3DCoat Forums

SYSTEM CRASH ON MAC

hey there

i have been away for a while and have opened 3DC on my laptop, the program seemed to hang when i opened a scene, so then when i attempted to force quit from the OS my machine hung. This has happened before on my new mac tower as well, but with 12 GB of ram. I can provide the 3dc file if requested.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

• Reputable Contributor

hey there

i have been away for a while and have opened 3DC on my laptop, the program seemed to hang when i opened a scene, so then when i attempted to force quit from the OS my machine hung. This has happened before on my new mac tower as well, but with 12 GB of ram. I can provide the 3dc file if requested.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

It doesn't matter how much RAM you have on your machine, the current MAC version is still 32 and thus can only utilize 4GB max. I don't know if that is the source of your problem, but I have a file or two that crashes the program whenever I try to open it. I assume it got corrupted somehow. Other files open fine.

yes it has happened a few times, opening scenes will crash from time to time and while i was trying out ptex i got a few. However every-time the program crashes, the OS remains active then as soon as i force quit the program it hangs the system. Andrew i can PM you the scene that crashed my laptop yesterday if you like - its 75 MB and i will have to upload it to my ftp. do you read PMs ?

BTW i am only on my laptop now till mid december, and all the other crash history mentioned above was on my 8 core tower with 12 GB ram

• 4 weeks later...

this seams to be a fairly consistent reproducible software crash that in turn hangs my system - increase the voxel sculpt to a fairly big object, use the move tool to move a large section around. You get a prompt advising that 3dcoat is out of memory and has become unstable -and you should save now. click ok . . 3dc crashes, try to force quit 3dc . . . system hangs.

latest beta ( but behaviour has been around before 3.5 )

mac laptop 2.66 Ghz i7

memory 4 GB

cheers

p

• Advanced Member

Post the crash report to Andrew, it may help him.

It doesn't matter how much RAM you have on your machine...

Yes and no AbnRanger, as these are memory leaks and may crash the whole system, not just the 3DC 32 bit. I hadn't any problems so far (10.5.8 or 10.6.4 on a mac pro with 2-3 last builds)

increase the voxel sculpt to a fairly big object

How big? More than 5M, 10M, 20M?

• Reputable Contributor

this seams to be a fairly consistent reproducible software crash that in turn hangs my system - increase the voxel sculpt to a fairly big object, use the move tool to move a large section around. You get a prompt advising that 3dcoat is out of memory and has become unstable -and you should save now. click ok . . 3dc crashes, try to force quit 3dc . . . system hangs.

latest beta ( but behaviour has been around before 3.5 )

mac laptop 2.66 Ghz i7

memory 4 GB

cheers

p

Have you tried to delete your Options.xml file? In Windows it's in the Documents > 3D Coat folder...sometimes that fixes strange behaviors in the application. Such as retopo tools being a bit on the slow side. Delete the Options.xm files and it works fine.

Maybe re-install the latest version as well?

• 1 month later...

Have you tried to delete your Options.xml file? In Windows it's in the Documents > 3D Coat folder...sometimes that fixes strange behaviors in the application. Such as retopo tools being a bit on the slow side. Delete the Options.xm files and it works fine.

Maybe re-install the latest version as well?

I seem to be having pretty much the same problem with the latest build of 3DC on Mac, and the one previious to it... very odd intermittent problems with scaling up voxel primatives (in 3.5.05), and now TOTAL in 3.507(GL Educational) for Mac

--every time I do this, now, I get an "out of memory, save your work" error. and the program "hangs" at that point (switch to the Mac Desktop/Finder, and bring up info on the running programs, and 3DC is "not responding" flagged in RED...

Have to FORCE_QUIT the program, but usuall y do NOT have to reboot the system itself... (although a good idea, to defragment "used" RAM partitions)

I'm running on a brand-new 6-core Mac Pro, Westmere (Intel server) chip, with a paltry 3GB of RAM....

