3DCoat Forums

How can I import a polypainted OBJ from Zbrush for texture bake?

Bumper

Hello all,

I've searched the web and the forum for an answer but to no avail.

Can anyone tell me how to get a polypainted .obj from Zbrush into 3D-Coat for the purpose of baking out the diffuse, normal, ao, etc.

I'm very new to 3D-Coat. I have been using the demo for reto'ing to great effect but I'm afraid I find the rest of the program confounding.

Thanks!

Bump

• Advanced Member

I can't answer your question, but I have a question. Why do you need to bring in your Zbrush model at this point in the process? Does 3d-coat do something

that Zbrush doesn't?

I would definitely recommend trying 3d-coat's painting tools though. I think you will like them.

Tom

I can't answer your question, but I have a question. Why do you need to bring in your Zbrush model at this point in the process? Does 3d-coat do something

that Zbrush doesn't?

I would definitely recommend trying 3d-coat's painting tools though. I think you will like them.

Tom

Hey Tom,

I want to bring my Zbrush model into 3D-Coat for two purposes. 1st to create a low poly version of my Zbrush object (ala retepology tools.) Secondly to then bake out the high rez details and color information out of my Zbrush model as maps (normal, diffuse, etc) that I can then place onto my low-rez version for the purposes of being implemented into a real time game engine.

• Advanced Member

Well, I can definitely see you liking 3d-coat's retopology tools. When I first saw the retopology video, that was probably the moment I felt like I really wanted this program.

Tom

• Advanced Member

I was also wondering if you were trying to actually get the polypainted model out, or just the model with the polypainting already baked onto the a uv map?

Is there even a file exchange format that supports vertex color information?

Tom

I was also wondering if you were trying to actually get the polypainted model out, or just the model with the polypainting already baked onto the a uv map?

Is there even a file exchange format that supporst vertex color information?

Tom

No, I just want the texture maps. I won't need either model (high poly nor the low poly.)

I don't know exactly how poly painting works but I think it's giving a color value to each of the points on the mesh, at least that's what I understand. As far as I know 3DC can only import actual texture images.

Hey philnolan3,

Thanks for the info, you are correct regarding polypainting. I have in the meanwhile figured out how to load my diffuse/polypaint exported from Zbrush into 3D-Coat.

I've successfully-ish baked out my diffuse and normal from 3D-Coat. However there is some funkyness I need to figure out.

One step closer!

Curses!

I'm getting some maps baked out but their not quite right. Here's what I'm doing/trying.

Success-ish:

Load Zbrush .OBJ as reference mesh. Import my diffuse (polypaint bitmap). Texture baking tool -> "use external mesh" (my retopo'ed and UV'ed mesh.)

I get maps with some data on them but they look weird (similar to Xnormal with the padding set waaay high- if that makes sense.)

Total fail:

Load Zbrush .OBJ as reference mesh. Import my diffuse (polypaint bitmap). Texture baking tool -> "use current low poly" (my retopo'ed and UV'ed mesh). The low poly/retopo mesh is imorted via the Retopo tab. I then "merge" this mesh and then do the baking tool.

I get something completely noisy (very similar to the polypaint bitmap) as if the baker is completely missing the UVs on my retopo'ed map.

I hope that makes sense.

This is so much harder to explain without hand gesturing, facial expression and a white board.

Bumper:

Since Zbrush is capable of generating all of these things you need, from a high-resolution polypainted model, internally, what else is it that you want 3D-Coat to do that Zbrush cannot already do?

Personally, I'd just stay in one application to avoid unnecessary complication.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

I, personally choose both apps, as this is the more powerful combination in 3d sculpture. ZB is the missing room of 3dc, 3DC is the missing tool of zb. These two apps can be connected with every possible way. A masterpiece. You can import all the zb tools-meshes, can retopo them, can paint or edit color textures, just do UVs and transfer them on a zb mesh. Endless possibilities, almost.

Being a zb user, just use PM.

Bumper:

Since Zbrush is capable of generating all of these things you need, from a high-resolution polypainted model, internally, what else is it that you want 3D-Coat to do that Zbrush cannot already do?

Greg Smith

Hey Greg, I too would rather just stay in one app. However, Zbrush isn't the best for retopologizing and baking (in my opinion.) Zbrush's retopo tools are voodoo.

Bumper:

Well, if you find you like sculpting in high resolution better in Zbrush, just do it there and import the high poly mesh into 3D-Coat as a reference for Retopo. Do all of the topology and UV's in 3D-Coat, as well as painting and texturing - and be done with it.

In other words, create the maps you need in either one app or the other - but don't try mixing maps and apps, if you ask me.

