3DCoat Forums

Digman's Cravings

digman

• Advanced Member

Thanks for sharing your technique Digman. Looks to be a very similar approach to Zbrush clay build up tool...but with all the advantages of voxels. I have experimented some with the carve tool to do this sort of thing but haven't achieved nearly the level of refinement you have. I'll look into trying to see if I can set up some presets similar to the ones you have shown in the image attachment.

Many thanks again for the technique explanation.

bk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

A fun little project. I took a recent 15 minute real pencil head study, took a photo of it. Adjusted the colors and then brought the image into 3DC as a mesh.

Did a little sculpting on it... Pure fun and make the study a little more artisty...  :)

post-518-0-82013600-1446406621_thumb.png

• Like 4

• Advanced Member

A fun little project. I took a recent 15 minute real pencil head study, took a photo of it. Adjusted the colors and then brought the image into 3DC as a mesh.

Did a little sculpting on it... Pure fun and make the study a little more artisty...  :)

This is beautiful buddy =)

• Reputable Contributor

First Substance Painter to 3DC workflow test on a simple model. Model sculpted in 3DC and low polygon retopo mesh but used SP for the high to low polygon baking plus maps and then created the material base in SP.

Exported out the needed maps from SP. In 3DC added more grunge dirt work, lettering and hand painted distress over the lettering.

As discussed in my Substance Painter as a co-companion to 3DC thread, yes they do work well together. Sweet...

** The material idea is not mine... followed a tutorial but I added my own variations.

post-518-0-47838900-1447048888_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

First Substance Painter to 3DC workflow test on a simple model. Model sculpted in 3DC and low polygon retopo mesh but used SP for the high to low polygon baking plus maps and then created the material base in SP.

Exported out the needed maps from SP. In 3DC added more grunge dirt work, lettering and hand painted distress over the lettering.

As discussed in my Substance Painter as a co-companion to 3DC thread, yes they do work well together. Sweet...

** The material idea is not mine... followed a tutorial but I added my own variations.

Are you so kind and explain the advantages in this workflow for using SP here, please. It is really interesting me. I am always looking for better workflows.

Thank you.

• Reputable Contributor

@Taros. let me use the software for a week or two then I will post some information here or in a pm...

What I call a 3D photo manipulation... 

Found the 2D photo at a free texture site.

Use BM2 to create albedo, normal, metallic maps etc.. 

3DC for applying them to a flat plane for PPP work, then creating my own lighting and over painting...

post-518-0-49661800-1447225556_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

@Tony, Now that is a thought...

A concept tree... banged out this 35 minute 3DC tree (Sculpting to paint room) and then painted a 30 minute 2D concept around it for possible later development into a render.

3DC my go to application for freedom in quickly exploring creative ideas... Twistedbrush for the 2D concept... 

Everything thing done in an hour... from the time the idea struck to the time I was done with the concept....  :)

post-518-0-99765500-1447602772_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I am working on a Wip head sculpt for SSS, but after working for a while, it is break time... I have to do something with the model even in it's current state, well so here is is...  First picture.

The other two pictures are of Michael's skin smart materials as a base and I worked up up there. not done of course.. Slightly different skin color in each picture. Tested on the Wip that needs my attention to finish...  :blink:

Last picture... another I need a break image...

post-518-0-29158800-1447990464_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-32503300-1447990474_thumb.png

post-518-0-11301000-1447990495_thumb.png

post-518-0-69231300-1447992143_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

L"Ancien Regime and Michaelgdrs  have gotten me thinking and playing around with SSS... Michael with his excellent faux skin shaders for 3DC and L'Ancien Regime studying and experimenting with SSS.

I have been in Blender working on a skin shader... Everything is just place holders as I was only concerned with the SSS itself...  This in not the final textures or head sculpt.

Things left to do in 3DC...Finish sculpting the head, finish clothing, maybe a uniform of some type (idea at the present), Create real skin alphas and then the texturing itself...

