3DCoat Forums
digman

Digman's Cravings

I been dusting off my 2D digital brushes... This is an old 3D base sculpt that I shown a long time ago.. I zoomed in and cropped for composition. Now starting to re work the painting. Showing the wip here as it's base is 3D-Coat. More work to be done..

Enjoying my break....

post-518-0-41336000-1457751559_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 3

great looking paintings!

sorry to ask here, but i remember someone here posted a french guys painting application, which ran on opengl and the paints mixed as you painted

it had a very 90's looking beveled purple interface with lots of circles.

[edit]: no worries, found it. called verve. cheers!

Edited by Aleksey

A combo wip work using 3DC and Polybrush... Voxel shader and Rendered in 3DC with a little postwork.

candle holder.png

• Like 4

Learning Photoscan for photogrammetry which I got a few days ago...  I purchased a Sony A6000 \ 24 mega pixels for better photography and to use with Photoscan.  Shot in Raw format, then converted to uncompressed Tiff for use in Photoscan... 68 meg per image... :blink: 

To increase the quality of the model will setup a light studio in my garage. Better even lighting you can reduce the small bumps you get with poor lighting The textures in the case make up for a ok scan.

Workflow was:

Shot 26 images. Just learning so I did not shoot the top or bottom. Use 3DC to close the holes.

Abode camera raw to convert the raw images to Tiff.

Photoscan to create the model and textures.

3DCoat for clean up.

Mudbox for the auto-retopo. appox 8000 polys.

3DC to create the UV set and export.

Photoscan to reproject the textures to the low-polygon model with new uv set.

3DC to bake the normal map

Imported the texture map created by Photoscan into the paint room.

Rendered in the Render room

Done...

Tennis_shoe.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

Oh! That's cool! If I had a good camera, I'd try to make environment maps with a mirror ball too.
The shoe model is great. I wonder how many polygons you have on it (but I wouldn't dare bet on it).

A few more test using photogrammetry and 3DC. No normal map this time but straight to the paintroom. Rendered in 3DC.

123.png

figurines.PNG

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

Cool stuff David! Is that a pig skull?
I can imagine you putting this on a tray for the camera shooting.
I like modeling things by myself, but I must admit that photogrammetry results
are amazing!
Are the thin cracks on the skull captured while shooting or did you add them
in the paint room?

12 hours ago, Garagarape said:

Cool stuff David! Is that a pig skull?
I can imagine you putting this on a tray for the camera shooting.
I like modeling things by myself, but I must admit that photogrammetry results
are amazing!
Are the thin cracks on the skull captured while shooting or did you add them
in the paint room?

The animal is a Warthog. Yes, models are placed on a turntable.  The thin cracks are in the model. They would be more pronounced in the Warthog model but I ran the photoscan settings on medium quality and not high. The texture really brings them out.  I also used the Warthog de-lighted albedo texture as a imported displacement map in PPP mode which is converted to normal map information. This helps too on bringing small details out. You can fine tune the amount of depth for the normal map upon import or adjusting the depth opacity in the layer. 

Your love for Modelling really shows up in all your work... :D

My take on hand done modelling, I still love it. I like expanding my knowledge of 3D and  photogrammetry has many uses. The Unreal 4 Kite demo landscape had lots of photogrammetry objects. I also like it for study.  How does a real world object look in 3D using the model as a study guide for hand modeling and texture creation, like having a reference picture but in 3D.

So in other words it is all art just as real world sculpture and photography though different share as a means of expression through the artist eyes... These test I do not consider art as there is no emotional content with them or composition.

Edited by digman

I forgot to mention this as well, Take real clay, plaster etc and create a real world sculpture. Then photogrammetry the sculpture. I plan on doing that  too. B)  

Ah, thought of another use. Create by hand a landscape. You get to play in the sand and mud again like a kid creating your landscape. Photogrammetry the landscape. Use 3DC to create a height map for it to import into Unreal 4 for your landscape. 

Another test... Exterior small bank by the bay close to where I live... 

Photos taken were de-lighted using Lightroom and then reprojected in Photoscan onto the low polygon mesh.  Retopo mesh 512 quads polys. Baked for nomal map.

Not really a game ready model but this is the process to get there... A good friend and I are going to make an Unreal 4 level just for fun...

Rendered in 3DC.

Grass_Bank.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

That would make a really cool cliff for a video game! I like the roots running here and there.
If I had such a tool (those needed for Photogrammetry), I'd ask girls to take the pose.
And my wife would break her rolling pin on my head :)

Started to think of a humanoid design today. Did a simple mock-up and a 2D over paint to get an idea how to further progress the model...

Just still got to love 3DC for concepting sketching in 3D...

Capture_124.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

Some more work... Started the project from a sphere primitive.

creature_034.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

Started to block in a body...  Now need to block in the teeth and tongue before going further.

blocking_in.jpg

• Like 3

This time an ornamental doodle... Lazy sunday... BBQ, wine then 3DC doodling, mucho fun...

5k appox autopo polygons--- normal mapped.

chest Or_01.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 3

Photoscan model. 

I took the model and wipe drywall mud over the bust before taking the photoscan photos.

Did some minor fixing up in the sculpt room.

Over painted to get the effect I wanted in TwistedBrush.

Man of Sorrows...

Jesus_01.png

• Like 2

Christ! He was covered by mud?
Does mud changes the accuracy of photoscan?
The result looks good. I guess people were puzzled
to see you taking photos of him if it was somewhere outside!

To clarify, "drywall mud" is white and I suspect it was used to cover a polychrome bust.  Nice job, David.

52 minutes ago, Tony Nemo said:

To clarify, "drywall mud" is white and I suspect it was used to cover a polychrome bust.  Nice job, David.

You got it Tony, :declare: It was a test, The object was plastic and about 6 inches tall. Flat latex varnish would have worked too. I liked the effect on the scan mesh. could have sculpted it off but like it...

Edited by digman

Oh it was in purpose to avoid the loss of volume on the bust then?
you put something on it because white plastic only would have been bad?
I feel stupid... 汗

@ Garagarape... It was to cut the gloss on the object. An experiment but I ended up liking the effect...

Part of a 360 painting following Jama Jurabaev's tutorial on 360 painting using 3DC coat. 

I cut out part then did some post work in TwistedBrush for the style I liked...

Eons.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

Cool updates... Can I ask what software you use for photo scanning?

Cheers