I can pull up a system "crash-log", that I assume will have the detailed process information needed to diagnose//FIX!! this problem, and perhaps move the Mac "build" forward toward the 64-bit objective! :-)

Here's a selection from the tail-end of my system-log (recent activity being a crash-test of 3DC---well, it DID crash! :-//

This is a read-out from the "CONSOLE.app" utility... lists all the various "threads" of CPU and RAM activity... (so they tell me... it's mostly "greek" to me!)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

10-12-27 2:50:19 PM [0x0-0x6ee6ee].com.yourcompany.3D-Coat[41222] 3D-Coat(41222,0xb0b1c000) malloc: *** mmap(size=749568) failed (error code=12)

10-12-27 2:50:19 PM [0x0-0x6ee6ee].com.yourcompany.3D-Coat[41222] *** error: can't allocate region

10-12-27 2:50:19 PM [0x0-0x6ee6ee].com.yourcompany.3D-Coat[41222] *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

10-12-27 2:50:19 PM [0x0-0x6ee6ee].com.yourcompany.3D-Coat[41222] 3D-Coat(41222,0xb0b1c000) malloc: *** mmap(size=770048) failed (error code=12)

10-12-27 2:50:19 PM [0x0-0x6ee6ee].com.yourcompany.3D-Coat[41222] *** error: can't allocate region

10-12-27 2:50:19 PM [0x0-0x6ee6ee].com.yourcompany.3D-Coat[41222] *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

10-12-27 2:50:21 PM [0x0-0x6ee6ee].com.yourcompany.3D-Coat[41222] 3D-Coat(41222,0xb0b1c000) malloc: *** mmap(size=13791232) failed (error code=12)

10-12-27 2:50:21 PM [0x0-0x6ee6ee].com.yourcompany.3D-Coat[41222] *** error: can't allocate region

10-12-27 2:50:21 PM [0x0-0x6ee6ee].com.yourcompany.3D-Coat[41222] *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

10-12-27 2:50:21 PM [0x0-0x6ee6ee].com.yourcompany.3D-Coat[41222] 3D-Coat(41222,0xb0b1c000) malloc: *** mmap(size=13811712) failed (error code=12)

10-12-27 2:50:21 PM [0x0-0x6ee6ee].com.yourcompany.3D-Coat[41222] *** error: can't allocate region

10-12-27 2:50:21 PM [0x0-0x6ee6ee].com.yourcompany.3D-Coat[41222] *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Attached, find a few more lengthy sections of my "crash-log" that SEEM to tie into this.... I've Zipped them for easier handling

Let me know (somebody!! :-) what this all means, and how to make 3DC work properly on my Mac!...

CrashLog-Archive.zip

I've only recently started to use 3DC and this has happened to me twice today. All it takes is some voxel sculpting on a basic head with very little detail. I'll quickly smooth an area and then rotate the scene. I get a freeze of 3DC and then when I try to force quit, my machine freezes and I have to shutdown. My only Console message is:

12/29/10 4:29:43 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[132] ([0x0-0x18e18e].com.yourcompany.3D-Coat[6184]) Exited: Terminated

This is with the latest Mac beta, Mac OS X 10.6.5, Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core, 16 GB ram.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It looks like you was using Sketch tool and produced object was too heavy so that 3DC crashed. There is "Estimated polycount" that may help to avoid problems.

Hello Andrew!

Thanks for having a look at my "Mac" 3D-Coat problem....

It's **STILL** happening--worse now than before! :-/

Reboot my system, then launch 3D-coat

Click on Voxel "cube" icon

Tap space-bar to bring up floating commands-menu window

Select "Primitives" and "sphere"

"Gizmo" appears, with sphere inside

Tap "enter" or "return" or click on "Apply" on floating Primitives-menu-window to "Release" sphere as a voxel object

Sizes below Radius = 100 are usually okay...

Sizes larger than that progressively lose more and more surface as the sphere size increases!

Similar behaviour with CUBE, but NOT with the other primitive shapes.

I have purged my system and re-installed 3D-Coat "from scratch" several times, but the problem keeps on happening

--assorted other "frozen" sessions after creating a fairly "low-poly" blob object, with "out of memory" errors, and I have to force-quit the program

Using the Unix "Terminal.app" to do so! (ie: it's REALLY frozen!!)

Is this something I am doing wrong? Or is this a program "bug"?