Greg Smith

Bumper:

Well, if you find you like sculpting in high resolution better in Zbrush, just do it there and import the high poly mesh into 3D-Coat as a reference for Retopo. Do all of the topology and UV's in 3D-Coat, as well as painting and texturing - and be done with it.

In other words, create the maps you need in either one app or the other - but don't try mixing maps and apps, if you ask me.

Greg Smith

I hear ya Greg. Again, I would prefer to do as much as possible in one app. However at this point in time, with the skill-set I have at the moment and while in a time restricted production environment I am hoping to use Zbrush as my sculpt and texture app, (albeit with some Photoshop work on the tail end) Max as my UV tool and 3D-Coat as my retopo and bake tool.

At some point in the future I would certainly be interested in learning 3DC's UV and paint system. However I'm pretty comfortable with all the afore mentioned software at his point in time.

I, personally choose both apps, as this is the more powerful combination in 3d sculpture. ZB is the missing room of 3dc, 3DC is the missing tool of zb. These two apps can be connected with every possible way. A masterpiece. You can import all the zb tools-meshes, can retopo them, can paint or edit color textures, just do UVs and transfer them on a zb mesh. Endless possibilities, almost.

Being a zb user, just use PM.

They certainly seem like good partner apps.

• 3 years later...
  • Advanced Member

I don't know exactly how poly painting works but I think it's giving a color value to each of the points on the mesh, at least that's what I understand. As far as I know 3DC can only import actual texture images.

3dcoat imports the polypaint automatically...it should be there right after importing it. But of course only if u dont voxelize it.

3dcoat can do vertex/polypainting.

Bumper:

Greg Smith

u got the point

• Reputable Contributor

3dcoat imports the polypaint automatically...it should be there right after importing it. But of course only if u dont voxelize it.

3dcoat can do vertex/polypainting.

u got the point

ZBrush has layers and layers of Poly Paint, all the Blending modes, with simultaneous color and spec painting, does it? U got the point.

Edited by AbnRanger
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

to import ZBrush Polypaint info to 3DCoat surface mode mesh you can export your polypainted mesh from ZBrush >3DCoat > Merge>use "merge without voxelizing"

To see the polypaint in 3DCoat's surface mode you have to make sure you are use a material/shader that displays vertex paint.

• Advanced Member

ZBrush has layers and layers of Poly Paint, all the Blending modes, with simultaneous color and spec painting, does it? U got the point.

Excuse me? what was that about bad mouthing? Just said 3dCoat can read polypaint...why dont u relax.

And with "you got the point" I just just agreed that we should try to stay in one software to avoid problems.   

Hi vivi,

I want to apologize for his behaviour, it is unbecoming of a representative of Pilgway. I'm sure most people knew what you meant by your post. I did. I think, from this point forward, things will be a lot more peaceful around this forum. So please, do not worry.

• Reputable Contributor

Hi vivi,

I want to apologize for his behaviour, it is unbecoming of a representative of Pilgway. I'm sure most people knew what you meant by your post. I did. I think, from this point forward, things will be a lot more peaceful around this forum. So please, do not worry.

Javis....I can speak for myself, thank you. Your open cursing on this forum months ago was unbecoming of a representative of Pilgway...so you are the LAST person to make that assertion. You were told previously and explicitly to address any future qualms with the staff, rather than try to take matters into your own hands. Once again...I don't answer to you. It is your job to warn members like Vivi, that coming here to persistently bash 3D Coat (while simultaneously promoting it's competitor) is frowned upon in this forum. This is not CGtalk, Polycount or other generic CG forums. It's paid for by Andrew himself, and a small modicum of respect isn't too much to ask.

We all get frustrated with the app from time to time, but this practice is highly disrespectful..for any vendor...not just Andrew.. He was quoting Greg's old post where he said not to bother to work in 3D Coat, but do it all in ZBrush. His post before that was to...again dig up an old post about the 3DC UI and bash it yet again...in favor of ZBrush's. This has long been Vivi's MO..just like Michalis.

There is a difference between someone who CONTRIBUTES here, occasionally discussing other apps and their merits, and those who only come here to berate Andrew's work.

Hello Don,

Let's be clear, you're a user. The admin staff are no longer tolerating insults, threats, bigotry, antagonizing behaviour nor any bullying of any type toward any user or admin. Everyone deserves respect, at least, those that give it to others.

If you can't contribute in a positive way, you're not welcome here. And yes, we were told by Pilgway staff to ignore your belligerence, but that has changed. So please, take some time off from the forum. Perhaps a week will help you think things over.

Let me repeat: The admin staff are no longer tolerating insults, bigotry, antagonizing behaviour nor any bullying of any type toward any user or admin. No one is exempt. Even if you're a friend of a Pilgway employee. Repeat offenders will be banned.

This thread is now locked.