3DCoat Forums

Digman's Cravings

digman

• Reputable Contributor

He has real spheres for his eyes now... I do not want a mindless looking cruel barbarian for the final. Worked a a little on his traps and neck. Not a lot of work today, been answering questions at the forums... I hope to give him a dragon companion as well...

post-518-0-48335400-1425094603_thumb.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Someone mentioned hands... got me interested in another hand study... Early wip...

Man, just love 3DC for studies... Started the hand with the 14,000 voxel sphere and still very low in voxel count so I can play with the anatomy till I am happy...

post-518-0-03583200-1426223060_thumb.png

• Like 6

• Contributor

Those hands look very intriguing. They would make a good subject for a metal statue if connected to some body or something to would hold them up in the air. Are you printing your stuff, Dig?

Edited by ajz3d

• 3 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Thanks all for the comments... Ajz3d, I have as of yet have not done any 3D printing...

The girl statue, started to carve out her body, slap clay on carve back till her anatomy is ok... which she is not at the moment. She slightly bending over and I will have to break symmetry sometime...

post-518-0-64001100-1427673380_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

Starting to slap the clay for arms... raise her up off her legs somewhat. progressing slow... I like exploring form. She started out as a 14,000 voxel default sphere..

Just a little insight into how I go about things. I know that I do not proceed rationally but my brain sees this way. I would not work well in a production setting.  :blink:

A album I listen to at times while sculpting...

post-518-0-86714300-1428120656_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 4

• Advanced Member

Starting to slap the clay for arms... raise her up off her legs somewhat. progressing slow... I like exploring form. She started out as a 14,000 voxel default sphere..

Just a little insight into how I go about things. I know that I do not proceed rationally but my brain sees this way. I would not work well in a production setting.  :blink:

A album I listen to at times while sculpting...

well, you have the tools to proceed properly and swiftly and explore form in a much more effective manner if you want it. You have the benefit of the collected techniques of the ancient Greeks, the great medieval sculptors of the Gothic period and the Renaissance sculptors right there before you and digitally the internet is awash in simple and effective means of constructing human and animal form by a host of digital sculptors that teach their techniques for free. To me, that's the satisfying manner to proceed. 

Even an extreme surrealist like Salvador Dali proceeded from fundamental technical training he received at the Royal Academy in Madrid, which is probably the oldest and greatest remaining academy in the world for learning classical technique in drawing and painting and sculpture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Academia_de_Bellas_Artes_de_San_Fernando

C'mon digman don't be stubborn. Devote a certain period of time (one month, three months, six months?)  to classical training (anatomy and creating proportional maquettes to construct the basis of your scuptures) and watch your abilities explode. No great artist ever developed by referring to his own inner visions alone. They all had to contemplate the outside world, study it, humble themselves before it. Leonardo was great not because a bunch of visions magically appeared out of his own skull. He was great because he delved into the world outside, around him that he studied with greater intensity and insight than anyone else before or since. 

Trying to create limbs and hands with fingers using a clay or move tool isn't likely to result in success.  Build various maquettes from pre formed pre measured pieces you create and position and use the power of voxels to fuse them together. Use reference materials, anatomy diagrams, photographs to ensure proper proportions and  correct anatomy. And don't attempt the entire body right at the beginning of your studies. Do a hand, an arm, a foot, the ear etc. Break this very complex form down into its components and master the components piece by piece. A hand alone can be a very difficult section to get right and will require a lot of work and study. You should be doing a lot of looking before you start flinging digital clay around.

You've seen my own anatomy studies in 3d coat documented here. I'm not saying you should do exactly what I do but you can see what I'm getting at and it's the proper way to proceed.

It's simple and it's fun and you'll develop your ideas more swiftly and with greater success once you've methodically gone about mastering anatomy and the tools that are in place for creating it.

Leigh Bamforth; that's the best starting point for any 3d coat artist that wants to be shown how to work with anatomy in 3d coat.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

At this time, I take computer art more as a child... Having fun playing with clay... if that is not artistic politically correct so be it... If I remain a child in art when using a computer, a decision I make as a person is not that a human choice... I have tons of anatomy books... some real sculpting books. Art books of all kinds, so no magic visions here, more of a choice as a human person that I make... I have thought about unplugging the computer again which I have done before, returning to my pencils...

Electrical quantum based devices, I have no deep love for them as I do my pencils except as a medium I have explored...

