ folder.

The batch file was pointing to Blender 3.0 and was running a powershell, but I have Blender 3.1 installed so the path was incorrect. I changed the bat script to point to Blender's 3.1 path, but the script still failed even though I was running the bat file as administrator.

The only way I was able to fix the problem was to physically copy the files in the \Documents\3DCoat\data\temp\ folder into the proper Blender folder (C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 3.1\3.1\scripts\addons\io_coat3D) I got a warning that the folders in the Blender folder were older than the ones I was copying from the 3D-Coat folder, so I guess that is where the problem was coming with the constant error when I started up 3D-Coat.

I hope that Pilgway will start to clean up its installs and move over to a more consistent path name for presets. Having a preset folder for each iteration of the 3D-coat program can eat up your diskspace. And as for the Blender Applink, perhaps there ought to be a better scripting to accommodate people with newer and older installs.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2022 at 2:41 AM, gafferwiles said:

Hi,

I was constantly getting the "error" that my Blender Applink was installed but was out of date and instructing me to click OK to fix this. (It didn't fix it when I did click on OK.)

(I am running 3D-Coat 2022.24, but my files are still sitting in a 3D-Coat 2021 folder.)

I poked around and noticed a command windows appear briefly with some sort of batch file running, but this disappeared to fast for me to see what it was.

I ran Camtasia and captured the command window and saw that it was invoking a batch file "copy_applink.bat" that was sitting in \Documents\3DCoat\data\temp\ folder.

The batch file was pointing to Blender 3.0 and was running a powershell, but I have Blender 3.1 installed so the path was incorrect. I changed the bat script to point to Blender's 3.1 path, but the script still failed even though I was running the bat file as administrator.

The only way I was able to fix the problem was to physically copy the files in the \Documents\3DCoat\data\temp\ folder into the proper Blender folder (C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 3.1\3.1\scripts\addons\io_coat3D) I got a warning that the folders in the Blender folder were older than the ones I was copying from the 3D-Coat folder, so I guess that is where the problem was coming with the constant error when I started up 3D-Coat.

I hope that Pilgway will start to clean up its installs and move over to a more consistent path name for presets. Having a preset folder for each iteration of the 3D-coat program can eat up your diskspace. And as for the Blender Applink, perhaps there ought to be a better scripting to accommodate people with newer and older installs.

Which files did you copy exactly? I've spent most of today trying to sort this out to no avail.

Hello, on latest version official 3DC applink is update automatically, please give a try.

Folder must be on default location C:\Users\username\Documents\3DCoat

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, wendallhitherd said:

Hey there! I just finally got the applink to work, after a whole bunch of struggling. The main issue is that old versions of 3dcoat interfere with new ones. The secret is: 

- Delete every applink related folder out of my docs. both the app link and 3DC seems to write text files which contain path strings -- if any of these files contain a reference to an old directory either 3DC or blender will automatically recreate that old folder. In my case, every time I would launch Blender a "3DCoatV4" folder would be spawned

- Deleting every applink folder includes, in my case:
C:\Users\16042\Documents\3DC2Blender
C:\Users\16042\Documents\3DCoat-2021\Exchange (I renamed 3dcoat-2021 to 3dcoat-2021_old)
C:\Users\16042\Documents\3DCoat\Exchange

- Open 3DCoat and close it. This will respawn the 3DC exchange folder. (C:\Users\16042\Documents\3DCoat\Exchange)

- Open Blender and plug in the freshly spawned exchange folder to Blender plugin exchange path. I was able to leave the object / texture empty

- Send a Voxel object to 3DC. This will spawn C:\Users\16042\Documents\3DC2Blender folder.

- In 3DC, autopo, automap, and use "export to -> blender". As far as I can tell this will cause 3DC to spawn the C:\Users\16042\Documents\AppLinks\3D-Coat\Exchange\Blender folder. Choose any fbx name you want.

- Export preset should be either Blender Cycles or BlenderAppLink. I used BlenderAppLink

- Back in Blender, click the "GetBack" button. This will spawn the object exported from 3DC and hook up the PBR shader!

2022-05-27 18_18_02-Alarms & Clock.jpg

2022-05-27 18_18_34-Blender.jpg

As a side note I think the applink code on the blender side is hardcoded to spawn 3D-CoatV4 folder, as it keeps popping up after I delete it when I use "get back" out of blender. Luckily it doesn't seem to interfere with anything so long as the initial setup is clean.

Fairly new to 3DCoat, so might take a little to get this working, but thanks for the information! 

Edit: for further context, not sure now to get the autopo stuff to work. Would you happen to have any articles or videos I could use? 

Cheers again.

Edited by I_was_a_Bullfrog

Are you following this steps ?

- In 3DC, autopo, automap, and use "export to -> blender". As far as I can tell this will cause 3DC to spawn the C:\Users\16042\Documents\AppLinks\3D-Coat\Exchange\Blender folder. Choose any fbx name you want.

- Export preset should be either Blender Cycles or BlenderAppLink. I used BlenderAppLink

- Back in Blender, click the "GetBack" button. This will spawn the object exported from 3DC and hook up the PBR shader!

On 5/30/2022 at 7:57 PM, Carlosan said:

Are you following this steps ?

Yeah, I did that. Getback just wouldn't work. I'll give it another try shortly, otherwise I'll just learn to live with the pop-up, unless there is a way to disable it.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2022 at 6:18 PM, Carlosan said:

Hello, on latest version official 3DC applink is update automatically, please give a try.

Folder must be on default location C:\Users\username\Documents\3DCoat

Yes as you said, with recent version 3d coat, the blender applink folda should be default location. 

before we needed to change the exchange file directory in blender , when we use "Relocate 3d coat data". 

I keep to use different data directory in my 2nd HD,  which I set by  "Relocate 3d coat data",.

But about recent version 3d coat,  blender applink exchange directory need to set as default in blender Property>scene

or I could not export <> import correctly.   As for me this setting work.  (Once I delete all old exchange directory, in my PC, then re-launch)

C:\Users\######\Documents\3DCoat\Exchange\

exchangeset.JPG.220195d19fb6639db4c5c6395bf0b449.JPG

So I suppose if I load old blender scene, I may need to change this Exchange path.

And One more. 

When I export new mesh with new/different  scene, 3d coat show import window. but usually it freeze.

I can not click "Accept" and can not change any option in import menu. 

I often need to shut down 3d coat >>  re-launch 3d coat,>> from blender, export again. 

Usually it work..

Edited by tokikake