3DCoat Forums

Sculpting rocks

Eric Dandoy

• Advanced Member

Hello to all,

It's also my first post here. I began with a grid (128x128 polys) that I previously created and uv mapped in Silo2, that was formerly embossed using a displacement brush (the brush was a heightmap made in WorldMachine) in order to obtain a rough shape (now I know how to make those steps in 3D Brush but I was wondering what I could do with that sketch). I imported that grid into 3D Brush and started to sculpt it and paint it using rocks references. Then I exported a mid-res model into Carrara6 Pro (I tried with a high-res model but it caused Carrara to ran out of memory, though it worked fine in 3D Brush, so...) and rendered it using the map in the color, bump and displacement channels. I thing that I will soon have a look at the Inagoni plugin for normal maps, because it could be faster to render. Nevertheless, I'm very happy with my first work, my most realistic renders so far, and I'm gonna work hard with 3DB in the next weeks, it's really fun and I can't wait to discover its possibilities. Let me show you 2 different renders (posted at Renderosity - 1402dandoy). Hope you'll enjoy.

1300215447893d8252e5a.jpg

1300243947893e280014e.jpg

• Advanced Member
Very cool! I like especially second pic, it is very realistic. The first one seem to have stretches on right side. You can use uv-tool to avoid stretches. If you will remap model in 3DB then texture will lay more uniformly.

but anyway, your work looks great!

I don't know if the stretches come from the original uv-mapping or from the texture but I guess you're right and I will try to remap the object one of these days. Thanks for your advice and, let's face it: I'm very happy to be in your gallery :)