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

At this time, I take computer art more as a child... Having fun playing with clay... if that is not artistic politically correct so be it... If I remain a child in art when using a computer, a decision I make as a person is not that a human choice... I have tons of anatomy books... some real sculpting books. Art books of all kinds, so no magic visions here, more of a choice as a human person that I make... I have thought about unplugging the computer again which I have done before, returning to my pencils...

Electrical quantum based devices, I have no deep love for them as I do my pencils except as a medium I have explored...

Or you could set aside a month or two to devoting yourself to learning human anatomy in 3d coat and master it to the point where it would give you an immense amount of satisfaction and pleasure. And then you'd realize that computers are the most fantastic and beautiful thing to happen in our lifetime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KclMDhsX6po

Then you could complete the statue of the girl you were making and give her silken tresses, properly articularted arms and hands and legs with beautiful feet. 

How can you be a child? You're a man in your sixties. So am I. And when I was a child I was deeply frustrated with being a child and not having the patience or mental powers to do things as adults did them.  I longed to be an adult and do adult things. Why would an adult want to revert to the ignorance, impatience and clumsiness of childhood? Now I know some people try to paint childhood as a period of angelic innocence but that wasn't my experience at all; I grew up near a housing project for unwed mothers on welfare and their children were all alcohol fetal syndrome retards with the lowest most vicious criminal instincts from grade one onwards.   Childhood to me was more like Lord of the Flies than some idyllic era of angelic innocence. I hated it.

If you don't study human and animal anatomy and proper established work procedures, you're going to miss out on the intense pleasure of sculpting a horse digitally in 3d coat, or Mudbox or Zbrush...

20_04pp.jpg

As for political correctness, I distinctly remember the 60's and 70's and the fact that the politically correct made realistic drawing and painting a taboo, subjected it to a bolshevik purge as it were and it wasn't until the 90's and the demands of the gaming industry and the movie industry that realistic artwork came into demand again and training schools opened that seriously  undertook to offer the training to do it. I suffered under that tyranny so I don't have much sympathy for their catch phrases and perverse manifestos that banished all 3d imagery and the rigorous schooling that it required. 

Tom Wolfe wrote a pretty funny book on that; The Painted Word.

http://www.tomwolfe.com/PaintedWord.html

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

A frax fractal... 3DC image as mesh, some additional sculpting, PBR copper finish using overlay mode, Rendered in 3DC and Twistedbrush for postwork...

post-518-0-52417600-1429577698_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

• Advanced Member

A frax fractal... 3DC image as mesh, some additional sculpting, PBR copper finish using overlay mode, Rendered in 3DC and Twistedbrush for postwork...

That's striking... I really like that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Modelling a Temple in Hexagon, It's been awhile since I modeled. Brain pain...  :blink:  Mike, my friend from Germany,a very good 3DMax modeler helped me to wrap my head around modelling again, Thanks so much for that help!   :drinks:

First Pic, the wip model so far in Hexagon.

2nd pic, love 3DC for designing in 3D... A column idea to be modeled in Hexagon to replace the current ones.

Last pic, just for fun had to throw some PBR material on the temple so far... not the final look...

post-518-0-14565900-1430522812_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-02980000-1430522829_thumb.png

post-518-0-67990400-1430522846_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Some more progress... I now need to work on forming the leg muscle forms to bring them up to the same level as everywhere else. Then go back and start refining all the muscle groups plus looking at my anatomy books etc for corrections...

Body and head---- 2.500,000 voxels so far, lots of room for defining before going to surface mode.

post-518-0-38696600-1445474541_thumb.png

• Advanced Member

Nice work Digman. Is that build up technique with the carve tool or are you in surface mode?

bk

• Reputable Contributor

Nice work Digman. Is that build up technique with the carve tool or are you in surface mode?

bk

I am in voxel mode still but you have some limited surface mode brushes in voxel mode which I use (Surface Mode Tools).

They are based off my surface mode presets. The areas you brush with these brushes are turned into surface polygons and once you press enter they are turned back into voxels. I sculpt some, press enter, sculpt some more, then just keep rinsing and repeating They add material and chisel back quite nicely. The surface mode pinch brush works better than the voxel one.

90% of the work so far is done using these brushes. I do the above because voxel mode is still more forgiving than when you switch to pure surface mode and I do not have to worry about self intersection once they are turned back into voxels. Also booleans are no problem ever in voxel mode. I will run fill voids at times to make sure I have no voids in the mesh. I leave surface mode for last...

In the picture The top 5 are my preset Voxel mode surface brushes... They are my own presets... 

EDIT: A better name for Clay and Rapid smooth would be Chisel for that is what they do...

post-518-0-16245600-1445571661_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1