3DCoat Forums
Boo Boo

Houdini Applink

This Applink only works on Windows because of the '/' being replaced by \\ (as I mentioned in a previous post)

You can easily fix it, edit the OTL, go to the Scripts page and at the very bottom of the code, put a hash (#) in front:

#fpath = fpath.replace('/','\\')

then it works fine :)

Andrew or BooBoo, I'm happy to fix this properly so it works on Windows or Mac/Linux. Works fine in H12 otherwise btw.

Cheers,

Peter B

Actually, sending the textures back to Houdini is also broken... And Ptex is busted, 3dc exports .exr files instead of .ptex

Using 3.7.12 latest on Linux

Hi,

I'm trying out 3dc houdini applink the first time... and got stuck.

The handover from houdini to 3dc works for the geo but not for the textures. I checked the mtl-file via notepad: The two textures aren't generated in their desired location.

So I tried to put the original textures with the correct name into the folder, manually - problem persists, texture doesn't show up.

I tried with ptex paint, perpixel paint and microvertex paint. No luck at all to get the textures in 3dc... :(

Any hint?

Cheers

Marc

System: Win7-64Bit; Houdini 12.0.704; 3DC 3.7.08B(CUDA)(DX64)

I dont use the applink tool at all, feel more comfortable with importing/exporting manually.. :)

As for PTEX, its really easy to get it to work just create a surface shader node or modify a mantra surface shader node and drop in a Ptexture node and load in a .ptx file and it should be working correctly.

Also works great with displacement maps!

Hello. Is the applink between Houdini / 3D-Coat still not working correctly?

I tried it with the latest version of Houdini 12.1, couldn't get it to work. Hard to find good info too.

I like the 3D Coat Houdini App Link. It works great if I have nothing moving in my scene. Is there a way to turn off sending Geometry back to Houdini and just send the Texture maps? I noticed it removes all my Dynamic Functions (RBD) when re-importing into Houdini. The pivot seems to move on the object also. I like JohnnyCores idea of manually importing and exporting.

Glen

Hm, I use H12.1 and have the same problem - when I try to export -

Error running callback:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>

File "opdef:/Object/coat_file_out?PythonModule", line 361, in go

AttributeError: 'SopNode' object has no attribute 'worldTransform'

poorly. I have some question, maybe now you - why houdini dont render NM as well. I try to change my mantra surface, but result is terrible. UV map is good. In 3d coat and maya render was fine, in houdini.....

Will be this applink compatible with the new

Houdini Indie ?

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2853&Itemid=66

Side Effects Software, an industry leader in 3D animation and visual effects software, is proud to announce the immediate release of Houdini Indie which makes all of Houdini’s animation and VFX tools available under a limited commercial license to independent animators and game makers who want to use Houdini during the incubation stage of their business.

ty

• Like 1

Hi Everyone - I am new to Houdini (bloody beginner level) and need some help with using the Applink.

I started my project in 3D-Coat and want to export it to Houdini.

Using Multiple UV-sets I somehow need to convert the sets to tiles on export - otherwhise they share the same 0-1 UV-space (--> attachment)

- Are there some "hidden" :)  export-Options I missed?

Since the Applink-Video seems to be down I need your help

Thanks Jörg

post-39592-0-77959300-1439589806_thumb.p

Choose Export UV Sets as Tiles.

Each UV-set will be treated as a separate UV tile.

thanks a lot :)

- I just discovered, that I used the "export Retopo Object" for my lopoly version (here are no export-settings aviable) instead of using the "Export Lowpoly-Mesh" mode in the Painting-Room

- It would be great to have the Export UV Sets as Tiles avilable from the Retopo-Room

I'm going to bump this thread. I'll do Houdini-3DCoat asset. Do you want this?

Does this applink work in Houdini 15 or is it outdated?

I guess this is outdated. I'm going to create new one.

Edited by mifth
  • Like 3

I guess this is outdated. I'm going to create new one.

Awesome news. Do you think it would be possible to create a preset for importing materials via the applink, similar to how the new 3ds Max Applink does it. It automatically hooks up the image maps into the right channels,and tweaks the output of the glossiness map, so it matches what the user sees in 3D Coat. Most 3D Renders tend to use the Gloss/Specular Color workflow. The Color map obviously goes into the Diffuse/Color channel. The Specular Color map into the Reflection Color channel. The Glossiness into the Reflection Glossiness Channel, and of course the Normal map into the Bump channel. That is pretty much it. The Output curve for the Glossiness map will need to be adjusted, as I mentioned, but that is pretty much all that is required, in Max, regardless of Render engine.

Awesome news. Do you think it would be possible to create a preset for importing materials via the applink, similar to how the new 3ds Max Applink does it. It automatically hooks up the image maps into the right channels,and tweaks the output of the glossiness map, so it matches what the user sees in 3D Coat. Most 3D Renders tend to use the Gloss/Specular Color workflow. The Color map obviously goes into the Diffuse/Color channel. The Specular Color map into the Reflection Color channel. The Glossiness into the Reflection Glossiness Channel, and of course the Normal map into the Bump channel. That is pretty much it. The Output curve for the Glossiness map will need to be adjusted, as I mentioned, but that is pretty much all that is required, in Max, regardless of Render engine.

Right now I want to make fast export/import meshes for texturing and sculpting.

Materials are just a small addition. As most of us use custom shaders in Houdini. And also you would like to put textures into your custom folder possibly.

• Like 1

Hi Mifth

Ty for your work and support

When you created a new one... could please post it on a new thread ?

Houdini Applink - Complete Rewrite

could be ok

ty !

Right now I want to make fast export/import meshes for texturing and sculpting.

Materials are just a small addition. As most of us use custom shaders in Houdini. And also you would like to put textures into your custom folder possibly.

Understood, but to be honest, the PBR maps really help nullify the need for custom shaders. You no longer need a custom car paint shader, if you've created one with Smart Materials in 3D Coat. You don't need a special metal shader, either. The PBR textures drive those special attributes via image maps. This was not the case before the PBR Smart Materials. I know it is like that in 3ds Max. I don't have to use a metal Arch & Design (Mental Ray) material...just a base one. The maps drive the metal appearance, very accurately, too.

By creating a material PRESET for importing and connecting PBR derived image maps from 3D Coat, the user has a good base to start from. If they want to disconnect the map nodes from the base material and use something else, that's not hard to do.

Yep, i'll create a new thread when I finish the asset.

Man, I'm really not sure about textures/shader. It will be hard to support. You can always export/import textures easily.

I did exporting. Only obj nodes are supported for a while. But i'll add sop soon.

https://youtu.be/d8nW2r730W0

• Like 1