3D Coat Forums
digman

Digman's Cravings

This started has a Shadermap2 displacement base on an image. I brought the displacement map into MV mode and saved out a true high polygon version of the displacement map.

Imported into surface mode as a 9 million surface mode object with textures converted to vertex colors and now reworking the image, changing facial features ,body features and details to my own favour, Plus started on the wall details too...

You have to fix things as a displacement map base on an image will have the shadow areas indented and the light areas extruded... So you got some clean up and fixing to do as you work pulling, pushing and building areas up that need it...

Rendered in 3DCoat with a little lighting postwork in TB...

post-518-0-26148200-1343887749_thumb.jpg

Thanks, pixo...

Well, the base model was already there from the displacement map (from an image) exported out as real polygons in MV mode. so I can't take credit for the base model but did have to fix up the displacement map in a paint program to give me a good base to start on.

I am doing my own favour of sculpting details on the base model, as it had a lot of worn features... My goal is to add detail but keep the old look...

Worked on the beard as it was just a mass of worms before, Looks better but still needs work and lots more work to do over the entire model...

post-518-0-92985500-1343929009_thumb.jpe

Another 225,000 polygon sculpt in surface mode with a little vertex polypainting on top of the gold shader...

Also a collection of doodles I'm working on...

post-518-0-74225200-1344402246_thumb.jpe

post-518-0-16171400-1344404503_thumb.jpe

• Like 1

A girl to go with the man... They are both stylized so not following human anatomy completely...

Hair is a stand in... still working on the head covering and other areas, etc...

She is topping out at 330,000 polygons so far.

post-518-0-12669600-1344525259_thumb.jpe

• Like 1

Just a rough concept that popped in my brain today...

yep, war is is here unto tommorrow...

post-518-0-58345400-1344908240_thumb.jpe

Two heads on the spikes --> creepy!

I like the way you combined sculpt and magazine cover, as if it was the real thing.

Unfortunately, in a way, it is...

Thanks for the comments and I'm glad you found parts of the sculpts that you enjoyed viewing.

I am very aware of the fact these are rough and I mean rough doodles, plus renders.

At this present time if I wait to post more finished sculpts, well there would be nothing to post... :blink:

I decided to revisit this render. I brought the sculpt forward, Yeah, I know Michalis it's needs to be sharper... :blink:

All rendering in Blender Cycles and then used Blender's compositor , no post pro outside of Blender...

I will keep working on it off and on...

post-518-0-51074600-1345091394_thumb.jpe

post-518-0-47440200-1345091415_thumb.jpe

• Like 1

Very convincing work on compositor David! A good demonstration of what cycles is capable to do with lighting.

Some thoughts of mine. Please don't take it as critics.

A great experiment on what sculpting is about, this could be the title of you post.

Sculpting has little to do with anatomy or such things. It sounds heretic?

Sculpting has to do with scaling. But what scaling really means?

Sculpting is all about light and shadows. It's how it captures lighting. There isn't any short of clipping path around a mesh, this may exist in our imagination only. Light "eats" the mesh and in the end we have a space full of shapes of light and shadow. This is what a renderer provides, this is what you'll notice in a real museum (under the influence of such ideas)

So, to keep watching the surrounding space while sculpting, trying to achieve a flow of shapes all around, to find references of the surrounding shapes into your sculpt... this is the essence of sculpting.

A little about drawing/2d painting.

Have a square piece of paper, draw a shape. What you have done is to divide the square face of the paper in two pieces of equal importance.

David, sharper details is not exactly what I had in mind.

What I see in your fine render is a rather small sculpt that someone made it gigantic.

What I'm asking from you is months of work on this. I doubt if anyone between us can do it right. It's not easy at all.

Recently blender cycles and blender sculpting (dynatopo) are under rapid and innovating development.

What's innovating? The ability to sculpt and have such wonderful and fast previews from time to time. It's what I call precision.

It's far away from approaches that game industry loves, but it's a new innovative way. Very interesting to some, a useless thing to others.

Hi Digman!

#40 --> Great improve on your last post. Fountain fits nicely with the background! I like the slight blur on the forward plan.

Thanks for the comments..

Another rough doodle as I got bored working on just the head... :wacko:

I will put it on the back burner though I think..

Titled " The Company Man" after he has been used up, washed out and then let go with a watch and a kick out the door...

post-518-0-32248200-1345253810_thumb.jpe

You gave me an idea, Tony, either in his hand or in the gutter all crushed up.... ;)

Yep, the arms are still wacky...

post-518-0-62104100-1345276863_thumb.jpe

Well, he will be shaking his fist when it is not just a blob but not at the heavans. He is shaking his fist at corporate religion...

Lets make "Corporations" in our own image, Be fruitful, multiply and fill the whole earth... :diablo:

I think you hit the nail on the head with "Lets make "Corporations" in our own image," Presumably, it depends on whose image is used. I just finished an article in The Economist describing the financial woes of the Catholic Church (a very old corporation) as it tries to pay for million dollar payouts to each claimant for you know what.

Ooops! I think I may be getting too OT!

Oh, No! I'm turning my thread into a political thread... :wacko:

I know I started. it...

Well, I was talking about the Cult of Corporations... secular ones but they act like a religion... but a corporation is one no matter if it is secluar or religious

But I will let the art speak for itself and refrain from political dialogue in the wip thread... so back to sculpting... now where was I on the blob of a fist... :D

Some guardian doodles to protect the Queen on her journey to the afterlife...

post-518-0-10782900-1345599633_thumb.jpe

• Like 1

A war club... 300,000 polygons in surface mode.

What I still like about surface mode is how easy it is to start from a sphere or another primtive and let your imagination be free to design without having to have millions and millions of polygons... Very fast and fun...

I will need to rework all the straps, rope and screws as they are just idea holders...

post-518-0-67259400-1347204693_thumb.jpe