3DCoat Forums

[Solved] how to import multiple objects into 3D coat into 1 scene

yangtsur

When I tried to import another object to the current scene from file -> import the system will ask me if I want to save and open a new scene. Yes means open a new scene and No wouldn't import the object for you. Then I tried to import from import verticies. By the explaination of it it allows me to import multiple objects into one scene, but as I imported the head of the model, the head replaced the original head from that Whole model just like the description said but still remains in 1 object. I mean, I want to hide everything else when I draw head, hide head when I draw the body and etc... How could I do this in 3D coat?

*Ps. then I tried to import the body section ( I cut the character into different parts in maya ) after imported the head, and the model just exploded. The verticies shots out in all directions just the way it would explode when you mess up the vertices in Zbrush and subD to higher geometry.

• Advanced Member

I think if you're working in the Paint room what you're looking for is 'File > Merge Object'

This menu Item isn't there on opening a 3DC fresh scene but is there as soon as you've imported your 1st object.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
55 minutes ago, hansolocambo@gmail.com said:

? Well I'm in the paint room. I open a first obj for per pixel painting. But I don't have any file/merge...

Hi!

It has been relabeled to "Import Object". File>Import Object

• Like 1

Wow all right ! So simple as always. This drove me crazy. I've been fighting all day long between 3DSMax, 3DCoat, ZBrush and XNormals with lost smoothing groups, f***cked up normals, scale issues and so on. At least this "merge" that's not called merge won't be an issue anymore ! Or so I hope. Thanks Javis :D

Edited by hansolocambo@gmail.com

Well I finally found a workflow between ZB, Max, 3DCoat. And all works fine. I merged all the parts and I'm painting them. 3DCoat is really excellent and the interface is so intuitive that you don't need to follow hours of tutorials to make your way through. A few issues here and there but always quickly fixed. It's really a damn good soft ! Screenshot here of the work in progress. Javis I had many issues yesterday, but you sure helped me a lot. So many ways to import meshes in 3DCoat I was a bit lost.

MetallicChestWIP.png

• Like 3

I'm glad you got it all sorted! I also find 3DC to be a great tool to have in the toolbox. I also agree with you about when issues pop up, they are generally quickly solved.

Nice work on the chest btw!

EDIT: And I am glad I could help even in some small way. :)

• 2 months later...
On 13/08/2016 at 8:37 AM, hansolocambo@gmail.com said:

Well I finally found a workflow between ZB, Max, 3DCoat. And all works fine. I merged all the parts and I'm painting them. 3DCoat is really excellent and the interface is so intuitive that you don't need to follow hours of tutorials to make your way through. A few issues here and there but always quickly fixed. It's really a damn good soft ! Screenshot here of the work in progress. Javis I had many issues yesterday, but you sure helped me a lot. So many ways to import meshes in 3DCoat I was a bit lost.

MetallicChestWIP.png

Can you explain how you ended up applying materials to each mesh/object separately? I'm trying to put each of my meshes into its own layer but I can't. Know of any tutorials?

I can import everything but I can't hide each mesh or apply a different smart material to it. Whereas you seem to have it nailed in the above image.

On 10/27/2016 at 7:05 AM, Ballistic_Tension said:

before importing add a color material in Cinema4d .color id it for different sections on your model a different color / name for each part. Then when you import into 3dc  you should see the Surface Materials  with those materials listed / parted out . if you don't see it go up to Windows Tab drop down list Pop ups  then you can hide them to show and not show when painting. To make it easier when you have alot name your materials as the parts they are ex:   engine_ring     rear_rivets   etc  as to easly know where on your model they are. hope it helps :mellow: 

4 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Thanks heaps Carlosan it works perfectly. And thanks for letting me hijack the thread. 

Can you let me know how you discovered this technique - was it just a matter of clicking every button or is there a tutorial that covers this? 

I notice the "Paint Objects" tab has the same functionality. Makes perfect sense now. So it appears exporting in FBX does in fact spit out separate objects. For the sake of clarity: I used FBX 2010 (the oldest available) and exported the entire scene as one. 

Hi Ashington. Glad Carlosan helped you find a solution. You can follow the same logic using 3DSMax or Maya. Basically you need to create different Material IDs applied to different meshes (Multi/Sub-Object with Sub-Materials in Max for example) and you'll have the possibility to paint and hide separated objects in 3DCoat and each of them will have his own UV Islands that you can regroup later : automatically from the UV panel using the Unify UV command or manually by selecting UV Islands and moving them : on the top menu of the UV section, under Symmetry, you can see the name of the current UV and a command Move Selected next to it. So you select UV Islands and move them around to regroup and organise them. Careful though, save your work in different folders. Unify UV and packing commands generate loads of bugs (inverted normal maps, chunks of your textures that simply disappear, UVs' vertices that collapse, etc). It's great but not trustworthy yet.

Edited by hansolocambo@gmail.com
  • Like 1