3DCoat Forums

Phizter's Sketchbook

Phizter

Last weekend I was giving 3D-Coat 3.5.06C a test drive.

The test subject was this orcish fella. Everything from sculpting to render was done in 3D-Coat, starting from a standard sphere. So I though, he would serve good as my first WIP/Doodle post on this forom.

Even though I find that 3D-Coat still does have lots of minor bugs, I think its really amazing how this application just keeps improving. It is getting quite speedy. Things that before were only possible in Sculptris and ZBrush, like manipulating large areas with the move tool, can now be done at the same speed in 3D-Coat. Over the past 6 month I have been using Sculptris a lot for doodeling and concept work, but it looks as if it will soon be rendered redundant. At least in its current Alpha 5 state. I will still be needing ZBrush though, for the final details and to interact with 3DS Max.

post-3165-12919441075083_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Obviously you know how to sculpt. :clapping:

Being also a zbrush user, I just noticed that you're working like in zbrush or sculptris. From the standard sphere. As here we have voxels you can start cutting large portions, do geometry and then for details or anything you wish. Another method is to start merging any obj you like as voxels are the best boolean tool I know. Go fast to zbrush and come back any time. These two apps can work as one. Have fun, welcome to the forum.

Being also a zbrush user, I just noticed that you're working like in zbrush or sculptris. From the standard sphere. As here we have voxels you can start cutting large portions, do geometry and then for details or anything you wish. Another method is to start merging any obj you like as voxels are the best boolean tool I know. Go fast to zbrush and come back any time. These two apps can work as one. Have fun, welcome to the forum.

Hi Michalis,

Merry Christmas ;)

I agree, doing boolean operations in 3D-Coat is a joy, especially on organic objects. The head and the torso, started out as two separate models that I merged into one object once I was happy with the individual parts.

Actually I also did a test bringing the Torso into Zbrush. But before I did that, I made a retopologized lowres mesh in 3D-Coat that I then subdivided in Zbrush and and projected onto the original to ensure that my Zbrush mesh would consist of only quads. This test proved to be quite time consuming, and its probably not a thing I would recommend doing before the very last stage of ones modelling. But then again Im still in the middle of a learning process, so Im not really sure.

Anyways going back and forth between 3D-Coat and Zbrush still appears a bit cumbersome to me. I cant figure out how to control my objects pivot points. Hence when I bring object from Zbrush into 3D-Coat I always have to reposition them. Also details added to models in Zbrush disappear in in 3D-Coat if you are not working with a really high res. Finally I prefer having only quads in Zbrush to avoid artifacts, and so far I havent been able to find a fast way of achieving this when coming from 3D-Coat.

I would love to learn more about this work flow as I really do enjoy working in both applications.

-Martin

post-3165-12933230246445_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
This test proved to be quite time consuming, and its probably not a thing I would recommend doing before the very last stage of ones modelling

Learn how to use guides for autoretopo. Learn how to edit results and eliminate tris and quads.

(there's a nice select palette in retopo menu, select n-gons, select tris, very useful)

Why to do this from early stages? Because you'll find the retopoed mesh is great for sculpting in zbrush. But its up to you.

I prefer voxels up 2-4 M not more. Better tool for sketching and searching a concept.

Have in mind that a fast retopo fast UVs and baking in MicroVertex MV mode is the best way to export a hidef mesh in zbrush. You just reconstruct subs then (as these are quads). The time consuming process is to kill ngons. But its a ten min work, not more.

(there's a nice select palette in retopo menu, select n-gons, select tris, very useful)

Have in mind that a fast retopo fast UVs and baking in MicroVertex MV mode is the best way to export a hidef mesh in zbrush.

Yes I definitely have to get better acquainted with the AUTOPO feature and the retopo tools as well. I didnt even know there was a menu allowing you to select ngons and triangels before you told me about it. That will definitely come in handy some day soon.

When it comes to baking in 3D-Coat I am all green. I have not been baking anything I 3D-Coat yet. Mostly because in the company where I work we have our own normalmap baker, specially tailored for the tangent-space we use in our game engine. Hence when we are doing ingame maps we use proprietary software. And I newer really considered baking maps to be used in Zbrush.

Why is Microvertex better than Per Pixel when baking?

Not only for baking maps, here you can export hi density quality meshes! Thats why. As these maps have quads only, zbrush can reconstruct subs. ;)

Wow. I just tried to bring a model from 3D-Coat to Zbrush via the Autopo-Microvertex road. That is definitely the way to go :yahoo:. Michalis, thanks a lot for spending your time on teaching me how to do 3D. This is much appreciated :drinks: .

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice material too, Is that a shader or sculpted surface

Hi guys, thanks a lot for the nice words. The noise on the surface is a mix between what you get from the Mud2 brush and a shader that I made.

I'm attaching the shader here, for anyone who wants to use it. To install on PC, unzip to C:\Users\User_Name\Documents\3D-CoatV3\Shaders\Custom. Next, restart 3D-Coat and that's it.

Note that the cavity effect in the 3D-Coat shaders currently is a bit weird, it looks like there is some annoying screen space shadow casting going on. this I hope Andrew will fix at some point. However you can always open up the shader editor (right clicking the material icon) and turn down the cavity intensity in case you find it too annoying.

MKG Complex 02B.rar