3DCoat Forums

[SOLVED] Applying Symmetry to a single Retopo group

ace63

Go to solution Solved by artman,

Hello everyone,

even though I have bought 3DC some time ago this is my first time posting on the forums, because I am using 3DC in production for the first time now and I ran into some trouble:

Lets say you have a character with different parts (Body, Hat, Shoes, etc...) modeled in the Voxel room and start your retopology.

I split the character up into several retopology group for better overview and quicker hiding of each object.

Is there any way to apply Symmetry only to a single retopology group?

My character (a mean pirate ;) ) has a wooden leg and a regular shoe - once I want to apply symmetry to the hat layer it automatically applies the symmetry to all meshes across

all layers, which is really not what I want in this case, as the shoe suddenly gets copied over to the wooden leg.

I tried hiding all other retopo groups except the one I want symmetrized but that didn't work.

If there is no way of doing this could this please be implemented? It makes retopologizing of non-symmetrized meshes a massive pain.

Cheers,

Leo

• 3 years later...

Hiya, is there a way to turn on symmetry only for one group? Not creation but mirror mode... right now turning on symmetry overwrites the symmetry on the other groups.

thx

• Reputable Contributor

Hiya, is there a way to turn on symmetry only for one group? Not creation but mirror mode... right now turning on symmetry overwrites the symmetry on the other groups.

thx

You could create a symmetrical copy on a selected group of poly's. Easy way to do that is to click the 3rd icon from the right, in the Retopo layers panel (called "Select all faces on layer") > then click on the "Symmetrical Copy" icon in the middle of those same group of icons. I typically turn Virtual Mirror Mode off (from the Retopo Menu) while working in the Retopo Room. It can be confusing to work with.

• 2 years later...
On 5/7/2014 at 3:48 PM, AbnRanger said:

You could create a symmetrical copy on a selected group of poly's. Easy way to do that is to click the 3rd icon from the right, in the Retopo layers panel (called "Select all faces on layer") > then click on the "Symmetrical Copy" icon in the middle of those same group of icons. I typically turn Virtual Mirror Mode off (from the Retopo Menu) while working in the Retopo Room. It can be confusing to work with.

Wow. I came on this page a few times looking for an info about retopo and symmetry and I finally understood how to get symmetry ONLY on some layers thanks to that : Virtual Mirror OFF and a symmetry done from the layers menu. That's great ! Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

I do agree that the Virtual Mirror mode may be a bit confusing sometimes. And it can even destroy geometry from my experience with it. 

That tip with the layer mirroring sounds really nice. I didn't understand its purpose when I first read the tooltip. For me it sounded like a new layer would be made with a symmetrical copy of the old one. Perhaps devs should make it more clear to the user of the effect produced.

Still, I think that saving mirror planes per object in every room for every type of objects is actually a great idea, since you can easily forget to switch to the correct symmetry mode while working on objects with different symmetry planes. Two modes could be implemented: the use of global symmetry setting or per-object symmetry override.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Does someone know how to set the master side for symmetry ? I have a radial one with 6 sides (but any symmetry, even just X) and when I check virtual mirror or if I apply symmetry, all faces disappears as it's another side (that's empty, no polygons there) that's taken as master and mirrored accross all faces.
I know that I managed to change the master by doing thing to the side, like moving all faces away from the symmetry planes, or adding a random face, or restarting 3d coat, but it always only worked once.
Why can't it work just like in the sculpt room where last side worked on is the master ?
Thanks !
an example on a random object:
https://gyazo.com/3ed878e4191408204902190d8c489f56

Ok I managed to hack it somehow, saw something new:
activated virtual mirror, so everything disapeared, but when I clicked to place points on the 5 other sides, it said "wrong symmetry side, click invert mirror" well I have 6 sides so not sure how "invert" makes sense, also "invert mirror" seems to be nowhere to be found in the menus, but then I clicked to place a bunch of dots in the side where I had polygons, and suddenly the master side was set there !
image.png.ef2b7e2b51726147bfb7da241eff8cbd.png

ok, here is the trick:
-you have a retopo that disapears when applying symmetry/mirroring
-activate virtual mirror, everything disapears.
-place a bunch of dots on every face randomly with the point/face tool. (maybe just one is enough, not sure, the magic is just at the next step)
-click clear dots.
-symmetry solved, the side where you have polygons is set as master side.
-ok now it's real stange, whichever side I have polygons on is defined as master perfectly and magically, it absolutely never happens in normal times, on all objects the side is random and polygons disapears, but after doing this clear dots thing the symmetry adapts to whichever side has polygons..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I Swear, i love this program so much lol. and i love how googling questions is actually working now. i just had this problem this morning.. for some reason one side of my poly group wasn't "Mirrored" like it should have been. so i just hit the "Make Symmetrical Copy of this Layer" in the Poly Groups Tab, problem fixed instantly. 

also ive been learning how to actually Retopo.. i normally only 3D Print, but let me tell ya. even for sculpting/modeling knowing how to Retopo for clean edges and stuff is a MUST! so this program has been an Absolutely WONDERFUL! 

• Thanks 1