3DCoat Forums

Gollum

AbnRanger

• Advanced Member

I like the model so far, its pretty well done. However for me it does not look like gollum, partly cause my mind is stuck with the movie version of gollum and partly cause it looks more like a creature - the hands and feets look more like they come from a tiger, also the eyes. Otherwise the muscles on the arm and torse are superb and the nose and mouth give character, serious skills! ;)

• Reputable Contributor

I like the model so far, its pretty well done. However for me it does not look like gollum, partly cause my mind is stuck with the movie version of gollum and partly cause it looks more like a creature - the hands and feets look more like they come from a tiger, also the eyes. Otherwise the muscles on the arm and torse are superb and the nose and mouth give character, serious skills! ;)

Thanks for the comments thus far. As for the creature look. That is pretty much what I was leaning toward. The Gollum character in LOTR was terrific, but in a more stylized version of the Hobbit, I think it helps sell the story if he looks more like a Hobbit transformed into a hideous creature (by the evil in the ring) instead of a Hobbit on crack. :D

If you notice in the original Hobbit cartoon (see the 5:55 point in the following youtube video), he is more of a reptile/creature. As for the large hands and feet, I was leaning toward the exaggerated proportions you normally might see in a cartoon or animation. I didn't want to do a knock off from the LOTR series. I'll scale his thumb down some more. It's a tough choice to make. I did a different version of his head where he looks more menacing, and I really don't want that. Otherwise he looks more like a Goblin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SGLvAFW2YU&feature=related

• Contributor

Maybe try and reduce the broad shoulders to keep more inline with the reference. The jaw maybe looks a little too wide yet the lips are about right in width, this is making his mouth look puckered. In the reference the creature looks Simple maybe a bit dumb the brows on your version make him look angry and this changes the feel quite a bit.

Anatomy wise those broad shoulders look out of place because of the thin chest, reducing the Size of the arms and increasing the size of the belly may bring it back. One last crit maybe reduce the size of the head a little, Everything is there just proportions and beleivabillity that need to be looked at. Just my 2 pence.

Sorry for all the crit Don, I Like your clean approach with Voxel sculpting, Nice to see more characters from you.

• Advanced Member

Nice Sculpt! I wonder how you manage to keep

clean soft surfaces like that.

Is there a "Gollum primitive" in 3d-coat? :)

Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the ring was really cool.

Some may say the animation was poor, but mixing

both cartoon and real actors brought a really special atmosphere to it.

Too bad, they didn't make the second and third story.

Good luck with Gollum.

• Reputable Contributor

Maybe try and reduce the broad shoulders to keep more inline with the reference. The jaw maybe looks a little too wide yet the lips are about right in width, this is making his mouth look puckered. In the reference the creature looks Simple maybe a bit dumb the brows on your version make him look angry and this changes the feel quite a bit.

Anatomy wise those broad shoulders look out of place because of the thin chest, reducing the Size of the arms and increasing the size of the belly may bring it back. One last crit maybe reduce the size of the head a little, Everything is there just proportions and beleivabillity that need to be looked at. Just my 2 pence.

Sorry for all the crit Don, I Like your clean approach with Voxel sculpting, Nice to see more characters from you.

Good tips, Leigh. I'll definitely make some more adjustments along those lines. I intentionally deviated from my original sketch as I wanted to actually flesh out the look more during the sculpting process. Some artists can get a clear picture of what they want and sketch it out clearly. I don't think I have that gift. Instead of just thin, stick-like limbs, I thought it might work better to give him just a little hint of muscle thickness in some key areas (like the thighs...if he is going to be walking more like a quadruped), the back, where he is usually hunched over. But I think I'll take your advice and make the shoulders more narrow.

It's a little tempting to give him a slightly mean look or snarl and it's easy to go overboard with the folds and wrinkles, just to try and get more detail in the face. I'll have to go back to the drawing board a bit in that area. His character is a bit menacing in the cartoon. He tries to eat Bilbo, and goes into a fury when he realizes that the ring has been stolen. I'm afraid if I make him too docile and non-threatening, it will take his character too far in the other direction. Trying to find a good balance here...maybe I'll keep the snarl as a morph target when he's animated, but keep the base a little less threatening, as you mentioned.

Nice Sculpt! I wonder how you manage to keep

clean soft surfaces like that.

Is there a "Gollum primitive" in 3d-coat? :)

Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the ring was really cool.

Some may say the animation was poor, but mixing

both cartoon and real actors brought a really special atmosphere to it.

Too bad, they didn't make the second and third story.

Good luck with Gollum.

Thanks...to be honest, I don't quite understand the comments about the smoothing. I thought that is what everyone does...generally try to smooth as you go and maintain hard edges/creases only where it's needed. Maybe I'm putting too much emphasis on that in the early stages. As for that LOTR cartoon....I thought perhaps there was a shift in production to use posterized live action elements in order to meet dealines or something. There is too much contrast from the cartoon elements and the live action ones. Seems Peter Jackson used that cartoon almost as his own moving storyboard.

• Advanced Member

Nice sculpt!!! I also like these clear forms here.

I even learned how to have a reference photo in 3dc. lol not a joke.

I also noticed that you use ~10M voxel model and fps at 18. Well, same fps on the 32 bit version on my mac pro <or=10M voxel. And I really can't work like this. Practically speaking.

• Reputable Contributor

I also noticed that you use ~10M voxel model and fps at 18. Well, same fps on the 32 bit version on my mac pro <or=10M voxel. And I really can't work like this. Practically speaking.

Thanks. Regarding the FPS, I hadn't noticed...maybe having shadows on, or being in the render room, has something to do with it.

• Advanced Member

Reference photo - Me too. *blushes*

Good work on Gollum, look forward to see him with his skin on :)