3DCoat Forums

Massive lagging with merged objects

BUILD: 3.5.04B

Hardware: iMac 2010 3.6Ghz i5, 12GB, ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB

BUG DESCRIPTION:

Some operations become increasingly/very slow when moving/rotating/scaling merged objects.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

- Start 3DC with per pixel painting, choose the tiled subdivided plane to start

- File/Merge Object, choose TiledSubdividedPlane.obj to merge another into the scene

- Switch to Sculpt Mode, click 'Select/Move', 'Select Objects' and click on the plane(s) to select one

- Click 'Move' in the Tool Options and move the plane back and forth continuously

At first, the plane moves fluidly, it 'sticks' to the cursor. Then within a few seconds it gets more and more disconnected, updating the position less than once a second which makes precise positioning quite impossible. Same thing with Rotate or Scale. Switching Modes (Paint, Sculpt,..) also becomes very slow.

Now, if you save, quit and start 3DC again and re-open the same scene, the performance is fine again, but decreases just as fast when doing move/rotate/scale on the objects.

• Advanced Member

Arrrrh! I may have the same kind of problem under voxel mode.

Even with a 3 millions poly file, after working for a while

3d-coat performances starts to get low.

Everything is slow just as if PC was k.o by memory leak.

Just as Metromot said, the problem seems to happen when using pose and transform tool.

I also used "move to" several times for each object in the voxtree when building them out of primitives.

Is there a kind of "history" of all those "Transform, move scale, pose" operations somewhere?

Something that would get bigger and bigger when using too much "pose" or "transform"?

In the end, the application freezes and I have no choice but restarting the pc (can't even go out of 3dc).

I actually work on a brand new pc (windows 7) with 3.5.5B version (64bit), but it also happened with 3.5.3.

What is weird is that it really didn't happened before yesterday even with much more

heavy files. But I must admit that it is the first time I use many objects in voxtree and

tweak them several times with "pose" and "Transform".

At first I though that I damaged the video card, but there's not even the typical fan acceleration sound

when you ask it too much effort. PC just silently slow down. Do you have a hint?

I discovered the problem. I found serious memory leak that happens in this case (2 objects that intersect each other).

But on my MacBook pro it does not lag even if memory consumed relativery quickly. In ling perpective it may lead to crash or slowdown.

Anyway, I hope it is fixed in 3.5.06, so please check (I will post it today).