Skin SSS Shader applied to an earlier version of the model... Eyes hand painted atm... 

post-518-0-88186500-1448138685_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-86466200-1448142098_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Reputable Contributor

I've been doing a lot of logical work... Ok, tonight I will do something different. A favorite past time is to take older 2d images into 3DC for some sculpting work and then back to TwistedBrush for some postpro...

Edit: added another variation..

post-518-0-15897600-1452919804_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-75809800-1452920884_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

A fun little project from today.

Free scanned mesh...retopoed---baked for a normal map. 

Applied a smart material I created.

Rendered in the Render room with a little post pro...

post-518-0-53714200-1454753155_thumb.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

@ Tony--- It is a 2D to 3D combo again... Printed on canvas or a laser print would be nice...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other anatomy study got me going again. I brought in a head from another model.

Darn, I am forever cursed with jumper interest disease... 

Ya know me, need some scene to inspire further work...

post-518-0-11256400-1456976943_thumb.png

Edited by digman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

I been dusting off my 2D digital brushes... This is an old 3D base sculpt that I shown a long time ago.. I zoomed in and cropped for composition. Now starting to re work the painting. Showing the wip here as it's base is 3D-Coat. More work to be done..

Enjoying my break....

post-518-0-41336000-1457751559_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 3

• Advanced Member

great looking paintings!

sorry to ask here, but i remember someone here posted a french guys painting application, which ran on opengl and the paints mixed as you painted

it had a very 90's looking beveled purple interface with lots of circles.

[edit]: no worries, found it. called verve. cheers!

Edited by Aleksey

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Learning Photoscan for photogrammetry which I got a few days ago...  I purchased a Sony A6000 \ 24 mega pixels for better photography and to use with Photoscan.  Shot in Raw format, then converted to uncompressed Tiff for use in Photoscan... 68 meg per image... :blink: 

To increase the quality of the model will setup a light studio in my garage. Better even lighting you can reduce the small bumps you get with poor lighting The textures in the case make up for a ok scan.

Workflow was:

Shot 26 images. Just learning so I did not shoot the top or bottom. Use 3DC to close the holes.

Abode camera raw to convert the raw images to Tiff.

Photoscan to create the model and textures.

3DCoat for clean up.

Mudbox for the auto-retopo. appox 8000 polys.

3DC to create the UV set and export.

Photoscan to reproject the textures to the low-polygon model with new uv set.

3DC to bake the normal map

Imported the texture map created by Photoscan into the paint room.

Rendered in the Render room

Done...

Tennis_shoe.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Cool stuff David! Is that a pig skull?
I can imagine you putting this on a tray for the camera shooting.
I like modeling things by myself, but I must admit that photogrammetry results
are amazing!
Are the thin cracks on the skull captured while shooting or did you add them
in the paint room?

• Reputable Contributor
12 hours ago, Garagarape said:

Cool stuff David! Is that a pig skull?
I can imagine you putting this on a tray for the camera shooting.
I like modeling things by myself, but I must admit that photogrammetry results
are amazing!
Are the thin cracks on the skull captured while shooting or did you add them
in the paint room?

The animal is a Warthog. Yes, models are placed on a turntable.  The thin cracks are in the model. They would be more pronounced in the Warthog model but I ran the photoscan settings on medium quality and not high. The texture really brings them out.  I also used the Warthog de-lighted albedo texture as a imported displacement map in PPP mode which is converted to normal map information. This helps too on bringing small details out. You can fine tune the amount of depth for the normal map upon import or adjusting the depth opacity in the layer. 

Your love for Modelling really shows up in all your work... :D

My take on hand done modelling, I still love it. I like expanding my knowledge of 3D and  photogrammetry has many uses. The Unreal 4 Kite demo landscape had lots of photogrammetry objects. I also like it for study.  How does a real world object look in 3D using the model as a study guide for hand modeling and texture creation, like having a reference picture but in 3D.

So in other words it is all art just as real world sculpture and photography though different share as a means of expression through the artist eyes... These test I do not consider art as there is no emotional content with them or composition.

Edited by digman