3DCoat Forums
digman

Digman's Cravings

Some more progress... I now need to work on forming the leg muscle forms to bring them up to the same level as everywhere else. Then go back and start refining all the muscle groups plus looking at my anatomy books etc for corrections...

Body and head---- 2.500,000 voxels so far, lots of room for defining before going to surface mode.

post-518-0-38696600-1445474541_thumb.png

One more update, got some leg muscle form... Now to define and correct... feet and hands also need work...

post-518-0-23803100-1445484456_thumb.png

post-518-0-32167300-1445484552_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

I like your 'build up' technique, David!  I'm embarking on some character creation and you method seems to offer lots of control. 

Nice work Digman. Is that build up technique with the carve tool or are you in surface mode?

bk

Nice work Digman. Is that build up technique with the carve tool or are you in surface mode?

bk

I am in voxel mode still but you have some limited surface mode brushes in voxel mode which I use (Surface Mode Tools).

They are based off my surface mode presets. The areas you brush with these brushes are turned into surface polygons and once you press enter they are turned back into voxels. I sculpt some, press enter, sculpt some more, then just keep rinsing and repeating They add material and chisel back quite nicely. The surface mode pinch brush works better than the voxel one.

90% of the work so far is done using these brushes. I do the above because voxel mode is still more forgiving than when you switch to pure surface mode and I do not have to worry about self intersection once they are turned back into voxels. Also booleans are no problem ever in voxel mode. I will run fill voids at times to make sure I have no voids in the mesh. I leave surface mode for last...

In the picture The top 5 are my preset Voxel mode surface brushes... They are my own presets... 

EDIT: A better name for Clay and Rapid smooth would be Chisel for that is what they do...

post-518-0-16245600-1445571661_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing your technique Digman. Looks to be a very similar approach to Zbrush clay build up tool...but with all the advantages of voxels. I have experimented some with the carve tool to do this sort of thing but haven't achieved nearly the level of refinement you have. I'll look into trying to see if I can set up some presets similar to the ones you have shown in the image attachment.

Many thanks again for the technique explanation.

bk

A fun little project. I took a recent 15 minute real pencil head study, took a photo of it. Adjusted the colors and then brought the image into 3DC as a mesh.

Did a little sculpting on it... Pure fun and make the study a little more artisty...  :)

post-518-0-82013600-1446406621_thumb.png

• Like 4

A fun little project. I took a recent 15 minute real pencil head study, took a photo of it. Adjusted the colors and then brought the image into 3DC as a mesh.

Did a little sculpting on it... Pure fun and make the study a little more artisty...  :)

This is beautiful buddy =)

First Substance Painter to 3DC workflow test on a simple model. Model sculpted in 3DC and low polygon retopo mesh but used SP for the high to low polygon baking plus maps and then created the material base in SP.

Exported out the needed maps from SP. In 3DC added more grunge dirt work, lettering and hand painted distress over the lettering.

As discussed in my Substance Painter as a co-companion to 3DC thread, yes they do work well together. Sweet...

** The material idea is not mine... followed a tutorial but I added my own variations.

post-518-0-47838900-1447048888_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

First Substance Painter to 3DC workflow test on a simple model. Model sculpted in 3DC and low polygon retopo mesh but used SP for the high to low polygon baking plus maps and then created the material base in SP.

Exported out the needed maps from SP. In 3DC added more grunge dirt work, lettering and hand painted distress over the lettering.

As discussed in my Substance Painter as a co-companion to 3DC thread, yes they do work well together. Sweet...

** The material idea is not mine... followed a tutorial but I added my own variations.

Are you so kind and explain the advantages in this workflow for using SP here, please. It is really interesting me. I am always looking for better workflows.

Thank you.

@Taros. let me use the software for a week or two then I will post some information here or in a pm...

What I call a 3D photo manipulation... 

Found the 2D photo at a free texture site.

Use BM2 to create albedo, normal, metallic maps etc.. 

3DC for applying them to a flat plane for PPP work, then creating my own lighting and over painting...

post-518-0-49661800-1447225556_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

@Tony, Now that is a thought...

A concept tree... banged out this 35 minute 3DC tree (Sculpting to paint room) and then painted a 30 minute 2D concept around it for possible later development into a render.

3DC my go to application for freedom in quickly exploring creative ideas... Twistedbrush for the 2D concept... 

Everything thing done in an hour... from the time the idea struck to the time I was done with the concept....  :)

post-518-0-99765500-1447602772_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

I am working on a Wip head sculpt for SSS, but after working for a while, it is break time... I have to do something with the model even in it's current state, well so here is is...  First picture.

The other two pictures are of Michael's skin smart materials as a base and I worked up up there. not done of course.. Slightly different skin color in each picture. Tested on the Wip that needs my attention to finish...  :blink:

Last picture... another I need a break image...

post-518-0-29158800-1447990464_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-32503300-1447990474_thumb.png

post-518-0-11301000-1447990495_thumb.png

post-518-0-69231300-1447992143_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

L"Ancien Regime and Michaelgdrs  have gotten me thinking and playing around with SSS... Michael with his excellent faux skin shaders for 3DC and L'Ancien Regime studying and experimenting with SSS.

I have been in Blender working on a skin shader... Everything is just place holders as I was only concerned with the SSS itself...  This in not the final textures or head sculpt.

Things left to do in 3DC...Finish sculpting the head, finish clothing, maybe a uniform of some type (idea at the present), Create real skin alphas and then the texturing itself...

Skin SSS Shader applied to an earlier version of the model... Eyes hand painted atm... 

post-518-0-88186500-1448138685_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-86466200-1448142098_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

I've been doing a lot of logical work... Ok, tonight I will do something different. A favorite past time is to take older 2d images into 3DC for some sculpting work and then back to TwistedBrush for some postpro...

Edit: added another variation..

post-518-0-15897600-1452919804_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-75809800-1452920884_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 3

A fun little project from today.

Free scanned mesh...retopoed---baked for a normal map. 

Applied a smart material I created.

Rendered in the Render room with a little post pro...

post-518-0-53714200-1454753155_thumb.png

• Like 2

Painted in TwistedBrush. Imported into 3DC  image as mesh, rendered in 3DC. A little more post work in TwistedBrush.

Titled 1968... 

post-518-0-97333300-1455593487_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

@ Tony--- It is a 2D to 3D combo again... Printed on canvas or a laser print would be nice...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other anatomy study got me going again. I brought in a head from another model.

Darn, I am forever cursed with jumper interest disease... 

Ya know me, need some scene to inspire further work...

post-518-0-11256400-1456976943_thumb.png

Edited by digman