Thank-you for any advice! :-)

---------------

System Details:

Mac Pro tower with "Snow Leopard" 10.6.6 (a "clean" install!!!)

Single 6-core Westmere 3.33Ghz 64-bit Xeon chip, foactory installed

3 GB (3 x 1) RAM, factory installed.

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5770

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x68b8

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-C0160C-155

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.436

Software: 3D-Coat Ver.3.5.05B(GL)(educational)

---------

• Advanced Member

From a bit of research these freezing problems in general are caused by terrible at graphics card drivers made by apple. Some apps are more sensitive than others to it. ( I now have three apps that I can regularly freeze things in.)

No idea if apple are bothered enough to fix the issue as they are so secretive they wont even admit a problem.

By the way if you have had to shut your machine down using the power button make sure the first thing you do after is check the hard drive for errors. (Not permissions). Each time I get a hang I have to repair my hard drive. The hard drive has been replaced recently and has no other issues. It only needs repairing after forcing the machine to shutdown due to a hang.

Get onto the feedback thing on apple website and blast them as I have done. Apparently they broke it all after 10.6.2 with the ati drivers.

Cheers

Mike R

• Advanced Member

@MYKYL

Do ATIs work better under WIN OSs? If yes, how it happens and lot of PC users with ATI graphics have similar problems using 3dc?

I use an nvidia and I'm not experiencing these crashes of course. I'm not sure if 3dcoat guys have any original mac at all, maybe a macbook with nvidia, I suppose so.

Please don't compare the apple developers team with the 3dc one. In the past it was Steven Jobs the problem - yes , Andrew wrote that, talking about dev tools -

• Advanced Member

It may be ati in general but there are issues with apples ati drivers.

I am not impressed with Apple support at all and I am not aware of anyone I personally know who is impressed. The main reason is from day 1 problems they can't solve I have solved myself. The same applies to all the other folks I know personally. The stock answer is reformat and recover from a backup for many issues. I left that kind of support behind in the dark ages on windows. lol.

There should NEVER be a reason to have to flatten your system and start again. Its just the easy answer from a help desk with people who have no clue. When I was the manager of a number of support teams in the medical field, if anyone had told a customer to flatten the system and restore from a backup they would have been blasted by me. All problems are solvable if you take the time and think logically.

Anyway that's my anti apple rant over.

I don't subscribe to the apple are the best stuff that some do but I will not go back to windows unless they have an operating system as good in general as OSx. If microsoft started from scratch and ignored backward compatibility I believe they could slaughter apple with a stunning os.

Until then OSx is the best in most ways out there but the drivers currently are wrecked. Probably when they tried to get them tweaked for gaming with help from the steam folks etc.

Cheers

Mike R

• Advanced Member

OK then,

the truth is that I also solved my OSX problems alone, no help from apple. My two macs (macbook pro17 -old with ati x1600 - and the macpro nvidia) never crashed. I have to experience a kernel panic from OSX10.2 period.

But I still remember how many blue screens I had on an expensive ATI x850 on winXP some years ago. My problem is that I still prefer ATIs working on DTP. Unfortunately. :drinks:

• 2 months later...

OK then,

the truth is that I also solved my OSX problems alone, no help from apple. My two macs (macbook pro17 -old with ati x1600 - and the macpro nvidia) never crashed. I have to experience a kernel panic from OSX10.2 period.

But I still remember how many blue screens I had on an expensive ATI x850 on winXP some years ago. My problem is that I still prefer ATIs working on DTP. Unfortunately. :drinks:

Hi,

I am running a MacPro (early 2008) with Win 7 (64) via Bootcamp. I had a GeForce 8800 GT running fine with 3DC on my system (on Windows). Some weeks ago my 8800 crashed and I have replaced it with a brand new ATI Radeon HD 5770. Everything works fine, but 3d-coat. I am not able to use voxel sculpting. It doen't show up any voxel primitive. So it might be an ATI related problem. :-(

3ds max 2011 works fine though.

I did also install the demo version of 3dc on my new MacBook Pro for testing purpose. On this machine (and under OS X) it is possible to use voxel sculpting.