3DCoat Forums

Ricky's Sketchbook

wave of light

• Advanced Member

Ok, it's definitely when I bake to the paint room with the sculpt still in surface mode. But the problem remains that if I want to keep the detail from using the LC brushes, I have to endure these conversion times when baking to the paint room.

Either that, or I have to return the sculpt back into voxels and lose detail, having to redo detail in the paint room, but with the advantage of not having to wait 20-25 mins.

• Advanced Member

Well IMO it has to be if the main route of development is optimising LC brushes, which give amazing results, but can only be used in surface mode.

Well, at least I know it's not something I'm doing wrong and I now have a decent texture map to work on.

Thanks again mate.

• Advanced Member

Ok, I'm happy to say I have a decent 4K mapped model. He's split into three UV maps, Top body, legs and shorts + teeth.

Now for the detail.

http://3d-coat.com/turntableID=135392278066

http://3d-coat.com/turntableID=135392261116

• Advanced Member

Backwards and forwards between 3DC and LW.. Quick face rig test with base brick shader, wanted to see how the darker cracks would work when posed. What I did find out is at some point I must have messed up the eye sockets, as they don't fit around my stand-in eye balls. Will fix in the tweak room. I was also hoping to get away with just rigging with bones, but I think the face is going to need morphs.

post-3405-0-12225200-1353959752_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

Lol, yes he will... and hopefully it won't take 4x to render the scene ;)

Really enjoyed our Skype session as I feel it was of benefit to both parties. I hope Andrew can use some of our findings and put them to good use.

Cheers,

Ricky.

• Advanced Member

Yer, you're right. I used stand-in eyes and will be swapping them out for better ones later on.

I can make my mind up as to whether or not I add some spec, just small amounts where the brick has warn away or rubbed. What do you think?

• Advanced Member

Specular is probably a good thing to make the cracks edges more sharp.

But I don't think brick must be too shinny. Depends on the way you do it.

When I see bricks, I often remember the schools I saw in Exeter during

an exchange program between our "twin cities" when I was at college (Rennes - Exeter).

We don't use too much apparent bricks in buildings in France.

I thought that was kind of exotic at that time.

Here in Japan, they put a kind of varnish stuff on bricks. It looks fake.

• Advanced Member

Yes, you don't tend to see fabricated bricks that much in France. In fact the only time you really see them is when a newly built house is ready for it's final render (smooth coating on the outside - usually cream coloured).

Love France, would move there tomorrow if I could.

I will maybe do a couple of test layers for the spec and see how it looks in LW.

Cheers,

Ricky.

• Advanced Member

Quick update..

I've done a spec map, mainly on top of the sharp bits, where it would rub etc. but not sure about it though.

Eyes have been replaced with a better version (just need to do proper texture maps for them). Then it's texture the teeth, then back to rigging.

Cheers,

Ricky.

post-3405-0-75105500-1354565744_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...