3DCoat Forums

Fusion AppLink

vfxdomain

• Contributor

################################################################################

#

# Description: 3D-Coat AppLink functionality for Eyeon Fusion 6

#

# Version: 1.07

#

# Author: Ilia Zaslavsky <|> Email: vfxdomain@gmail.com <|> Web: http://flavors.me/vfxdomain

#

# Credits: Gwynne Reddick <|> Web: http://www.modonize.com

#

# Last Update: 15:15 15/05/11

#

# 3D-Coat Home Page: http://www.3d-coat.com

#

# Notes: AutoAppLink functionality added for compatibility with File -> Export to -> Fusion feature in 3D-Coat

#

################################################################################

Installation:

Unzip the archive.

Copy 3D-Coat AppLink.py, 3D-Coat AppLink (Auto-Import).py and 3D-Coat AppLink (Create Files for Auto-Import).py files to your Fusion install folder\Scripts\Comp, the path is usually:

C:\Program Files\eyeon\Fusion 6.1\Scripts\Comp

or

C:\Program Files (x86)\eyeon\Fusion 6.1\Scripts\Comp

Restart Fusion.

Usage:

In fusion, make geometry node (usually FBXMesh3D or Shape3D) you want to edit in 3D-Coat

active (selected and active is not the same thing, selected node is blue while active is

yellow, so make sure to make geo node active in fusion), then run AppLink UI by hitting

Script -> 3dc_applink.py in Fusion menu bar. Select "Import from 3D-Coat" or

"Export to 3D-Coat" checkbox and hit "OK".

If you choose "Export to 3D-Coat", saving dialog should pop, choose location and name of

the output file (without extension, .obj is set automatically), choose "3D-Coat Identifier"

in the next dialog window, then in the last "Options" dialog you can choose to skip

importing and exporting dialogs in 3D-Coat and pre-select some options. This last step

is optional, you can cancel this window and set all needed options inside 3D-Coat.

Also you should know that pre-selecting this options and skipping 3D-Coat import

and/or export dialogs should work only in 3D-Coat version 3.5.06 and up.

After exporting geometry from Fusion via AppLink script, run 3D-Coat

(or bring the focus to it's window if 3D-Coat was started earlier), a dialog

with options based on your "3D-Coat Identifier" selection in AppLink script should pop up.

Set needed options, hit "OK" and edit imported mesh to your heart content, using 3D-Coat's

rich toolbox for Texture Painting, UV Editing etc. When done, select "File" ->

"Open in Originall App" from 3D-Coat main Menu.

Now go back to Fusion, run AppLink script and select "Import from 3D-Coat" checkbox to

bring edited mesh with textures and maps created in 3D-Coat back to Fusion. A network

of nodes should be created, with color / specular / normals / displacement maps loaders,

2D Texture / Displace 3D / BumpMap nodes for this loaders, assigned to the correct inputs

of the Blinn material, which is connected to the material input of the 3D mesh node.

You can repeat the whole process as many times as needed.

Usage (Auto-Import):

Now you can send meshes to Fusion straight from 3D-Coat, by using File -> Export to -> Fusion menu in 3D-Coat.

Fusion will be started if needed, to get geometry and textures you've exported from 3D-Coat

via File -> Export to -> Fusion menu choose 3D-Coat AppLink (Auto-Import) item in Fusion's scripts menu

!!!---IMPORTANT---!!!

To use File -> Export to -> Fusion feature from 3D-Coat, you should create files needed for this feature to work,

you can do this by choosing 3D-Coat AppLink (Create Files for Auto-Import) item in Fusion's scripts menu

!!!--- Note about Displacement ---!!!

Current version of Fusion does not allows to tessellate imported geometry.

When using Displace 3D, keep in mind that it will only displace existing vertices

and will not tessellate objects. To obtain a more detailed displacement, increase

the Subdivision amount for the geometry that is being displaced (available only for

Shape3D nodes, if you're using geometry imported via FBXMesh3D node make sure to

pre-tessellate it outside of Fusion if needed).

Video Demonstration:

3D-Coat AppLink-Fus_V1.07.zip

Fusion_AppLink_V1.07_Manual_Install.zip

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, i glad that you like it! :rolleyes: Maybe (maybe!) nuke version soon :p:

Your tutorial is actually helping me to learn some aspects of 3D-Coat I wasn't aware of.

I wish there were a 'making of' for the tutorial that went into even more detail for newer users (which might also be useful for getting more Fusion users to purchase 3D-Coat).

Any chance of re-uploading the tutorial at a higher resolution? I can't read the menus and much of the text even on a 1920 x 1200 monitor.

Also, any chance of a zip containing the FBX sign and the materials, etc. used in 3D-Coat to bring it to life? Would be useful to try to duplicate your steps.

Thanks!

• Contributor

Your tutorial is actually helping me to learn some aspects of 3D-Coat I wasn't aware of.

I wish there were a 'making of' for the tutorial that went into even more detail for newer users (which might also be useful for getting more Fusion users to purchase 3D-Coat).

Any chance of re-uploading the tutorial at a higher resolution? I can't read the menus and much of the text even on a 1920 x 1200 monitor.

Also, any chance of a zip containing the FBX sign and the materials, etc. used in 3D-Coat to bring it to life? Would be useful to try to duplicate your steps.

Thanks!

Here you can download better quality 1024*600 version, it's attached to the post:

http://www.vfxtalk.com/forum/3d-coat-fusion-applink-script-t28896.html

About assets, unfortunately i can't upload FBX and image sequence, it is not mine, those files from one of Digital-Tutors "Maya and Nuke integration" tutorials.

• Advanced Member

Here you can download better quality 1024*600 version, it's attached to the post:

http://www.vfxtalk.com/forum/3d-coat-fusion-applink-script-t28896.html

About assets, unfortunately i can't upload FBX and image sequence, it is not mine, those files from one of Digital-Tutors "Maya and Nuke integration" tutorials.

Maybe auto-retopologize the FBX to create a new FBX file? I don't need the image sequence as almost all of the work is on the single FBX sign with the textures you created with CrazyBump.

Thanks for the higher res version, that is much better!!!

Even higher res would be appreciated in future tutorials. VLC http://www.videolan.org can easily re-size to make it fit on a smaller monitor, but can't do much about restoring resolution when stretching it.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Please, any experience about working solution between this script and latest Fusion 6.3? I can't make it works, Fusion 6.3 doesn't register this script in Menu's commands.

Excuse me for totaly dumbness about programming, I've just seen that exstension .pyt don't exist between /comp files. I tried idiotic dumb-solution to rename .pyt to .eyeonscript - and yes, now it can be seen in Menu pull down, but, of course, it doesn't works.

So, where I'm wrong, what I have to do to make it working - or this script is solely made for works with 6.1 version of software?

Many thanks in advance.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...